Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Random crashes to desktop

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Morgalica
10.10.2012 , 07:41 AM | #1
As the title says I've been gettin em. And prior to 1.4 i got 1 crash to desktop maybe once per week. Now? at least 15-30 a day. Sort of how it was back in jan // feb. Now I've been rather silent about it, but I am getting sick of this crap. I know I'm not the only one who has been getting these I've seen a few posts about it.

With some of the ops fixes out of the way can we expect to see a patch to address this issue next Tuesday?

well here is to hoping I don't have to be yet another EA has lost due to it's poor CEO boardroom screw the gamers give us your cash attitude.

( And yea i know my whine threads won't get anything done but at least I can vent and maybe see if others are going through this as well. Lord knows EA is dead set in their ways and won't change anytime soon. Here is to hoping that a smaller game company can come along and hurt them where they will feel it the most, their pocket books)
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
- Ronald Reagan
Peace is merely a farce put forth by those too weak to fight.

bravotwentysev
10.10.2012 , 07:42 AM | #2
PC specs?

discbox
10.10.2012 , 07:56 AM | #3
I had those crashes too.

On Windows XP 32 Bit (8 GB on my mainboard, 4 GB used due to 32 Bit) - I switched to Windows 7 64 Bit (now using all my RAM), and there are no more crashes like on 32 Bit.

SW:TOR needs RAM, RAM, RAM, otherwise its caching, swapping, and crashing.

zorroazul
10.10.2012 , 08:37 AM | #4
So true. Never played a game that demanded so much RAM as SWTOR.

Foobert
10.10.2012 , 08:52 AM | #5
It just leaks a lot (I guess hero has a crappy garbage collector). The OP hasn't state how long it takes between crashes. 30min? 4 hours?

For me I usually restart the client after a couple of hours. I have task manager up on another monitor and once the mem usage of the main swtor process hits about 1.9 GB I'll restart. swtor.exe is compiled with /largeaddressaware so if you are on 64bit windows it will be able to allocate 4 gb of virtual address space which takes a while to reach (or it actually garbage collects before hitting 4gb). In XP you're limited to 2gb of heap size unless boot.ini has /3gb (which would allow addressing up to 3gb). This is why some people are reporting varying amounts of crashing in 32bit windows (because by default it does not boot with /3gb and the client crashes after hitting 2gb).

Dowd
10.10.2012 , 09:06 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Foobert View Post
It just leaks a lot (I guess hero has a crappy garbage collector). The OP hasn't state how long it takes between crashes. 30min? 4 hours?

For me I usually restart the client after a couple of hours. I have task manager up on another monitor and once the mem usage of the main swtor process hits about 1.9 GB I'll restart. swtor.exe is compiled with /largeaddressaware so if you are on 64bit windows it will be able to allocate 4 gb of virtual address space which takes a while to reach (or it actually garbage collects before hitting 4gb). In XP you're limited to 2gb of heap size unless boot.ini has /3gb (which would allow addressing up to 3gb). This is why some people are reporting varying amounts of crashing in 32bit windows (because by default it does not boot with /3gb and the client crashes after hitting 2gb).
Can you go in and change the size or are you stuck with it. I am running Vista and the game crashes to desktop for me about every 3.5 to 4 hours, unless i stop before then and restart.

Foobert
10.10.2012 , 09:22 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Dowd View Post
Can you go in and change the size or are you stuck with it. I am running Vista and the game crashes to desktop for me about every 3.5 to 4 hours, unless i stop before then and restart.
Use at your own risk:
bcedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

bumps the amount of ram that a single process (swtor.exe in this case) can address up to 3GB in Vista 32bit. That's the best you're going to get. It may let you extend your session until that limit is reached or your pagefile slows everything down.

3-4 hours was always what I got out of the game before things got slow and I restarted the game. Some planets will use more ram than others.

Dowd
10.10.2012 , 09:45 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Foobert View Post
Use at your own risk:
bcedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

bumps the amount of ram that a single process (swtor.exe in this case) can address up to 3GB in Vista 32bit. That's the best you're going to get. It may let you extend your session until that limit is reached or your pagefile slows everything down.

3-4 hours was always what I got out of the game before things got slow and I restarted the game. Some planets will use more ram than others.
Thanks for the reply, but I think I will stick with having to restart every 3 to 4 hours instead of screwing up the computer. I don;t feel like having to reinstall everything.

Tiranea
10.10.2012 , 12:19 PM | #9
I have the same problem since 1.4. While I haven't used a stopwatch, I reckon that the game crashes about once an hour or so? I run Windows 7 32-bit. Is there any hope for me?
My personal SWTOR Fan Blog: Going Commando

Morgalica
10.10.2012 , 12:22 PM | #10
ok just a small update it happens when i start convo's with quest guys or enter // leave my ship basiclly any time a convo dialog is being started.

and as far as my comps specs, they are more than enough to run the game on the lowest graphics and as i said before i didnt have these problems until 1.4 hit. They are the exact same ones I had back in january and feb til they patched it, it seems 1.4 unpatched a whole mess of things.
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
- Ronald Reagan
Peace is merely a farce put forth by those too weak to fight.