Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why cant a class have heal and tank?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why cant a class have heal and tank?

Arkerus
10.10.2012 , 12:52 PM | #21
Two letters:

OP.

It would be ridiculously overpowered. While the WoW devs refused to admit it, classes in WoW that could TANK and HEAL could literally tank multiple DPS, while healing their team. It was terrible, terrible game design and I hope I never see it again.

I'm using WoW as an example because its a prime example of what happens when developers don't control hybrid specs that feature both designs.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Capt_Beers
10.10.2012 , 01:51 PM | #22
Imagine a Shadow tank that could heal like a Sage. They would be immortal.

My Shadow approves of this suggestion.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics

AshlaBoga
10.11.2012 , 07:36 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
Imagine a Shadow tank that could heal like a Sage. They would be immortal.

My Shadow approves of this suggestion.
Well an Assassin with Talos soloed HM Malgus.

An Assassin with Sorc healing abilities? Story Annihilator, Gharj, Bonethrasher, Jarg & Sorno, and Foreman Crusher.

That's 4/10 SM Tier 1 Operation bosses. That would be a bit OP yes.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

DarkSaberMaster
10.11.2012 , 07:48 PM | #24
Yes. Please give me a class that can do everything wrapped in one so I can never die in PvP and solo HM EC.
Daage: (Serenity Shadow) Daege: (AP Powertech)
Durenzo: (Ruffian Scoundrel) The Harbinger
Referral link for free stuff

Knockerz
10.11.2012 , 07:50 PM | #25
One only needs to look at death knights from wow to see a healing and tanking class isn't a very good idea, especially for pvp.
Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc

GARhenus
10.11.2012 , 08:04 PM | #26
I think the class is called Blissey. hee hee

Foobert
10.11.2012 , 08:50 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
Jug: Heavy Tank or DPS
Shadow: Stealth Tank or DPS
Powertech: DPS or Tank
Sorc: Healer or DPS
Merc: DPS or Healer
Operative: Healer or DPS*

*No one in my guild everyone wants to take an Operative DPS into progression runs, is that just closed mindedness or is there something lacking with Operative (PvE) DPS?
Only because the minmaxers consider the Operative DPS branch to be half-assed. You can't fully support heals and you can't output as much DPS as a sniper.

Kitru
10.12.2012 , 12:58 PM | #28
First off, it's important to remember that there is a difference between a tank with self heals and a class that can heal or tank via separate specs. The primary difference is that one can offer substantive healing to other people while the other can only offer substantive healing to their own person (as balanced against the other tanks as part of their mitigation/survival paradigm). There isn't any explicit reason why it would be broken to have a class that can fulfill all 3 roles within discrete specs based upon this: tanking would be discrete from healing by virtue of tank stance and gearing and healing would be discrete from tanking for much the same reason that DPS with heals are discrete from legitimate heals (talents are required to make most heals worthwhile).

Secondly, because spec differentiation has to be effectively enforced (so that you can't be an effective healer without being heal spec, effective DPS without being DPS spec, or effective tank without being tank spec), you would have problems with the early game and skill tree design. Because all 3 of the specs would receive, baseline, all of the minimal tools to be effective at their relevant roles (2 hardcast heals, a tank stance, some effective attacks) and the ability to create hybrid specs, the most important skills to the relevant roles would have to be delayed until late (4th tier) in the trees to prevent unintended hybridization (and, even then, there would still be a risk; just reference tank Guardians and you'll see why). The problem with this is that it would make it a complete *chore* to be a low level member of this class. While it's normal for a class to not be effective at its intended role until the low-to-mid-20s (at least in TOR), this one would have to wait until the early-30s most likely.

The most likely reason for not having a single AC that can fulfill all 3 roles is twofold: it's a crapton of work to design a class that can fulfill all 3 roles without having the other roles bleed over too heavily into the others and the developers didn't want there to be a single class to do absolutely everything. I expect it was as more of a specific design decision than a developmentally difficult problem that they didn't want to deal with, however.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

epicfear
10.14.2012 , 08:19 PM | #29
Just imagine a class that could damage like a marauder, heal like an operative, and tank like a juggernaut, assassin, and powertech combined.

Oh yeah, i just went there.
Copy this signature if you believe Timothy Zahn should take over the Star Wars EU

NogueiraA
10.15.2012 , 11:35 AM | #30
Marauders can tank and heal