Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it still worth playing SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Is it still worth playing SWTOR?

Javed
10.09.2012 , 09:48 PM | #1
I've just joined swtor and have tried it for the first time. I'm in love with it. This is the best MMO i've ever played in my life and i never want to switch back to wow.

However, my concern is that this game is dying. I live in the UK, so cannot play on US servers due to high latency. I really want to make some good friends through guilds as well!

Is it still worth playing swtor and progressing to end game? Or will the game have collapsed by then?
"Fear. Fear attracts the fearful. The strong. The weak. The innocent. The corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally."

jarjarloves
10.09.2012 , 09:52 PM | #2
if you enjoy it then play it until it isnt fun

Javed
10.09.2012 , 09:54 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
if you enjoy it then play it until it isnt fun
A more in depth answer would be appreciated
"Fear. Fear attracts the fearful. The strong. The weak. The innocent. The corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally."

Chiltonium
10.09.2012 , 09:57 PM | #4
I have no idea about the EU servers.

The US servers are pretty populated cept for Jung Ma (which I have the misfortune of having my legacy on).

Ebon Hawke, Prophecy of the Five, etc, have TONS of people on all the time. hell, 50 people in noob areas, 130 on dromund kas, 210 on imperial fleet when I logged in earlier today, thats near launch numbers. Not dying, just consolidating. Most MMOs only run 6 or so servers, WoW is the exception to the rule, not the standard.
Syasentas - 55 Operative
Syadestis - 55 Powertech
Syaseheth - 55 Assassin
SyasehethS - 55 Juggernaut (yea, same name with an s, so what, wanna fight about it?)

AidanLightwalker
10.09.2012 , 09:57 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Im sure Im not alone when I say, I plan to play this game for a very long time. I don't think it's going anyware soon.
Even the smallest of light sources can light up the darkness.
Nyren - Combat Sentinel Ewenn - Shield Vanguard
Kyrenn - Scoundrel SawbonesSyrenn - Telekinetics Sage

jarjarloves
10.09.2012 , 09:58 PM | #6
why? cant you make up your own mind?

fine Swtor is the second largest western MMO out there. It's not going to die any time soon. Yes it's going F2P but as we have seen with DCUO, LotrO, DDO and others F2P adds new life and new content. With out F2P LotrO wouldn't be on its 4th expansion and DDO wouldn't be on it's first.

F2P is the future of PC gaming. LoL, TF2, Dota2, and others are huge. Plus BLizz has been talking about making SC2 F2P and you can play the first act of Diablo3 F2P for the time being. GW2 has shown subscription models are going away as well.

So if you enjoy it then go play it.

Urushira
10.09.2012 , 09:58 PM | #7
Thats not really a question anyone else but you can answer, as its looking for a value judgement call. since no one else has your values, no one can answer the question to the depths that you may wish to have it answered.. Only you can decide if its worth it for you..

GalacticKegger
10.09.2012 , 09:59 PM | #8
Walking away from a good time because a troubled few spray paint doom & gloom on the bathroom walls would be doing yourself and the community a disservice imho. If it's fun stay with it. That's how the game will continue to grow.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

Arturioss
10.09.2012 , 09:59 PM | #9
Of course it is! Especially as a new player you have lots of content infront of you. SWTOR isn't dying because many new players are starting with that game now - it is extremely cheap at the moment and people want to gain the extra points you get at the f2p launch. Hell, even my girlfriend and brother started playing it.

Also, after the merges, most of the servers are pretty alive - you can see many fellow campaigners fighting and dancing next to you!

What is important to you in the endgame? If you like raids, warzones and dungeons, then it should be fine for you.The only thing you could miss, if you are a good player, is the challenge. Even the latest hardmodes are relatively easy to finish then.

Javed
10.09.2012 , 10:06 PM | #10
Wow that's incredible. I get around 90ms latency on US, but it may be worth it if the population is that high.

I'm just worried that i'll have nothing to do at level 50 due to a lack of people playing.