Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Memory Leaks In SW:TOR


Mikeximus's Avatar


Mikeximus
10.09.2012 , 12:38 PM | #1
Does anyone know of anything official from BioWare on Memory Leaks in the game? I am tired of firing up the game and seeing that my RAM usage is at roughly 50%, and after about an hour of going in and out of FP's and WZ's my RAM usage has slowly crept to 85%.

To make sure it wasn't my system I have run other programs and games on my pc and have not experienced anything like what I see in SWTOR as far as the memory issue.

Any info would help...

TMar's Avatar


TMar
10.09.2012 , 12:45 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Mikeximus View Post
Does anyone know of anything official from BioWare on Memory Leaks in the game? I am tired of firing up the game and seeing that my RAM usage is at roughly 50%, and after about an hour of going in and out of FP's and WZ's my RAM usage has slowly crept to 85%.

To make sure it wasn't my system I have run other programs and games on my pc and have not experienced anything like what I see in SWTOR as far as the memory issue.

Any info would help...
That's not a direct indication of memory leak. As you load different things from the game files (zones, armor art, sounds, NPC models, character models ect) all these things get cache in memory.

If it really bothers you try THIS.
There is no suggesting, there is only trolling
There is no discussing, there is only trolling
There is one constant, there is trolling
****All for a Tor server named Bria.****

Boozek's Avatar


Boozek
10.09.2012 , 12:48 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by TMar View Post
That's not a direct indication of memory leak. As you load different things from the game files (zones, armor art, sounds, NPC models, character models ect) all these things get cache in memory.

If it really bothers you try THIS.
actually it is indicative of a memory leak if you have read any of the dxdiags from other users suffering from the same problem.

TMar's Avatar


TMar
10.09.2012 , 12:53 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Boozek View Post
actually it is indicative of a memory leak if you have read any of the dxdiags from other users suffering from the same problem.
Again increased memory usage happen with memory leaks but IS not the only thing that causes increased memory usage. The game has memory issues but saying "my memory keeps increasing, memory leak!" is inaccurate.

Please before attempting to correct someone please brush up on your reading comprehension skills.
There is no suggesting, there is only trolling
There is no discussing, there is only trolling
There is one constant, there is trolling
****All for a Tor server named Bria.****

Mikeximus's Avatar


Mikeximus
10.09.2012 , 12:55 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TMar View Post
That's not a direct indication of memory leak. As you load different things from the game files (zones, armor art, sounds, NPC models, character models ect) all these things get cache in memory.

If it really bothers you try THIS.
As I said I have run other games as well, and have noticed nothing like I notice when I run this game. Cache into memory does happen to a point, but by doing the math I am talking a swing of 3gigs (50%) of memory being used at start of the game to 4.8gigs (80%) being used after playing for an hour or so. Thats an increase of almost 2 gigs of memory beng used. That is more than just some cache'ing of a few items...
Please Forgive All Spelling and Grammaticall Errors...

Kingsbount's Avatar


Kingsbount
10.14.2012 , 08:54 PM | #6
Fully agree.
Using such HUGE amounts of RAM is definatly not normal.
I'm having trouble with that all the time. I'm forced to restart client every 1-1.5 hour.
It's just wrong!

spectreclees's Avatar


spectreclees
10.14.2012 , 09:00 PM | #7
I agree my card is using a lot of GPU to run this game and it spikes VERY often but with the new additions to the graphics engine and the fixes they have been implementing. It has gone down and my card is running a bit smoother, they are making progress, give it time.

Kyuuu's Avatar


Kyuuu
10.14.2012 , 09:49 PM | #8
there is a memory leak some place, weather bioware gona admit it or acknowledge it another question, probably one of reason 1.4 tanks performance for alot people.

SirPhoenixKnight's Avatar


SirPhoenixKnight
10.14.2012 , 09:58 PM | #9
i am running 6 gig of ram and after a few hours i have to reboot game cause my mem gets so low that windows 7 changes to the Areo themes to save ram...this has been around a long time since i started playing this game 9 months ago gotten worse since 1.4 cleaned up after 1.2

Leggomy's Avatar


Leggomy
10.15.2012 , 12:06 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuuu View Post
there is a memory leak some place, weather bioware gona admit it or acknowledge it another question, probably one of reason 1.4 tanks performance for alot people.
What the person above is trying to say is that sometimes programs use memory. It doesnt mean the program has a memory leak. People use the term memory leak to describe all kinds of things which have nothing whatsoever to do with it.

I get this all the time doing support. Most likely the reason for your increased ram usage is improper configuration of your system. I run swtor all the time and I see no memory leaks. It uses ram yes but that doesnt mean there is some kind of leak. A leak would mean after an hour or two your PC would completely freeze up and you wouldnt be able to do anything. It wouldnt go to 83% and somehow magically stay there forever. A leak is a leak it doesnt stop when it hits a certain threshold.

If you are having problems read the faq on how to ask for help. Screaming memory leak makes you look extremely foolish.