Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Commando healing build 1.4 ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Commando healing build 1.4 ?

ScienceGeek's Avatar


ScienceGeek
10.09.2012 , 02:38 AM | #1
New to commando , need a pve build.
''Science isn't about why, it's about why not'' .
-Cave Jhonson

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
10.09.2012 , 02:56 PM | #2
I would go with this. I honestly don't think Frontline Medic is a particularly useful talent, especially for PvE. Trauma Probe should be on your tank, not yourself (though it's kinda useful for leveling/soloing, I guess, but it's a bit late in the tree for that). The other 3 talents that I didn't take from the healing tree (Efficient Conversions, Med Zone, and Combat Shield) are all PvP talents that aren't really needed in PvE. Beyond that, the rest of the talents are pretty obvious: you want anything and everything that buffs your healing. The passive alacrity, tech crit, and aim from the other trees are quite useful (especially with the massive surge buffs you get to your healing) and the only talents from those trees that you should even pay the slightest bit of attention to.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

ScienceGeek's Avatar


ScienceGeek
10.10.2012 , 05:14 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
I would go with this. I honestly don't think Frontline Medic is a particularly useful talent, especially for PvE. Trauma Probe should be on your tank, not yourself (though it's kinda useful for leveling/soloing, I guess, but it's a bit late in the tree for that). The other 3 talents that I didn't take from the healing tree (Efficient Conversions, Med Zone, and Combat Shield) are all PvP talents that aren't really needed in PvE. Beyond that, the rest of the talents are pretty obvious: you want anything and everything that buffs your healing. The passive alacrity, tech crit, and aim from the other trees are quite useful (especially with the massive surge buffs you get to your healing) and the only talents from those trees that you should even pay the slightest bit of attention to.
Thanks
''Science isn't about why, it's about why not'' .
-Cave Jhonson

Kunixp's Avatar


Kunixp
10.10.2012 , 12:18 PM | #4
I am working on a commando as well. I am going to play with different things and see how effective I can get as a healer
Autumnrose 65 Sentinel, Zastastia 65 Commando, Deviliah 65 Guardian, Unfi Sage, Augraine Scoundrel, Chy'raxx Shadow,
Shoushi 65 Sorcerer, Arkadienne 65 Operative, Agalin 65 Powertech, Konvix 65 Mercenary, Uziz Juggernaut, Xandarjj Sniper, Dauber Marauder

LaniAkavir's Avatar


LaniAkavir
10.11.2012 , 04:59 AM | #5
I would use this

In many HMs, OPs, and PVP, you are most certainly going to take damage. And the only good medic is a live medic, not a dead one.

Being immune to interrupts and able to heal yourself for 20% more heals means you can use that amount of heal on others.

Of course, medics are always encouraged to try out builds that suit them.

Some go for higher crit/alacrity build, some go for pure power/surge builds.

I'm about to find out if I'd like to trade 150 of crit (roughly 5%) for 150 power.
Combat Medic since Summer 2011

Kenji, S-1 All-Derp
The Medic's Legacy

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
10.11.2012 , 01:30 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by LaniAkavir View Post
In many HMs, OPs, and PVP, you are most certainly going to take damage.
The OP specifically stated that s/he was focusing entirely on PvE. Since PvE doesn't *have* any interrupts to make being immune to them quite nice (it's an excellent PvP talent, though the value of Commando healers in PvP is questionable at best imo), all that Combat Shield really provides you with is 20% more healing received for 12 seconds every 2 minutes. That's, honestly, not something you really need, especially when it's tied to your only survivability CD (so you either pop it before you take damage in order to take less or you pop it after to heal yourself for more; the first is, honestly, better for you and the only time the two functions are simultaneously useful are when you're taking damage to the face for an extended period of time, which only happens when you're running with an idiot tank with no clue how to gen aggro). Getting more out of Recharge Cells (which is the only change, whatsoever, you made to the spec I recommended) is going to be more useful to someone that focuses entirely on PvE: resource management creates a defined cap on effective and useful burst healing for commandos and getting more out of it is going to help you're healing on average as well as your burst healing.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

LaniAkavir's Avatar


LaniAkavir
10.12.2012 , 03:25 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
The OP specifically stated that s/he was focusing entirely on PvE. Since PvE doesn't *have* any interrupts to make being immune to them quite nice (it's an excellent PvP talent, though the value of Commando healers in PvP is questionable at best imo), all that Combat Shield really provides you with is 20% more healing received for 12 seconds every 2 minutes. That's, honestly, not something you really need, especially when it's tied to your only survivability CD (so you either pop it before you take damage in order to take less or you pop it after to heal yourself for more; the first is, honestly, better for you and the only time the two functions are simultaneously useful are when you're taking damage to the face for an extended period of time, which only happens when you're running with an idiot tank with no clue how to gen aggro). Getting more out of Recharge Cells (which is the only change, whatsoever, you made to the spec I recommended) is going to be more useful to someone that focuses entirely on PvE: resource management creates a defined cap on effective and useful burst healing for commandos and getting more out of it is going to help you're healing on average as well as your burst healing.
And I specifically stated in most HMs and Ops, that 20% healing will be crucial to saving your own life while keeping the health of your main tank at an acceptable amount. The extra amount of pushback reduction that makes you almost suffering from no pushbacks can prove to be vital in many fights that tanks are required to be at full health before taking another hit (At a regular basis *cough* Terror from Beyond Hardmode)

One thing I'd like to ask you:
Have you done HM EC (Denova) and HM TfB (Asation)?

If you have, you will know that everyone takes an insane amount of damage (Regardless of the abilities of your tank), and the bosses will have random aggro drop that the tanks cannot control.

What's even worse, is when an ops member makes a mistake that we healers will have to make up in heals for.

With the new operation that came out, the last boss, Terror from Beyond, tanks are actually better off guarding healers in the start of second phase because we now genenrate so much threat by doing so much healing, thus causing half the wipes if we weren't guarded. (Wrong acid pits, 200% damage debuff, and healers taking 10k damage every time tank taunted just a second too late before we draw aggro)

Also, on the regards of resource management, our rotations should never get us less than 8 ammo unless we are desperate. Whenever I hit 5 ammo, I'd pop my recharge cells immediately depending on the situation.

I can also mention some of the bosses that will make you take damage to the face for an extended period of time, bosses such as:
NM EV - Annihilation Droid (Storm Protocol)
NM EV - Gharj (Shifting island AoEs)
HM EC - Zorn and Toth (Cleanse heavy and red circles on the ground)
HM TfB - Ciphas, Heirad, Kel'sara (Lightning Field Stage)
HM TfB - Terror from Beyond (2nd Phase)
Combat Medic since Summer 2011

Kenji, S-1 All-Derp
The Medic's Legacy

Chef_BoyRUdead's Avatar


Chef_BoyRUdead
10.12.2012 , 10:38 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by LaniAkavir View Post
And I specifically stated in most HMs and Ops, that 20% healing will be crucial to saving your own life while keeping the health of your main tank at an acceptable amount. The extra amount of pushback reduction that makes you almost suffering from no pushbacks can prove to be vital in many fights that tanks are required to be at full health before taking another hit (At a regular basis *cough* Terror from Beyond Hardmode)

One thing I'd like to ask you:
Have you done HM EC (Denova) and HM TfB (Asation)?

If you have, you will know that everyone takes an insane amount of damage (Regardless of the abilities of your tank), and the bosses will have random aggro drop that the tanks cannot control.

What's even worse, is when an ops member makes a mistake that we healers will have to make up in heals for.

With the new operation that came out, the last boss, Terror from Beyond, tanks are actually better off guarding healers in the start of second phase because we now genenrate so much threat by doing so much healing, thus causing half the wipes if we weren't guarded. (Wrong acid pits, 200% damage debuff, and healers taking 10k damage every time tank taunted just a second too late before we draw aggro)

Also, on the regards of resource management, our rotations should never get us less than 8 ammo unless we are desperate. Whenever I hit 5 ammo, I'd pop my recharge cells immediately depending on the situation.

I can also mention some of the bosses that will make you take damage to the face for an extended period of time, bosses such as:
NM EV - Annihilation Droid (Storm Protocol)
NM EV - Gharj (Shifting island AoEs)
HM EC - Zorn and Toth (Cleanse heavy and red circles on the ground)
HM TfB - Ciphas, Heirad, Kel'sara (Lightning Field Stage)
HM TfB - Terror from Beyond (2nd Phase)
I've done all of these except completing 2nd phase of TfB and I can say I've never missed having a better shield.
1. You already get 70% pushback resist as it is
2. Shield does enough on it's own that if I get a chance to pop it it mitigates most of the damage anyway
3. I've never been "interupted" in PVE. I've been stunned, but those are two different mechanics.

I just think you're losing too much to counteract damage that can be better handled with proper footwork and better positioning.

When I do use recharge cells, i'm hella desperate (think TfB Big K and your other healer is channeling nanites) and I really want those 2 extra cells now.

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
10.12.2012 , 12:18 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by LaniAkavir View Post
Have you done HM EC (Denova) and HM TfB (Asation)?
Yes, I have, and I'd have to ask if you honestly think that increasing your own healing received by 20% during those AoE burst damage phases (assuming you actually remembered to burn Reactive Shield) is really making a difference.

More ammo back from Recharge Cells means that you can burn through more ammo without resorting to Hammer Shot. Combined with the pretty much permanent 5% additional alacrity you get from First Responder (which would be a better use of the 2 points in Weapon Calibrations; any decently geared Commando healer should be able to get at least 1 crit every 6 seconds to make that buff permanent), you're able to throw out better burst healing (on people other than yourself) without negatively impacting your healing later. The Reactive Shield talents just aren't worth it in PvE: burst healing on yourself simply isn't that necessary, interrupt immunity is completely useless, and additional pushback has questionable utility at best (especially since all but 2 of our heals don't even give a crap about pushback).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

LaniAkavir's Avatar


LaniAkavir
10.12.2012 , 09:48 PM | #10
Maybe you guys are right.

My build may not be optimal for PVE alone, even though it has bring me this far. Apologies if I sounded cocky, but I shall try out different skill point allocations.
Combat Medic since Summer 2011

Kenji, S-1 All-Derp
The Medic's Legacy