Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What would Malavai Quinn do? *Assume Spoilers*

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
What would Malavai Quinn do? *Assume Spoilers*

IndignationDG
10.08.2012 , 10:53 PM | #1
First of all, this thread is NOT about Quinn's betrayal, nor is it directly about Quinn's romance arc. Also, I do not want to see one mention of Companion Gifts in this thread either.

Now, what this thread IS about is the portion of the Sith Warrior game before Malavai Quinn joins you after Balmorra, and what his affection gains would be if he were with you during this period. Specifically, there are certain quests on Korriban and Dromund Kaas where I simply do not know how to deal with them in the way that would fit my character's personality (which is almost perfectly in line with all of Quinn's affection gains). What makes this harder is that once Quinn joins you, the types of situations described below seem to no longer come up, thus denying any precedent for how he would deal with these situations. And making it even harder is that Quinn is not a pure Light side or Dark side companion, but rather a mix of both depending on the situation.

From what i can tell, Quinn likes it when you are honorable, keep your promises, expose/challenge corruption, and demonstrate patriotism. Again, the problem i face here is that the Light and Dark choices each represent a different thing that Quinn approves of.

What follows is a list of the quests that have choices i am unsure of, and a brief description of the moral choice that is presented to me.

Dark Science (Korriban), Testing Grounds (Dromund Kaas), Black Science (Dromund Kaas):
Is it better to follow orders and keep your word (Dark), or sabotage a superior for the greater good of the Empire (Light)?

The War Machine and Strange Weapons (both Dromund Kaas):
Is it better to acquire new weapons for the Empire (Dark), even if said weapons can only be described as inhumane and immoral (Light)?

Quiet Kill (Balmorra):
Should you execute someone for unknowingly aiding a Republic spy, and by executing her preserve the integrity of an Imperial organization (Dark), or let her go because its likely that she is being set up by her jealous husband (Light)? Also, would you sell out the quest giver and thus possibly expose his possible corruption (Dark), or keep it to yourself and ensure that the operation continues to run smoothly (Light)?

If Malavai Quinn were with you in these situations, which choices would reward you with affection gains? What do you guys think?

shava
10.09.2012 , 02:55 AM | #2
First off, all in character. I'm really a very sweet middle aged woman IRL, but my jugg is a very bad man. I've described him as the Dark IV shadow of Peter Wimsey. And he, too, is a perfect fit for Quinn, most of the time -- and as I'm a professional writer, they have their own entire story around the Bioware storyline (which I'm starting to write up as fanfic starting this week http://wiki.swtor-rp.com/index.php?t...ers_Triskelion) since my background in history/international relations gives a different coloration to the storyline entirely.

Quote: Originally Posted by IndignationDG View Post
Dark Science (Korriban), Testing Grounds (Dromund Kaas), Black Science (Dromund Kaas):
Is it better to follow orders and keep your word (Dark), or sabotage a superior for the greater good of the Empire (Light)?

The War Machine and Strange Weapons (both Dromund Kaas):
Is it better to acquire new weapons for the Empire (Dark), even if said weapons can only be described as inhumane and immoral (Light)?

Quiet Kill (Balmorra):
Should you execute someone for unknowingly aiding a Republic spy, and by executing her preserve the integrity of an Imperial organization (Dark), or let her go because its likely that she is being set up by her jealous husband (Light)? Also, would you sell out the quest giver and thus possibly expose his possible corruption (Dark), or keep it to yourself and ensure that the operation continues to run smoothly (Light)?

If Malavai Quinn were with you in these situations, which choices would reward you with affection gains? What do you guys think?
I'm going to smack Bioware here a bit, in that I think that there are always more implications than are presented.

Dark Science: Who says Tukata aren't force beasts? There are some weird things about Tukata.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tuk'ata

Have you considered that Malara is trying to set you up to undermine her master falsely? Listen, she's an IDIOT -- she doesn't know you from Adam, yet she tries to make you implicit to fraud against the Dark Council. If anything went wrong, who do you think would have taken the fall, eh? My warrior had no difficulty making that decision. She seemed like not only a shallow and manipulative girl, but not very bright or worthy of the Sith. Malavai would have agreed. Turn her in.

Testing Grounds: What is the nature of Quell anyway?

Here, I wonder if Quinn and I might not have diverged? I would have gone with the Sith, no question, and seen the officer as whiny. But Quinn might have seen his appeal as valid. Quinn would have tended to lean toward the judgement of the miltiary man and Dorje (my Jug main) would have leaned on the wider perspective of the Sith. Later on Quesh we find out that Quell is a major product of the mining there, so it must be some kind of big deal as a toxin product, right? But it's entirely a SWTOR thing, there's nothing of it in canon. It's an experiment, you have to give experiments time. It's empirical -- isn't that what the Empire should support?

Black Science: I gave her the false data and left the real data with the researcher. For the Empire! Brengle was a twit, and this was obviously not worth simple credits. And, on an alt, I went the other way and she sent me something like 136 credits, which is appallingly slight profit for such a huge advance in science. Anyway, Quinn would only approve of leaving the improvements to field medicine, I'm sure. Light points be damned. This is what Diplomacy was made for.

War Machine etc. -- um. I am a weapon that man was not meant to know. I do not think you have properly considered the fear that must be in the hearts of any who see a sith bearing down on them. There is nothing in this universe that can melt, fry, madden or otherwise puree troops that is worse than the Sith Order. Why should I shrink from the implications of mere technology? This is war, not a duel with some silly choreography -- isn't that the argument we have with the damn court fancies on Aldaraan? No. And Quinn would be with me on this one. Advantage Empire, plus to our arsenal.

Quiet Kill:
I'd kill the wife, she slept with the enemy and gave him access to government secrets. That makes her a traitor, and I don't give a damn if her husband is jealous or not. She is dangerous whether or not she is innocent. Loose lips sink fleets. Those lips won't be puckering up for republic spies again.

Problem is, I'd kill him too, and it didn't give me the chance. He left secrets in a disc -- classified secrets -- in his bedside table? Unencrypted, presumably? The idiot. And then he wants to deflect blame. What is his worth to Troida anyway -- it had better be magnificent. So yes, I'd undermine him an inform on him and let his own people sort it out, if that's the only resort I have. Don't let a potential resource go to waste, but put a check on it, make sure his leash is good and tight. If he doesn't get removed, at least he'll be watched carefully.
===
/* formerly Ashtara, the only female trandoshan (TKM/scout/sword) on Chilastra */

kalistea
10.12.2012 , 06:03 AM | #3
Your post inspired me to experiment something

Since those quests are not in the Sith Warrior's class story, you may well try to create another sith warrior, then level him/her to around 18/20 while skipping those quests.

Then you go to Balmorra and do only the Sith Warrior class quests so you get Malavai Quinn and get back to Korriban and Dromund Kaas with him, so you get a sure answer.

Not sure that Bioware thought about that possibility though, so there is a chance he's not scripted to react to your choices on those quests. But I still might try that just for fun .

sugarnails
10.12.2012 , 01:17 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by kalistea View Post
Your post inspired me to experiment something

Since those quests are not in the Sith Warrior's class story, you may well try to create another sith warrior, then level him/her to around 18/20 while skipping those quests.

Then you go to Balmorra and do only the Sith Warrior class quests so you get Malavai Quinn and get back to Korriban and Dromund Kaas with him, so you get a sure answer.

Not sure that Bioware thought about that possibility though, so there is a chance he's not scripted to react to your choices on those quests. But I still might try that just for fun .
As someone who has acquired multiple companions "early", I can safely say they don't react to missions from planets before the one they are obtained on. The exception being certain planets with higher level bonus series.