Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Call for Developer Explanation on Class Balance

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Call for Developer Explanation on Class Balance

MatticusFinch
10.09.2012 , 12:36 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Monterone View Post
They will most probably stick their heads into the ground, hope the danger will go away, and when they resurface another quarter million of us will be gone.
I certainly hope that is not the case. I was under the impression that in lieu of having Q & A sessions they would be monitoring the forums more reguarly to provide feedback. I honestly am not demanding a change here, although it's obvious I'd like to see one, but what I'm asking for is an explanation to the player base why they are changing certain mechanics of certain classes and how that is accomplishing their vision of balance. I don't think that's unreasonable, but they haven't shown much evidence to assuage our protests about these things before except the explanation of stealth, knockback, and resolve changes. Why not more of that?
Prophecy of the Five - RIVAL - The McAwesome Legacy
Billiejean | Guy | Freakygirl | Yojimba
Maul-wannabe | Vader-wannabe | Jane'bond | Zombor

RAVM
10.09.2012 , 01:23 PM | #22
Is there diminishing returns on stacking power?

rob_y
10.09.2012 , 01:30 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by RAVM View Post
Is there diminishing returns on stacking power?
Only in the sense that anything diminishes when you're adding a flat amount to a growing amount (i.e. if you add 10 damage onto something that does 1000 damage, that's a 1% increase, but if you add 10 more damage it's a little less than 1%, and 10 damage added to a 2000 damage attack is only 0.5%). It doesn't lower the amount of added damage while stacking higher and higher, no.
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five

RAVM
10.09.2012 , 01:37 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by rob_y View Post
It doesn't lower the amount of added damage while stacking higher and higher, no.
Maybe it should? I'm a focus Sent (since April) in regular BM gear (haven't played him since before 1.4 though, been levelling up alts lately) and I don't want to see the Focus spec in Bioware's nerf cross-hairs because of min/maxers doing more damage than what Bioware intended.

rob_y
10.09.2012 , 01:45 PM | #25
Maybe it should? I'm a focus Sent (since April) in regular BM gear (haven't played him since before 1.4 though, been levelling up alts lately) and I don't want to see the Focus spec in Bioware's nerf cross-hairs because of min/maxers doing more damage than what Bioware intended.
That would be one possible solution.
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five

MatticusFinch
10.09.2012 , 01:46 PM | #26
That would be one way to curb it, haven't thought of that before. I believe that's how they balanced this spec in 1.1 by nerfing surge rating returns on critical multipliers.

Larry_Dallas
10.09.2012 , 02:00 PM | #27
That solution would be like putting out a kitchen fire by bombing the house. You'd pretty much be screwing over every non-tank that participates in raids, as well as everybody who's re-modded pvp gear.

RAVM
10.09.2012 , 02:12 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Larry_Dallas View Post
That solution would be like putting out a kitchen fire by bombing the house. You'd pretty much be screwing over every non-tank that participates in raids, as well as everybody who's re-modded pvp gear.
Not sure how you can say that when the point at which it starts to diminish and to what degree wasn't mentioned. I was thinking it would only start at very high power numbers and of course the benefit would be reduced, not eliminated.

Quinlynn
10.09.2012 , 02:16 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
I have a theory.

It goes along the lines of some dev asking his 12 year old son what needed to be changed.

That or some kind of game of chance, possibly involving alcohol.
LOL, QFE.

His son has a group of friends that all play Mara and they said "We should be able to root lock people all we want and smash them to death in 3 seconds."

MatticusFinch
10.10.2012 , 07:22 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Larry_Dallas View Post
Not necessarily, it would only hurt the people who are stacking power well beyond what I see as BW's envisioned values for a fully geared player. You could start the diminishing returns around 600-700 power, which seems to be the standard top value for non-customized itemization, and have it go in gradations from there.