Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is this games reputation of having terrible PvP going to keep F2P'ers from joining?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Is this games reputation of having terrible PvP going to keep F2P'ers from joining?

DarthSabreth
10.07.2012 , 07:24 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
At the end game there are really only 2 things to do. Do the operations/flashpoints over and over or PvP. OK if they like the PvE gear grind and are willing to pay real money for that then I guess maybe they'll join and stick around. But what about this games reputation of being a terrible unbalanced PvP mess? The word on the net is that this game is certainly not good in the PvP arena, so do you think it being free is enough to get people to put up with it? I don't think it is. I think F2P is a band-aid on a severed limb. What do you think?
I do not feel its unballanced too much, but i do think that new players would be turned off by the oppresive CC that 1.4 brought with it. the PVP is no longer stated as its now refered to as PVCC after 1.4.
"I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new Empire!" Rip .

Arkerus
10.07.2012 , 07:53 PM | #22
First, this game does not have a reputation for terrible PvP. That's a very strange assumption to make with zero proof to back it up.

Second, the whole point of the f2p model is to get people into the game. They will be able to buy what they want. I have no issues with the current PvP population. It seems healthy enough. Queues pops every minute or two. I don't think we have to worry. It will be ok. Some f2p folks will do it and some won't.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

banehammer
10.07.2012 , 09:11 PM | #23
SWTOR has the best PVP out of every MMO that I've ever played... And I've played most of the big names.
Endoor | Guardian Jedi's have grenades now
Noxali | Sorcerer Storming to the light side like a traitor
HARBRINGER

TheronFett
10.07.2012 , 09:17 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by banehammer View Post
SWTOR has the best PVP out of every MMO that I've ever played... And I've played most of the big names.
Stevie Wonder, is that you?

Kalfear
10.07.2012 , 09:25 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
At the end game there are really only 2 things to do. Do the operations/flashpoints over and over or PvP. OK if they like the PvE gear grind and are willing to pay real money for that then I guess maybe they'll join and stick around. But what about this games reputation of being a terrible unbalanced PvP mess? The word on the net is that this game is certainly not good in the PvP arena, so do you think it being free is enough to get people to put up with it? I don't think it is. I think F2P is a band-aid on a severed limb. What do you think?
Its star wars, people will try that for no other reason when its f2p

But the gear progression (and how underpowered you are in recruit gear vrs augmented warhero gear) and horrible PUGs will be 2 big reasons F2P people will not stay in TOR PVP!

Who wants to be at a disadvantage from word go?
I dont see how this is going to get people to subscribe.

More likely some F2P guy in recruit gear will get steam rolled by the losers in the solo que in full warhero augmented gear and in a 4 man pre made and just say "well this is stupid, not wasting my money on this" and move on to some other F2P game.

Reputation might stop a few worried about that sort of thing
Gear Progression will be the big failure of this games PVP when push comes to shove though.

And Im not under geared so not saying this as a QQ about being rolled.

Its just very obvious screw up in games PVP design and its going to cost them in long run!

But its a no win situation now

If they give the war hero stuff away now to equal the gear out, those that worked for their gear (who subscribe already) will scream bloody murder and many will quit (some on principle and many on no longer having a gear advantage over others).

But if they leave gear progression in, they never going to convince the F2P players to subscribe or buy content so they can be rolled by over geared players.

EA has created a catch 22 issue via poor original design and they now pretty much screwed if they do and screwed if they dont at this stage of game.

Will be interesting to see how they handle it cause short of a complete redo for TORs PVP from ground up, I dont see how they fix this massive screw up!

But Im hoping the answer DAoC RVR
but not holding breath on that
Housing brought me back
now add Paazaak, KotOR#1 swoop bike racing, and more flashpoints and planets

NathanielStarr
10.07.2012 , 10:58 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalfear View Post
Its star wars, people will try that for no other reason when its f2p

But the gear progression (and how underpowered you are in recruit gear vrs augmented warhero gear) and horrible PUGs will be 2 big reasons F2P people will not stay in TOR PVP!

Who wants to be at a disadvantage from word go?
I dont see how this is going to get people to subscribe.

More likely some F2P guy in recruit gear will get steam rolled by the losers in the solo que in full warhero augmented gear and in a 4 man pre made and just say "well this is stupid, not wasting my money on this" and move on to some other F2P game.

Reputation might stop a few worried about that sort of thing
Gear Progression will be the big failure of this games PVP when push comes to shove though.

And Im not under geared so not saying this as a QQ about being rolled.

Its just very obvious screw up in games PVP design and its going to cost them in long run!

But its a no win situation now

If they give the war hero stuff away now to equal the gear out, those that worked for their gear (who subscribe already) will scream bloody murder and many will quit (some on principle and many on no longer having a gear advantage over others).

But if they leave gear progression in, they never going to convince the F2P players to subscribe or buy content so they can be rolled by over geared players.

EA has created a catch 22 issue via poor original design and they now pretty much screwed if they do and screwed if they dont at this stage of game.

Will be interesting to see how they handle it cause short of a complete redo for TORs PVP from ground up, I dont see how they fix this massive screw up!

But Im hoping the answer DAoC RVR
but not holding breath on that
Thank you for the post. It is really insightful and I think you were trying to be as openminded as possible.

NathanielStarr
10.07.2012 , 11:04 PM | #27
What about the failure that is ranked pvp? What about the issues with Ilum? The non-existsence of world pvp? The gear grind?

All of that is widely known by anyone that takes 2 seconds to educate themselves in which game to spend their time on.

iasion
10.08.2012 , 12:53 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Wainamoinen View Post
I don't know about Begeren Colony, but warzones are near-immediate on Red Eclipse. And where do I look to find out that SWTOR has a "terrible PvP reputation"?
Do you play Rep on Red Eclipse? If so, I understand why you like PvP...

iasion
10.08.2012 , 12:57 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
First, this game does not have a reputation for terrible PvP. That's a very strange assumption to make with zero proof to back it up.
The game does not have a reputation of having bad PvP, but for having inbalanced fractions in PvP. I bet every poster on this board that think PvP is fine and shouldn't be changed plays the dominating fraction on his/her server. On my server, I have about 20% wins against Rep and get about one fun match every night, rest is facerolls by premades.

So, when the matches gets even, it's the most fun PvP game I've ever played, but most people can't take getting stomped and simply quit playing.

Sweeet
10.08.2012 , 03:28 AM | #30
The PVP isn't terrible in this game, not when everyone has the same gear. The gear grind however IS terrible and is stopping people playing full-stop, FTP or not.

People don't enjoy PvP, not because they think it's terrible, but because they get stomped by higher geared players for months whilst trying to gear up and that is no fun at all now is it.