Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is this games reputation of having terrible PvP going to keep F2P'ers from joining?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Is this games reputation of having terrible PvP going to keep F2P'ers from joining?

NathanielStarr's Avatar


NathanielStarr
10.07.2012 , 04:24 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryvirath View Post
Terrible pvp compared to what? It has better pvp then any other MMO I've played which most recently includes GW2, the savior of pvp. I'm not quite sure why it's so good and ultimately I'm pretty sure it's an accident of greatness, but the pvp potential in this game (as long as they don't make any more 1.4 resolve type changes) is huge and likely the primary reason why half the player base is hanging around.
No I disagree. It takes upwards of 20 minutes on Begeren Colony for PvP to pop during primetime. I think it's the Star Wars theme that keeps people playing.

The game is known as Stun Wars and as the game that killed Bioware.

TheronFett's Avatar


TheronFett
10.07.2012 , 04:25 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
At the end game there are really only 2 things to do. Do the operations/flashpoints over and over or PvP....What do you think?
PvP, Operations, and end game in general will not have much available to F2Pers. They will have to subscribe for that. This entire thread is pointless.

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
10.07.2012 , 04:36 PM | #13
iirc, they're restricting the number of WZs a f2p'er can play. last I heard, it was like 2 or 3 per day. that would keep me from bothering with f2p.
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH

Hexdoll's Avatar


Hexdoll
10.07.2012 , 05:28 PM | #14
I have played every other MMO and Swtor is the best game going pvp wise....and has the potential to blow every other game out of the water...unfortunately not to sure they care that pvp is great in this game.

Asturias's Avatar


Asturias
10.07.2012 , 05:33 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
At the end game there are really only 2 things to do. Do the operations/flashpoints over and over or PvP. OK if they like the PvE gear grind and are willing to pay real money for that then I guess maybe they'll join and stick around. But what about this games reputation of being a terrible unbalanced PvP mess? The word on the net is that this game is certainly not good in the PvP arena, so do you think it being free is enough to get people to put up with it? I don't think it is. I think F2P is a band-aid on a severed limb. What do you think?
LoL, really what a silly post but I'll play. When F2P hits in November this game is going to get a huge increase because I already have several buddies waiting for it to go free.

I don't want to believe it like the rest because I am used to the idea of a paid subscriptions and most of my friends left because of paying a monthly charge.

The fact of the matter is Free to Play is here and its the new direction MMOs are taking.

WoW is already in decline and they will be last of the paid monthly sub MMOs.....
The greatest Star Wars story, that was ever told.
A hunter, a seeker, and a killer for hire
Asturias (Lonestar Legacy)
Jung Ma RP PvP

Asturias's Avatar


Asturias
10.07.2012 , 05:37 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
iirc, they're restricting the number of WZs a f2p'er can play. last I heard, it was like 2 or 3 per day. that would keep me from bothering with f2p.
This will probably change in time once arena hits the scene.
The greatest Star Wars story, that was ever told.
A hunter, a seeker, and a killer for hire
Asturias (Lonestar Legacy)
Jung Ma RP PvP

torgrimmerr's Avatar


torgrimmerr
10.07.2012 , 05:54 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by asturias View Post
this will probably change in time once arena hits the scene.
agreed
"The pwnage is strong with this one"

Wainamoinen's Avatar


Wainamoinen
10.07.2012 , 06:02 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
No I disagree. It takes upwards of 20 minutes on Begeren Colony for PvP to pop during primetime. I think it's the Star Wars theme that keeps people playing.

The game is known as Stun Wars and as the game that killed Bioware.
The game is known as Stun Wars by people who, frankly, aren't very good and want to blame something else for their failure (gear, expertise, premades, TTK, stuns,.. human inventiveness when something as valuable as their ego is at stake is quite impressive). It's a shame if potential players don't try a game because they listen to people running it down for their own reasons.

I enjoy the PvP in SWTOR a lot (despite playing "weak" classes that are apparently unplayable), certainly more than the rated BGs I used to do in WoW. Others may not, people have preferences. But the whining on these forums doesn't make the PvP bad, it isn't. It has some issues, I think mainly down to the full range of ability and experience being thrown in together (so weaker players get stomped instead of enjoying a more even contest against similarly weak players). They then go whine.

I don't know about Begeren Colony, but warzones are near-immediate on Red Eclipse. And where do I look to find out that SWTOR has a "terrible PvP reputation"?
There will be blood, it might be yours;
So go kill someone - signed, Bad Horse

Ilmarinen 65 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

Warlord_Maliken's Avatar


Warlord_Maliken
10.07.2012 , 06:10 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryvirath View Post
---- but the pvp potential in this game (as long as they don't make any more 1.4 resolve type changes) is huge and likely the primary reason why half the player base is hanging around.
Yes this game has the best PvP foundation than any other MMO by far. Its extremely sad to see the last few 'chess' moves that BioWare/EA has made in the PvP department of this game. They are not making the right decisions and in fact are making critical (and should be obvious) mistakes. Some of these changes I call red flags, which means the people responsible for the patch pvp changes are very unprofessional and dont have a full understanding of what PvP should be like. My best guess is they do not pvp much themselves and may not even play the game.
However free is free, as many people have already said. They'll try it out anyway, especially with it being Star Wars.

vimm's Avatar


vimm
10.07.2012 , 06:36 PM | #20
Yes, end game consist of PvP and PvE.
geeR
Phantom of the Operative