Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc is TERRIBLE

LeonHawkeye
10.08.2012 , 05:27 AM | #71
Not this debate again... Clearly, obviously and undeniably Mercs/Mandos are NOT fine. Anyone and everyone claiming they are has big fish in small pond syndrome. Either their competition is very bad, or they are very good, and/or perhaps a mix of both. Play a properly viable class and I will guarantee you will perform 10x better as you did with your Merc/Mando, both experience and gear being equal.

Still stubborn and in disbelief? Find an EQUALLY geared and EQUALLY skilled player of the following classes and ask them to duel you: Shadow Jedi/Assassin, Sentinel/Marauder. I can guarantee that they will not only mop the floor with you but dance circles around you. With our recent changes, the remaining classes are "manageable"
in the hands of an extremely competent Merc/Mando. I use the term manageable here very loosely.

As for the Ranked Warzone viability, we have very little if any, one could argue we provide DPS, debuffs and Knockbacks but all of these are vastly overshadowed by a Gunslinger/Sniper; which also happen to not have the gross and preposterously obvious vulnerabilities we Mandos/Mercs have. I stuck with my Commando for a long time and played it at the highest levels of competition this game can allow, solo, grouped and even Ranked play, although my team supported me and commended my efforts as I managed to excel despite the dysfunctional state of the class, it was undeniable that I had reached the skill cap of the class and it's potential at it's cap falls vastly short of end game PvP viable. I reluctantly re-rolled shortly after, both my team and I were astounded at the difference as I completely out performed and overshadowed anything I did and could have done on my Commando on my newly fond FOTM abominations: Powertech and Sentinel. I am in the midst of leveling a Shadow Jedi and can say it will soon join the pack and leave my former main and love, Commando, sleeping in the dust.

Unfortunately we Mercs/Mandos just don't have the tools to be Ranked/End Game PvP viable at the moment. Our DPS as Gunnery is great but we are vulnerable and extremely easy to shut down, thus it drops to negligible numbers. Our mobility as Assault is unparalleled but our kiting ability was butchered and DPS remains tame, no where near fearsome, these two coupled together in a Ranked Match equate to a bee without a stinger, or a dog humping your leg, annoying but not deadly.

Lastly FOTM is not the answer, re-rolling is not an acceptable solution to a broken class problem. Although I succumbed to it's gross necessity, I will not continue to do so again, if it continues I will soon quit and find a game with semblance of balance. I am sure I am not the only one.

warultima
10.08.2012 , 08:23 AM | #72
I have to admit tho I love killing merc mendos.
They are like sorc/sage that cant bubble and run away.
| Lv50 Madness Sorc | Lv50 Annihilation Marauder |
| Lv50 Pyrotech Power Tech | Lv50 Medicine Operative |
| Lv50 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Lv 26 Darkness Assassin |

TheronFett
10.08.2012 , 08:48 AM | #73
I'd like to hear an official response from BioWare on their design "vision" for Mercs in PvP.

Grouping in PvE is one thing, when Mercs have a tank who can hold aggro and keep targets at range. But when you look at the viability of other RDPS classes (Sorc/Sniper) in PvP, Mercs simply have no place. Both Sorc and Sniper have a variety of tools to keep targets at bay and/or escape from melee. All a Merc can do is delay the inevitable for a few more seconds.

The best suggestion I've seen to address the problem is a Jet Pack ability. Something that stuns, roots, or knocks down an enemy (possibly an AoE) and launches the Merc 30m away. It would be even better if Jet Pack had a controllable landing zone for the Merc, where he could select which direction to go.

Technohic
10.08.2012 , 09:50 AM | #74
If you think merc is fine, you should play it on equal footing, as well as nearly any other class. It is not fine. It's not horrible, but it is kind of boring and certainly falls short compared to the other classes I have played. It's painfully obvious when I think about it and go back and play my other toons after learning what I have to do just to be serviceable as a merc.

Mercury_Down
10.08.2012 , 09:53 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Acherus View Post
The new 70% snare on full auto and immobilize on stock strike make gunnery just as good if not better than assault in pvp after assault got nerfed.

People need to get out of this mindset that assault is better no matter what.
Obvious troll is obvious.

jstergar
10.08.2012 , 10:16 AM | #76
[QUOTE=Shredit;5252619]Merc is TERRIBLE in PvP...QUOTE]

Somebody just hit 50 WZ's lol. Nothing new here. Same ole **** just a different day.

Also, the two most *****ed about classes are ranged classes that have alot of their main attacks with channel and activation times. Those classes would be merc and sorc. If they made those two classes more mobile by removing activation time on maybe 1 main attack then the class would be overpowered. For example, take a pyro merc. You already have two nades and railshot with instacast. This makes you pretty mobile but damage is not great. You have to stop to Unload. Arsenal mercs are screwed because of the activation times on Tracers. If they took powershot (I think that's what I remember it was called) and made it instant cast the class would be a kiting nightmare. All ranged classes have their abilities designed to make them stop. IMO the best way to fix merc would be to adjust powershot so that it still needs an activation time but can be used on the run.

DarkSideTOR
10.08.2012 , 11:01 AM | #77
[QUOTE=jstergar;5257428]
Quote: Originally Posted by Shredit View Post
Merc is TERRIBLE in PvP...QUOTE]

Somebody just hit 50 WZ's lol. Nothing new here. Same ole **** just a different day.

Also, the two most *****ed about classes are ranged classes that have alot of their main attacks with channel and activation times. Those classes would be merc and sorc. If they made those two classes more mobile by removing activation time on maybe 1 main attack then the class would be overpowered. For example, take a pyro merc. You already have two nades and railshot with instacast. This makes you pretty mobile but damage is not great. You have to stop to Unload. Arsenal mercs are screwed because of the activation times on Tracers. If they took powershot (I think that's what I remember it was called) and made it instant cast the class would be a kiting nightmare. All ranged classes have their abilities designed to make them stop. IMO the best way to fix merc would be to adjust powershot so that it still needs an activation time but can be used on the run.
It would be crazy wouldn't it? We can't have Merc/Commandos killing melees, it would be almost as crazy as giving melees an instant cast attack with a guaranteed crit chance that can hit for 6k on multiple targets and can be repeated in about 5 seconds, oh and let's give them TWO closers and a snare that reduces movement progressively to 90% just so nobody can possibly kite them. Now THAT would be crazy OP wouldn't it? good thing BW isn't stupid enough to make such a change...

klham
10.08.2012 , 11:04 AM | #78
I doubt an overhaul of the commando/merc AC is forthcoming. It doesn't just need a buff to be equal in terms of PvP utility, it needs a few new abilities wholesale - something that makes it a tactically relevant piece to have on the board, and that at the very least makes it as challenging to kill as any other dps class.

Combat Medic is a different story, but they still have no viable escape mechanic and your best gamble is to just cc and heal yourself for as long as your ammo lasts until help arrives (unfortunately you're stuck standing still while you do this - in between Kolto bombs you can't heal and keep LoS'ing at the same time - Trauma probe helps a little here but it is underwhelming).

So more often than not you just have to accept that every mission is a suicide mission and try to have fun. You might be surprised how many objectives you can win once you accept that at some point everyone is going to get facerolled by someone else in this game. I still like the look & feel of the commando AC, enjoy PvE and the storyline, and know the AC well enough (I have 2) that I can take down a button-mashing jugg or mara, and can typically make it a close fight against a skilled one. But yeah, even though I make them work for it, I'm pretty much a free kill for skilled/geared warrior and (this is a little harder to take) a free kill for a mediocre easy-mode cookie-cutter Pyro Powertech. A good operative can burn me down just by gaming the resolve system (if they do it right my resolve will only fill up just in time for the coup de grāce).

Playing a FotM AC will show you that more than just an interrupt was overlooked in the initial design of the commando/merc. And now that everyone knows it, commandos get focused even before the healers and the ball carriers, making the disadvantage seem even worse. There's no reason not to. Commandos need something is their arsenal to make them fearsome again, so that FotM players who want to focus commandos/mercs for kicks each time they respawn at least know that it's going to take some effort on their part.

tehrealdealz
10.08.2012 , 11:42 AM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by klham View Post
I doubt an overhaul of the commando/merc AC is forthcoming. It doesn't just need a buff to be equal in terms of PvP utility, it needs a few new abilities wholesale - something that makes it a tactically relevant piece to have on the board, and that at the very least makes it as challenging to kill as any other dps class.

Combat Medic is a different story, but they still have no viable escape mechanic and your best gamble is to just cc and heal yourself for as long as your ammo lasts until help arrives (unfortunately you're stuck standing still while you do this - in between Kolto bombs you can't heal and keep LoS'ing at the same time - Trauma probe helps a little here but it is underwhelming).

So more often than not you just have to accept that every mission is a suicide mission and try to have fun. You might be surprised how many objectives you can win once you accept that at some point everyone is going to get facerolled by someone else in this game. I still like the look & feel of the commando AC, enjoy PvE and the storyline, and know the AC well enough (I have 2) that I can take down a button-mashing jugg or mara, and can typically make it a close fight against a skilled one. But yeah, even though I make them work for it, I'm pretty much a free kill for skilled/geared warrior and (this is a little harder to take) a free kill for a mediocre easy-mode cookie-cutter Pyro Powertech. A good operative can burn me down just by gaming the resolve system (if they do it right my resolve will only fill up just in time for the coup de grāce).

Playing a FotM AC will show you that more than just an interrupt was overlooked in the initial design of the commando/merc. And now that everyone knows it, commandos get focused even before the healers and the ball carriers, making the disadvantage seem even worse. There's no reason not to. Commandos need something is their arsenal to make them fearsome again, so that FotM players who want to focus commandos/mercs for kicks each time they respawn at least know that it's going to take some effort on their part.
Agreed. The merc AC needs a huge over haul....in pvp that is. And there in lies the problem. Remember my fellow pvpers that this game is a PVE game first. So PVE takes first priority and because Mercs are perfectly balanced in a PVE environment I seriously doubt EA/BW is planning on making any changes any time soon. So if that's the case, if you havent done so already, then I recommend becoming a FOTM reroller to a class that is both pve/pvp viable like a Vanguard/Sentinel/Operative and so forth.
Typical reaction to end game content from fresh level 50.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRx49-leiRE
Quote of the Month: "A wise man once said don't try to be a great man just be a man and let history sort it out." -- Random swtor pugger still wearing greens at 50.

DkSharktooth
10.08.2012 , 12:27 PM | #80
People, ask yourself, why have you not voted this thread 5 stars yet?