Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc is TERRIBLE

Nassik
10.28.2012 , 07:27 AM | #551
The merc is always dead meat in a WZ. The moment any opposing player sees my arsenal merc I get jumped and watch, hopelessly, as I get cut down. I can get off a shot or two with those long cast times, but I know that I'm headed for the respawn point.
July 21st 2011.. The Dark Day Bioware pissed on Australia with a little yellow paragraph.

I used to be part of the Community, now I'm just Australian

Lord_Karsk
10.28.2012 , 07:44 AM | #552
We all know what the problem is, developers that dont play commando/mercenary so they are clueless.
They must be playing sniper/assassin classes. I mean just imaging the outcry from mele players if a merc
could hit someone for 8-14 k damage in 4 seconds like a mele class can do with ravage/smash.
They would be crying on the forums merc is OP whiine. Just like we now try to complain about the huge imbalance.

I wish on a live stream the best PvP player on the PvP team from bioware would dual a skilled mele player.
Dev playing commando or merc dps ^^ imagine how fun it would be to see the dev lose dual after dual until
leaving after making up some excuse why he hadd to leave...

Btw commando/mercenary should have rocket boost skill in combat that would push them back 30 meters
on a 30 second cooldown.Just as scoundrel/operative should have the same but as a closer in pvp.

LeonHawkeye
10.28.2012 , 07:59 AM | #553
Absolutely ridiculous. Over 550 replies and still no response from Bioware.

I take the silence as either they don't think there is anything wrong with the class which is absolutely preposterous or they don't know how to fix the class which given their terrible design choices and history I can see happening. Either way it makes for a poor game and frustrating experience, congratulations Bioware you actually pushed me into a different MMO, despite hating the hype, I hate this game more now. I'm done, last month of my Subscription. Months after months of poor customer communication and even worse design/balance choices make for a terrible game and experience.

Phasersablaze
10.28.2012 , 09:07 AM | #554
Quote: Originally Posted by wallywaffles View Post
Healing on my mercenary is really fun. There are good armor buffs that when you have a partner you're really hard to kill.

DPS I can see why someone would say you just have to stay unseen; you can get pretty ridiculous numbers if you can free cast. The problem is that anyone who looks your way can probably take you down. Compare Merc dps to Sniper and it's kind of obscene how much easier it is to stay alive as a sniper, while putting out more burst damage too.
No, a merc can not get ridiculous number. Not even if he was invisible the whole time. Merc can get DECENT numbers if they are invisible or left alone. Marauders, Juggs, and PTs can get ridicules numbers.

xxIncubixx
10.28.2012 , 09:16 AM | #555
Quote: Originally Posted by Phasersablaze View Post
No, a merc can not get ridiculous number. Not even if he was invisible the whole time. Merc can get DECENT numbers if they are invisible or left alone. Marauders, Juggs, and PTs can get ridicules numbers.
this... +all of those classes have far better survivability tools then merc/commando, what a joke.

Bioware should add a new class skill to commando/merc: called "ALL IS LOST!" ---> Switchs your commando/merc to vanguard, problem fixed.

wolfmith
10.28.2012 , 09:53 AM | #556
they were never good, once people learned how to use silence, KB, stuns to interrupt tracer missile, they were history. You can always go Pyro.... but what the hell, any PT pyro will be better than you, so nobody will take you.
Slancerk | Wolfmith
Kyrar Kote Legions Of Lettow
Proud PvP Player -
981h of playtime (26/05) powered by ASUS ROG G74SX

SneiK
10.28.2012 , 10:02 AM | #557
Comparing other 'viable' ranged DPS:

Sorc: Heavy DoTs, Control on channeled ranged attack (Force Lightning), Self heal, Force Speed, Fixed and improved pushback

Sniper: Able to be immune to interrupts and leaps most if not all the time, with Entrench giving immunity to every sort of CC. Can dodge AoE DMG by rolling into cover, can protect himself and the team from DMG outside his bubble, and a pushback that is similar to the Merc.

Merc:

Doesn't have reliable enough, nor heavy enough DoTs to kite like the sorc.

No reliable control on ranged channel (Pyro Merc has a proc chance on Unload for 30% snare 2 seconds). Again affecting kiting chances.

No self heal like the sorc, again effecting kiting possibilities.

No maneuverability like the sorc, again, making kiting and escaping impossible.

And much like the Sniper, most attacks, at least heavy hitting attacks (excluding railshot, or Pyro TD), must be casted stationary. A sniper just needs to take cover first, which takes no time at all (does not affect GCD).

If we take the road that is the most simple at the moment, which is to buff Mercs, there's some things the Devs need to consider:

1) Fix the merc push like you did the sorcs

2) Need more ability to counter melee leap and interrupt, like the sniper does. Redesigning Power Surge might help.

3) Merc Pyro needs increase on CGC chance, since it cannot apply it reliably like the PT. (either proc chance icrease, or the ability to reliably apply it like the PT)

Onymus
10.28.2012 , 12:55 PM | #558
I play a pyro merc and I have to say that pvp is frustrating. I'd have a much more enjoyable time if the class was either A. tougher to kill or B. had utility to avoid/get away from damage.

I am more in favor of option B simply because the merc class is supposed to be lots of damage at the sacrifice of defense. Having more gadgets to use like a jetpack speed boost or jump back would be great. Having a group of mid range (10m) abilities to stun, knockdown and root an enemy would be great as well. Rocket punch with knockback, Shoulder slam with a knockdown and not requiring target to be incapacitated, and a carbonite leg spray that causes a 4 second root limited to 1 second upon damage. Right now most other classes have a very easy time hunting and killing a mercenary. Mercenaries are supposed to be the hunters. I've seldom had the experience of another player going into backpedal/avoid mode once I engage them; it has always been them rushing in to kill me.

I am against buffing our damage because that would only invite a rollback later on. Make us tougher and more slippery. If we are able to stay alive we will prove we can match the top damagers.

klham
10.28.2012 , 01:13 PM | #559
Quote: Originally Posted by Onymus View Post
I am against buffing our damage because that would only invite a rollback later on. Make us tougher and more slippery. If we are able to stay alive we will prove we can match the top damagers.
^ This.

cashogy
10.28.2012 , 01:28 PM | #560
Quote: Originally Posted by Phasersablaze View Post
stop posting. please