Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc is TERRIBLE

Nightkin
10.25.2012 , 09:39 AM | #471
Quote: Originally Posted by Phasersablaze View Post

By the way nightkin, that vid you posted of the tracer spammer is pathetic. If he was actually using the right cylinder he might have gotten a crit bigger than 3k. I know that before 1.2 I was getting over 600k damage in Voidstars. He didn't even break 300k.
Yeah i know he does so much wrong its painful to watch but the video is for silly amusement and little else so iŽll forgive him that.
My videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WatcherEight?feature=watch
http://www.twitch.tv/watchertofn

Watcher 1-15 - Tomb of Freedon Nadd: Guild: DRAMA

cashogy
10.25.2012 , 09:42 AM | #472
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Maybe if tracer wasn't channeled but hit weaker and then heat seeker and gauss got larger damage boost from the stacks to make up for the lower tracer damage, keeping in mind that you are getting more damage per second though, due to also having increased rate of fire on TM. You would be very mobile then. I don't know if that would go too far as you could kite with most of the damaging abilities..
making tracer missile instant cast would not increase the rate of fire. the cast is 1.5s, same as the GCD

merc would still not be able to kite well

Nightkin
10.25.2012 , 09:44 AM | #473
Maybe if tracer wasn't channeled but hit weaker and then heat seeker and gauss got larger damage boost from the stacks to make up for the lower tracer damage, keeping in mind that you are getting more damage per second though, due to also having increased rate of fire on TM. You would be very mobile then. I don't know if that would go too far as you could kite with most of the damaging abilities..
There was an endless stream of good suggestions in the class feedback thread and they were all ignored, 50+ pages down the drain. UNLESS the rank 55 abilitys will be what we have been praying for....
My videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WatcherEight?feature=watch
http://www.twitch.tv/watchertofn

Watcher 1-15 - Tomb of Freedon Nadd: Guild: DRAMA

Phasersablaze
10.25.2012 , 09:44 AM | #474
Quote: Originally Posted by Anishor View Post
Balancing Merc isn't easy.

I think everyone can agree that leaving a Merc alone to free-cast its dps will destroy an enemy force. The problem is no one ever leaves a merc alone because as soon as you apply pressure to them their dps shrivels up and they fold like a deck of cards. If you make them too resistant to pressure they would easily become the most over-played DPS class again. The problem IMO is the focus around Tracer/Grav round. It just doesn't feel like the class was meant to look that way. Unload to me, looks like what each of the classes should be doing. They should be putting a lot of bolts down range. The problem is of course unload is channeled. So like Master Strike/Ravage make which was pitiful until they made it uninterruptible. Secondly I would add a mechanic like SWG's suppressing fire to unload. That unload would snare the target fired at with increasingly higher strength the closer the target is to the user.
I disagree with the first part. I have had BIS gear for months and I can tell you that now, even when I'm 100% left alone I am not OP. Id say Max dps for a 14 minute voidstar is about 700k depending on how noobish the enemy is about grouping together while you DFA. That really doesn't hold a candle to the potential of a Rage/Smashfest Marauder. I also have noticed that its a lot harder to kill a good healer now.

No...I don't think we would be OP even if everyone left us alone. I don't even think we would be balanced yet. It would take un-nerfing tracer millise and giving us back the 8k HSM in addition to giving us some type of defense against mele to bring us back in line. Just thinking of what my recruit/Battlemaster geared Deception assasin can do in 3 global cooldowns is insane compared to Merc burst DPS. And our susstained is very poor compared to our PT brothers, and Marauders, Snipers, and good Sins/Sorcs for that matter.

The only thing I agree with in your post is that we fall over like a deck of cards when Mele attack us, yet we have nothing to counter this or the ability to shut down any other AC in a simmilar fashon. Basically, Mercs are FUBAR unless you are overgeared and queing against random noob PUGs.

Technohic
10.25.2012 , 09:57 AM | #475
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
making tracer missile instant cast would not increase the rate of fire. the cast is 1.5s, same as the GCD

merc would still not be able to kite well
Ah, true about the GCD and the cast time making the rate not increase by not having the channel; but it would allow you to run while firing by having it instant, non-cast.

DkSharktooth
10.25.2012 , 09:59 AM | #476
Quote: Originally Posted by Phasersablaze View Post
The only thing I agree with in your post is that we fall over like a deck of cards when Mele attack us, yet we have nothing to counter this or the ability to shut down any other AC in a simmilar fashon. Basically, Mercs are FUBAR unless you are overgeared and queing against random noob PUGs.
This &

Developers should allow mercs to fly upwards, straight up, at the very least. This will have an immunity to charge for the duration and interrupts and pulls, and if it's huttball, they will be able to hoover up a level to a ground targeted area or just fly up and hover for 3 seconds so that they can move their character onto the above huttball platforms.

Even with fake casting or baiting interrupts so that the enemy interrupts the wrong ability like flamethrower, fusion missile, power shot, so the merc can cast tracers and unload, the merc dps will still be wayyyy behind in any fight single or multiple enemies.

Ewgal
10.25.2012 , 10:26 AM | #477
Ah, true about the GCD and the cast time making the rate not increase by not having the channel; but it would allow you to run while firing by having it instant, non-cast.
I think making tracer missiles instant would take Merc DPS back to the dark ages and breed a new generation of tracer missile spammers. No...we don't want those bums and losers back in WZs again.
May the farce be with you

DkSharktooth
10.25.2012 , 10:43 AM | #478
Quote: Originally Posted by Ewgal View Post
I think making tracer missiles instant would take Merc DPS back to the dark ages and breed a new generation of tracer missile spammers. No...we don't want those bums and losers back in WZs again.
Those bums and losers all quit the game already, how many mercs have you seen lately?

Technohic
10.25.2012 , 11:24 AM | #479
Quote: Originally Posted by Ewgal View Post
Wouldn't be spamming it any more than they do now if the damage was moved more from the missiles and placed on the stacks of heat signature and tracer lock. Actually; might get a chance to burn those more often in PvP since you would be able to move aand keep the pressure on rather than have someone get out of range before you get your second TM off.

OldRepublicRevan
10.25.2012 , 12:01 PM | #480
Quote: Originally Posted by DkSharktooth View Post
This &

Developers should allow mercs to fly upwards, straight up, at the very least. This will have an immunity to charge for the duration and interrupts and pulls, and if it's huttball, they will be able to hoover up a level to a ground targeted area or just fly up and hover for 3 seconds so that they can move their character onto the above huttball platforms.

Even with fake casting or baiting interrupts so that the enemy interrupts the wrong ability like flamethrower, fusion missile, power shot, so the merc can cast tracers and unload, the merc dps will still be wayyyy behind in any fight single or multiple enemies.
Sounds stupid. Would rather have shoulder slam useable in pvp over some silly jet pack move.