Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc is TERRIBLE

DarkSideTOR
10.09.2012 , 09:21 AM | #151
Quote: Originally Posted by IronFirewind View Post
Stopped reading right there. The game is balanced around 8v8, not 1v1. Stop being a solo hero and work as a team and you will see the usefulness of your merc increase.
You havent' really played a Merc in 8 vs 8 ranked have you? You might as well wear a blinking neon sign with giant red letters reading "FREE KILL HERE" 'cause you'll get focused before anyone else and your team won't be able to do jack to save you. Maybe if you had multiple healers on you, guarded, all your dps teammates peeling ppl off you, but what's the point? you won't be able to kill anyone and all your team will do is buy you a few extra seconds.

PakaOno
10.09.2012 , 09:26 AM | #152
Please reroll a Van/PT or respec as a medic.

I cry everytime I join a WZ with a DPS commando/merc.

Technohic
10.09.2012 , 09:50 AM | #153
Quote: Originally Posted by PakaOno View Post
Please reroll a Van/PT or respec as a medic.

I cry everytime I join a WZ with a DPS commando/merc.
If they ever come up with dual spec option; I would be more likely to PvP in a healing spec. As is right now though; I PvE alone mostly. Don't do flashpoints or the other junk. Arsenal actually shines as far as getting things done quickly there.

SpaniardInfinity
10.09.2012 , 10:18 AM | #154
Great post Archangel, it really explains the flaws of the Commando DPS quite well. Especially this segment right here:

Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
As has been said, ANY class can perform well when left to free cast, and ANY ranged class can try and find nooks where they can increase the chance that they'll go unnoticed for awhile. But when sages are discovered they can run because that class was given kiting tools. When Gunslingers are discovered they can knockback, root, or just pop their immunity to everything but diversion shield so that you can't actually stop them from getting their damage out. Commandos can't run, we can't hide, and we damn sure don't have the survivability to sit there and take it, and THAT is the problem. We can take some focus off healers but only if those healers force feed us heals because Heavy Armor without a tank spec just doesn't stand up to much in this game, and the defensive cooldowns for troopers are absolutely abysmal.
and this:

Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
The class is great for training you to use your environment because you don't have other tools to worry about, which also means you don't have any other tools BUT the environment to try and use. Once you gain those skills though and shift to a class that DOES have those other tools, you'll find your overall contributions go up. To the dude who says his commando contributes as much as his sent: On what basis do you consider yourself a top 10% sent? Honest question. If it's that you do top 10% damage then dude you are missing out on some of the great things sent has to offer. Awe, much like Flash Grenade, is more team utility packed into that one 60s cooldown ability than lies in all of Commando's arsenal, especially after the stock strike knockback nerf. This doesn't even take into account Inspiration or Transcendence. Transcendence is just an absolutely amazing ability in top tier PVP. PVP is more than just damage.
The main things being the lack of survivability and the lack of team utility. Survivability could be ignored if and only if a Commando brought something valuable to the table from a team perspective. This is something I've always fully supported for DPS Commando, specifically. Inspiration, I always thought, would make so much more sense on a Trooper than a Sentinel. Or something like the Scrambling Field of Gunslingers. There are plenty of mechanics you could give them to bring a team utility into the picture -- and that is something this class will desperately need if it wants a legitamate chance of being taken seriously in ranked. You could do something as complicated as making a wall (or line) on the ground that enemies cannot cross and must go around until it expires or as simple as an AoE which does something meaningful for the team (players inside of the circle have fasted resource regen, have more healing received, cannot be lept to or pushed interrupted, or pretty much any other group utility you can think of).
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

klham
10.09.2012 , 10:38 AM | #155
Quote: Originally Posted by IronFirewind View Post
First of all how often do you actually run into people of the opposite faction while levelling up? Alderaan and Voss are the only placed you really see people without having to actively go out looking for them because the quest zones in those areas aren't more or less completely separated...Second. It's a Roleplay server. Roleplayers are the people that organise open world PvP events. My server recently had a huge one in Tatooine that lasted for several weeks.
Fairly often since the server merger, depending on the time of day and location - on Tat, Alderaan, Hoth, Voss, etc. Alderaan is where a lot of imp 50s like to camp lowbies for some reason (on my server anyway), and I almost always encounter imps on my datacron runs from Tat onwards. It's a regular part of the gameplay, and quite fun for every other AC (except for the camping 50s). I really enjoy it on my Tactics Vanguard, much less so on my commando. Sry but you're still on a PvE server, so my point stands re optional PvP there. A merc/commando on a PvP server doesn't get a duel request before getting ganked while doing his/her class quests. Hence my suggestion that new players get a tooltip when they're presented with their AC choice, at least until the AC is given a fighting chance in PvP when in the hands of a typical player, which it currently doesn't have.

Volxen
10.09.2012 , 11:30 AM | #156
So, can anyone who believes that "Merc is fine" explain:

1) Why would you take an Arsenal Mercenary over a Marksmanship Sniper?

2) Why would you take a Bodyguard Mercenary over a Medicine Operative? (for healing)

3) Why would you take a Pyrotech Mercenary over a Pyrotech Powertech?

cycao
10.09.2012 , 11:35 AM | #157
Just delete the class and be done with it and give everyone a refund.

warultima
10.09.2012 , 11:37 AM | #158
Quote: Originally Posted by Volxen View Post

2) Why would you take a Bodyguard Mercenary over a Medicine Operative? (for healing)

1) When you cant find a sniper.

2) When you cant find a medicine operative.

3) Actually I play my Pyro PT with my buddy's Pyro Merc, we make great combo (havent tried in rateds). Basically the merc's regular rotation and attacks enables your railshot from 30m away for the pyro PT like pre-range nerf. But yea I own his damage done everytime, even more severe when hes under pressure.
| Lv50 Madness Sorc | Lv50 Annihilation Marauder |
| Lv50 Pyrotech Power Tech | Lv50 Medicine Operative |
| Lv50 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Lv 26 Darkness Assassin |

TUXs
10.09.2012 , 11:38 AM | #159
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
Just delete the class and be done with it and give everyone a refund.
I'd be fine with that tbh. It's gotten to the point of silliness.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

Asukaa
10.09.2012 , 11:59 AM | #160
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkSideTOR View Post
You havent' really played a Merc in 8 vs 8 ranked have you? You might as well wear a blinking neon sign with giant red letters reading "FREE KILL HERE" 'cause you'll get focused before anyone else and your team won't be able to do jack to save you. Maybe if you had multiple healers on you, guarded, all your dps teammates peeling ppl off you, but what's the point? you won't be able to kill anyone and all your team will do is buy you a few extra seconds.
Mercs/Commandos need to respec to Assault/Pyro. I can solo all but 2 classes 1v1. The only 2 classes that beat me hands down are PT/VG and Tanksin/Shadow tank. If you still have trouble after going Pyro/Assault, then it's a L2P issue. I top dps in all WZ's I enter. I make people regret force leaping to me. But I will admit, in 8v8 ranked, it's a whole different ball game. YOU DO NOT TAKE A COMMANDO UNLESS HE IS A HEALER. It's not the player at that level, it's the class. I learned it the hard way. I can take on all the top ranked teams sents/mara's 1v1 and dominate them. But in a group dynamic, Commando brings nothing "clutch" to the table. You should always opt to take a VG/PT over a commando dps. It's just the way it is. I can't get into detail as there is a lot but for the most part, it's due to the fact that the VG/PT's burst is a lot faster than the commando because the VG/PT's attacks are all instant. The gives them all the advantage. Nuff said.

So it all boils down to, what do you want to do end-game? I have so much fun on my Commando. I leveled a VG as well for the rWZ's, but now I could care less about ranked. So I'm back on my Commando destroying pugs. The OP stating that he loses 1v1 against every class, that's just a bad player. Not "bad"... It's a harsh word for someone I don't know but you are not trying hard enough. There are tons of forum posts, guides, and videos that will show you how to play better. I went thru tons of reading and min/max'ing to get to where I'm at now. And even still I know I cannot do rwz's with my Commando and I don't really care.

Quote: Originally Posted by Volxen View Post

DPS Merc/commando, no matter the spec, is not suitable for ranked. We all know that (well those of us that have actually played ranked with our dps mercs/commandos). So if that is your goal, do not roll the class unless you plan to go heals. Please note: There are pugs going into RWZ's and you can probably stomp them with any class, but doesn't mean since you beat them with your tracer missles that you are now viable in ranked against anyone. Don't fall into that trap.

TL;DR - Stop posting these threads baddies.