Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc is TERRIBLE

Technohic
10.08.2012 , 07:58 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Volxen View Post
If they are not going to fix the class, they should at least give every Mercenary/Commando a free AC respec token. People who have put in the effort to level up a Mercenary/Commando to 50 are entitled to at least that much.
Meh. I have 7 other toons and can care less. I don't complain often, but experiencing the Mercenary AC, I felt it is only right that I support the others who care about the class when I can honestly see its mediocrity compared to the other classes.

IronFirewind
10.08.2012 , 08:03 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Shredit View Post
Merc is TERRIBLE in PvP... In any 1v1 fight with anything other than a merc you will lose.
Stopped reading right there. The game is balanced around 8v8, not 1v1. Stop being a solo hero and work as a team and you will see the usefulness of your merc increase.
Lilisetté - Assassin | The Progenitor EU (RP)

Technohic
10.08.2012 , 08:08 PM | #123
Ok. Ignoring 1vs1; what does a merc offer to a team? What's their specialty?

I can't think of anything I can't do better with another AC.

Jherad
10.08.2012 , 08:10 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by heechJunzi View Post
LOL. "Stuck.".

You have this inflated opinion of your own "skills", and you blame your class. Here's an idea: stop waiting for Bioware to help you teach us a life lesson. Roll a fotm class and show us just how great you really are.

Think you're in for a rude awakening.
Come roll on the Shadowlands. After I've taught you how to play a Commando properly, I'll introduce you to a Marauder/Jugg/PT or two who will take you apart. Then I'll introduce you to a ranked team or two who will put you in the corner, stick a dunce cap on your head and laugh at you.

I have multiple videos up. Lets see once of yours, master of the commando class. You think you can do better than all these other people? Put up or shut up.
WFW - Waiting For Wildstar
Zacharďah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

IronFirewind
10.08.2012 , 08:29 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post

The fact that the game isn't balanced around 1v1 is obvious when you look at each class. People that equate winning duels as skill are just deluding themselves.

It has more staying power than the other ranged DPS classes and doesn't need babysitting like a Sorc or Sniper does. It also has a pretty decent middle ground between burst and sustained damage. A Sniper can drop a huge amount of burst but if the target survived it (in ranked it's pretty likely that they will, especially with a Sorc or Merc healer), then the Sniper will struggle to sustain that burst and turn it into a kill without running out of energy or burning cooldowns. What a Merc can do what a Sniper can't is sustain a respectable amount of damage to keep a priority target under pressure until the team can focus down the target to finish it. The Arsenal Merc in PvP has a similar ability to the Marauder in that it can keep a target (like a healer or high priority DPS like a Sniper) tied up while being tough to kill (in this case it's Heavy Armour and range. In the Mara's case it's defensive CDs and escape tools), forcing a team to either deal with the threat or let them be free to cause havoc.

Arsenal Mercs also do a fantastic job is drawing fire away from healers. it's surprising as to how many people in Ranked mistake a Tracer Missile for Kolto Missile and try to focus the Merc instead of the Sorc that is really Heal Spec (or just see Merc and assume it's a healer).

Jherad
10.08.2012 , 08:37 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by IronFirewind View Post
Arsenal Mercs also do a fantastic job is drawing fire away from healers..
Well, that was nearly a coffee-over-keyboard moment. That's one terrifically optimistic way of saying that Mercs get focused a lot.

I have yet to see ONE top rated WZ team that takes a DPS merc/commando along on its A-Team.
WFW - Waiting For Wildstar
Zacharďah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

klham
10.08.2012 , 08:45 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post

Good answer. Notice that the person you were responding to DOES NOT play a commando or merc, and also plays on a PVE server.

If they're not going to fix it, I think it's only fair that new Trooper / Bounty Hunter players get a tooltip when they first visit their AC trainer in the fleet that advises them that one of the AC's they can select is for PvE only except for advanced players who want to PvP in "hard mode" all the time for the sake of the challenge. Getting consistently facerolled by every other AC in the game while questing and attempting to participate in WZs can't be fun for new players. Everything's already been said about this. I do enjoy the commando AC, and after the Jedi Knight it has the most Star Wars "charisma" of all the ACs IMO. So there's a missed opportunity here.

IronFirewind
10.08.2012 , 09:09 PM | #128
1) That is just a list of the classes I have at 50. My merc is somewhere in the mid levels.

2) It's a Roleplay server and there is no difference whatsoever between PvP and PvE servers in this game. You are acting as though there is no option whatsoever to queue for warzones and that Roleplayers can't possibly be into or good at PvP.

3) I never said Merc is the best choice for a Ranked Team. They just aren't as horrible as the OP is making them out to be.

klham
10.08.2012 , 09:35 PM | #129
It's an RP-PvE server, no? That means the PvP is optional. It's not optional on a PvP server while questing planetside in PvP areas.

Henu
10.08.2012 , 09:42 PM | #130
A great trick for rated WZ is to start the round with your healing cylinder up and get the other team to make you but change it up a few seconds later, will draw some heat away from your real healers.
Kript - SNX - Harby, Yes its a PVE server but honestly there isn't a lot of open world PVP on the other servers anyway.