Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Bioware can you explain to me why...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bioware can you explain to me why...
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Hairyzac's Avatar


Hairyzac
10.19.2012 , 11:54 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by CharterMonkKent View Post
where did i say that? i simply explained that you're complaining about a very small % of the player base. even further you are complaining about a small % of one tree of an advanced class. namely, those with BiS gear. this game is based on gear progression. A BiS smash on a BiS toon will have scaled damage, a BiS smash on anyone below BiS will cause increased damage. that's a game design decision (gear progression) and a complaint to be made game wide. it's a weak complaint about one tree of one class.
I'm not complaining about anything. You may be responding to others but speaking at me which is wrong. You avoid answering the simple question of, "is the ability balanced." You won't answer because you know it is not balanced in any way shape or form. You are like a politician except no one wants to elect you pal.

I don't care what happens to Smash. That doesn't change the fact it is undoubtedly unbalanced in comparison to other AOE and every single target attack in the game.

If you want to argue with someone, find someone who actually cares what happens. I don't. I just tell it like I see it. And Smash is not balanced.

CharterMonkKent's Avatar


CharterMonkKent
10.19.2012 , 12:07 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Hairyzac View Post
I'm not complaining about anything. You may be responding to others but speaking at me which is wrong. You avoid answering the simple question of, "is the ability balanced." You won't answer because you know it is not balanced in any way shape or form. You are like a politician except no one wants to elect you pal.

I don't care what happens to Smash. That doesn't change the fact it is undoubtedly unbalanced in comparison to other AOE and every single target attack in the game.

If you want to argue with someone, find someone who actually cares what happens. I don't. I just tell it like I see it. And Smash is not balanced.
no it was pointed at you. you made the complaint that smash hits for 7k, then wrote in caps "DO SOMETHING". making it sound like 7k happens all the time. it simply doesn't, that's an exaggeration.

and my answer to the question if smash is 'balanced'. i answered that in all of my posts, maybe i explained it in too much detail. it clearly isn't balanced, nothing in this game is balanced. is it balanced that I can string two 5k attacks and a 4k attack in three globals on my pyro? clearly not. is it balanced that I can kill someone with my operative before they can hit me once, clearly not. the way the game is designed it will never be balanced
Wnk & Zlk & Knk & Xlk & Znk & Ynk & Tnk & Qnk & Chart
<Nothing Personal>
+ =

Phasersablaze's Avatar


Phasersablaze
10.19.2012 , 12:14 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by CharterMonkKent View Post
there was no patronizing from me. i simply meant that bringing up how merc dps under-performs in pvp is the end all of any conversation in this forum. even if someone brings it up in a post about one ability for one tree that isn't merc
And do you know why its ends all conversations? Because no one can deny that its true.

You say the problem isn't skill or balance, but that it is gear. Yes, there is a big gear gap between recruit and BIS, but that isn't the main problem. The gap isn't as big as you think it is. If it was, my master strikes wouldn't be hitting for 3k a tic with my lvl 11 Sentinel, and I wouldn't be breaking 5k mauls on my under-geared assasin. Gear gap is a very minor part of the problem.

WaywardOne's Avatar


WaywardOne
10.19.2012 , 12:15 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by CharterMonkKent View Post
there was no patronizing from me. i simply meant that bringing up how merc dps under-performs in pvp is the end all of any conversation in this forum. even if someone brings it up in a post about one ability for one tree that isn't merc
Nerf operatives?

Monterone's Avatar


Monterone
10.19.2012 , 12:23 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by criminalheretic View Post
All fair points, and I also get that the Rage/Focus spec is something of a one trick pony, and that is their one trick. But I think when the single hardest hitting attack in the game, is both AoE AND Instant, there is something fundamentally wrong. Ravage... Ravage should be the hardest hitting attack that any warrior class or spec has, period. In fact every class/spec's hardest hitting ability should always be a 3 second channeled ability, and it certainly shouldnt affect 5 people at once.
^^
Can't go wrong with common sense.
Saminette
<DMG Ctrl> <Purple Cog>
Harbinger

Missandei's Avatar


Missandei
10.19.2012 , 12:26 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by Phasersablaze View Post
And do you know why its ends all conversations? Because no one can deny that its true.

You say the problem isn't skill or balance, but that it is gear. Yes, there is a big gear gap between recruit and BIS, but that isn't the main problem. The gap isn't as big as you think it is. If it was, my master strikes wouldn't be hitting for 3k a tic with my lvl 11 Sentinel, and I wouldn't be breaking 5k mauls on my under-geared assasin. Gear gap is a very minor part of the problem.
Different classes have different gear gap..
As a Gunslimger there is not that much difference between (BiS WH) and (BM + MainHand WH)
As a ShadowTank it is a very big difference. As a Shadow i managed to incerease my DPS output nearly twice as much..
Missandei Shadow ...yet shadows can kill. And oft-times a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

Wainamoinen's Avatar


Wainamoinen
10.19.2012 , 12:27 PM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Hairyzac View Post
Do you think it is right that the hardest hitting ability in the game is an area of effect? That it can crit multiple targets for upwards of 8k+, and regularly for 7k+? That it is instant and is guaranteed to crit?

I don't feel this can be argued in any way. Change it so the automatic crit is for the perosn you have targeted only. Reduce the damage. DO SOMETHING.

Can we deal with things the way they are? Sure. But that doesn't make Smash in its current form balanced in any way shape or form.
Quote: Originally Posted by Wainamoinen
I wasn't really arguing the case for or against any particular buffs/nerfs.
Though for the record I'd agree that smash is over the top. It was already the most powerful attack in the game, it's aoe, and the classes that use it got a small buff. The saving grace is that it's got a moderately long cd even talented to reduce, and that speccing to max it out reduces survivability.

I think it needs toning down, but in the meantime we need to learn to cope with them - try to avoid standing in groups and make the lolsmashers high-priority targets. Root them and melt them.
There will be blood, it might be yours;
So go kill someone - signed, Bad Horse

Ilmarinen 65 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

CharterMonkKent's Avatar


CharterMonkKent
10.19.2012 , 01:04 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Phasersablaze View Post
And do you know why its ends all conversations? Because no one can deny that its true.

You say the problem isn't skill or balance, but that it is gear. Yes, there is a big gear gap between recruit and BIS, but that isn't the main problem. The gap isn't as big as you think it is. If it was, my master strikes wouldn't be hitting for 3k a tic with my lvl 11 Sentinel, and I wouldn't be breaking 5k mauls on my under-geared assasin. Gear gap is a very minor part of the problem.
where did I say that skill wasn't a factor? where did I say that gear is the only factor? putting a lot of words in my mouth

and why are you talking about pre50 WZs? that has nothing to do with the conversation in this post. 10-49 has a bolster mechanic built in
Wnk & Zlk & Knk & Xlk & Znk & Ynk & Tnk & Qnk & Chart
<Nothing Personal>
+ =

CharterMonkKent's Avatar


CharterMonkKent
10.19.2012 , 01:07 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Missandei View Post
Different classes have different gear gap..
As a Gunslimger there is not that much difference between (BiS WH) and (BM + MainHand WH)
As a ShadowTank it is a very big difference. As a Shadow i managed to incerease my DPS output nearly twice as much..
Well said. as people have pointed out in this post many times. BiS rage can stack power/surge because the one trick pony of the class is auto crit.
Wnk & Zlk & Knk & Xlk & Znk & Ynk & Tnk & Qnk & Chart
<Nothing Personal>
+ =

CharterMonkKent's Avatar


CharterMonkKent
10.19.2012 , 01:08 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by WaywardOne View Post
Nerf operatives?
glad someone caught that
Wnk & Zlk & Knk & Xlk & Znk & Ynk & Tnk & Qnk & Chart
<Nothing Personal>
+ =