Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Respect Revan


Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.30.2012 , 04:49 PM | #421
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
Force Body Odor. It's like Force Lightning, only invisible. And his one weakness is soap.
The ultimate power. Impossible to counter, except through face masks. I think his looks would give away the fact that he stinks lol.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

khayyinx's Avatar


khayyinx
10.30.2012 , 08:04 PM | #422
YES, Revan mastered both light and radk side. When i say mastered it means that he was very skilled with both side POWERS.
I know that light and dark is a moral thing, and Revan never was both good and evil. The yo-yo was about his alignment not about his powers.
In kotor he can use force lightning, force choke, wound, drain energy as heal, stasis, force shield. The first 3 are DARK SIDE POWERS. I know some jedis have used them, i posted that, but they are inherently dark. You won't see a jedi teaching powers like that, and a jedi that learns them and use them all the time will fall to the dark side eventually.
And the other 3, which are light side power won't be used by sith. You don't see a sith healing his wound with only a touch and you don't see master yoda casting lightning.
Revan is one of the few force users that can use both kind of powers. He isn't dark and light at the same time, he isn't good and evil, he just can cast powers from both sides.

Also, Revan had a lot of knowledge of the force:

"Several millennia later, this holocron was discovered by Darth Bane, who noted that Revan's knowledge of Sith Lore was greater than the entire information contained in the archives of the Sith Academy in Korriban in his time"

Makoto_Shishio's Avatar


Makoto_Shishio
10.31.2012 , 12:05 AM | #423
I dont understand.

Is this a "Respect Revan" thread based on the fact that he is powerful or the fact that he is a "great" character?
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is not available in your region

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
10.31.2012 , 10:50 AM | #424
Quote: Originally Posted by Makoto_Shishio View Post
I dont understand.

Is this a "Respect Revan" thread based on the fact that he is powerful or the fact that he is a "great" character?
Well, he is a great character for sure. Few will disagree with that.

And don't get hung up on the word "respect" 'cause I really just used it 'cause it started with the same letter as Revan.

As for the purpose of this thread, I've been trying to communicate that he is a powerful being and that there are very few who would wipe the floor with him. This is a very modest/canon-supported statement. I've seen plenty of people underrate him a bit and it bothered me a lot, and that is why I appeared really pissed in my initial post.

I've argued that he is canonically in the same ball park of power as people like (for instance) Ki-Adi-Mundi, Darth Bane and a few others. Not to say that he'd beat these people, but he wouldn't be beated easily be beaten by these people.

That's what I've argued. My OPINION however is that he could beat people like Ki-Adi-Mundi and Bane (Bane is a tuff one). But I'm not going to argue my opinion.

Makoto_Shishio's Avatar


Makoto_Shishio
11.03.2012 , 10:13 AM | #425
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
Well, he is a great character for sure. Few will disagree with that.
Actually alot of people think he's a piss poor character and another mary sue.


Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
As for the purpose of this thread, I've been trying to communicate that he is a powerful being and that there are very few who would wipe the floor with him. This is a very modest/canon-supported statement. I've seen plenty of people underrate him a bit and it bothered me a lot, and that is why I appeared really pissed in my initial post.

I've argued that he is canonically in the same ball park of power as people like (for instance) Ki-Adi-Mundi, Darth Bane and a few others. Not to say that he'd beat these people, but he wouldn't be beated easily be beaten by these people.

That's what I've argued. My OPINION however is that he could beat people like Ki-Adi-Mundi and Bane (Bane is a tuff one). But I'm not going to argue my opinion.
Well i don't disagree with him being a "weak character". Personally i think he is a powerful character but other than that, a boring character i dont relate with.

In the SW verse, unless your an extremely weak force sensitive, no ones going to wipe the floor with another guy. That is my opinion of course.
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is not available in your region

Joronas's Avatar


Joronas
11.03.2012 , 10:47 AM | #426
Am I the only one who thinks Revan is a far more awesome character as a strong, flawed jedi with the type of presence and leadership ability that comes once in a dozen lifetimes?

Ignoring canon (very temporarily in my case!) and making Revan all-powerful (or even just insanely-powerful), it cheapens it for me. Revan is cool as a character when he's in over his head, being put up on a pedestal by the other characters but struggling to deal with everything. He's far less awesome and far less interesting when he isn't struggling to fix the things he broke. The key part there being struggling. Both with other people's expectations, his own expectations, and the actual things he's trying to do. Master of all Lightsaber forms, and the Light and Dark sides of the force.. where's the moment of despair that makes the victory heroic?

Now, the thing about canon, and how I look at it (someone else might have a different way)...

The movies are fact. You're a little mouse droid or whatever watching events unfold. You are 'seeing' them. There might be things you miss, but what you see is what happened, as it unfolds.

The novels are history books. They're mostly accurate, but they were written later by someone who was there. So you get little biases, little bits of misleading information, and a few outright misinterpretations or errors. They're still valid, since we can't just go and SEE the events, but sometimes the little things just aren't quite right. The things declared non-canon are the ones that are completely wrong, or so wrong as to be not usable.

Games, things along those lines? They are the bard's tales. All sorts of wild exaggeration (like Starkiller pulling a star destroyer down), but the "core" of the story is true.

mefit's Avatar


mefit
11.03.2012 , 10:53 AM | #427
Quote: Originally Posted by Joronas View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Revan is a far more awesome character as a strong, flawed jedi with the type of presence and leadership ability that comes once in a dozen lifetimes?

Ignoring canon (very temporarily in my case!) and making Revan all-powerful (or even just insanely-powerful), it cheapens it for me. Revan is cool as a character when he's in over his head, being put up on a pedestal by the other characters but struggling to deal with everything. He's far less awesome and far less interesting when he isn't struggling to fix the things he broke. The key part there being struggling. Both with other people's expectations, his own expectations, and the actual things he's trying to do. Master of all Lightsaber forms, and the Light and Dark sides of the force.. where's the moment of despair that makes the victory heroic?

Now, the thing about canon, and how I look at it (someone else might have a different way)...

The movies are fact. You're a little mouse droid or whatever watching events unfold. You are 'seeing' them. There might be things you miss, but what you see is what happened, as it unfolds.

The novels are history books. They're mostly accurate, but they were written later by someone who was there. So you get little biases, little bits of misleading information, and a few outright misinterpretations or errors. They're still valid, since we can't just go and SEE the events, but sometimes the little things just aren't quite right. The things declared non-canon are the ones that are completely wrong, or so wrong as to be not usable.

Games, things along those lines? They are the bard's tales. All sorts of wild exaggeration (like Starkiller pulling a star destroyer down), but the "core" of the story is true.
I agree mostly , Characters are better with weaknesses than being Immortal and undefeatable !
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

mefit's Avatar


mefit
11.03.2012 , 10:58 AM | #428
Quote: Originally Posted by Makoto_Shishio View Post
Actually alot of people think he's a piss poor character and another mary sue.

You mean like Skywalker ? Revan has been defeated baddly by the Emperor and then "4 New Kids on the Block" , haven't seen Skywalker defeated baddly since Vader beat his ***/cut off his hand/ and then went on to mind **** him in TESB/Ep5

Well i don't disagree with him being a "weak character". Personally i think he is a powerful character but other than that, a boring character i dont relate with.

In the SW verse, unless your an extremely weak force sensitive, no ones going to wipe the floor with another guy. That is my opinion of course.

Revan was kinda Boring due to lack of Character so you could build your own , his lore is great though . I think in TOR they kinda made him very insane ! I wish he would have died in Revan novel but .............oh well !
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.03.2012 , 03:07 PM | #429
Quote: Originally Posted by Joronas View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Revan is a far more awesome character as a strong, flawed jedi with the type of presence and leadership ability that comes once in a dozen lifetimes?

Ignoring canon (very temporarily in my case!) and making Revan all-powerful (or even just insanely-powerful), it cheapens it for me. Revan is cool as a character when he's in over his head, being put up on a pedestal by the other characters but struggling to deal with everything. He's far less awesome and far less interesting when he isn't struggling to fix the things he broke. The key part there being struggling. Both with other people's expectations, his own expectations, and the actual things he's trying to do. Master of all Lightsaber forms, and the Light and Dark sides of the force.. where's the moment of despair that makes the victory heroic?

Now, the thing about canon, and how I look at it (someone else might have a different way)...

The movies are fact. You're a little mouse droid or whatever watching events unfold. You are 'seeing' them. There might be things you miss, but what you see is what happened, as it unfolds.

The novels are history books. They're mostly accurate, but they were written later by someone who was there. So you get little biases, little bits of misleading information, and a few outright misinterpretations or errors. They're still valid, since we can't just go and SEE the events, but sometimes the little things just aren't quite right. The things declared non-canon are the ones that are completely wrong, or so wrong as to be not usable.

Games, things along those lines? They are the bard's tales. All sorts of wild exaggeration (like Starkiller pulling a star destroyer down), but the "core" of the story is true.
That's an interesting way to look at canon. I can't say I agree about the whole comparison of EU to a biased history book, but you're entitiled to your opinion.

But I definately agree about Revan's character. It's no good to have a character who's immortal. And Revan certainly isn't immortal.

Joronas's Avatar


Joronas
11.03.2012 , 06:52 PM | #430
Biased may have been a little strong, it's meant to capture that there are slight differences, and occasional errors where they conflict with movies and Lucas. Something you can generally take at face value, but is overall slightly less reliable (since if it was perfectly reliable, it would be exactly equal to the movies in all respects!)