expertise in duels?

Pvtcarnage

As far as I understand it expertise is not active until you get the Trauma De-buff which you don't get in duels like you do in WZ and places like the Den. But there is no information i can find from BW that confirms or denies it. Just trying to end a debate with someone on my server.

and if you can't supply a link to patch notes or something then don't say your "sure" it does count because your just guessing like me.

If I recall correctly, expertise in duels only applies when you're dueling in outlaws, or illums pvp zone. It's related to pvp zones, not regular environments. While you can argue that duels are pvp, it can be done between PVE and PVP players. You're not going to find a PVE hero dueling at Central basically. Further proof is that I duels outside of the designated pvp zones, you cannot use warzone adrenals or medpacs. Edited by PoliteAssasin

If I recall correctly, expertise in duels only applies when you're dueling in outlaws, or illums pvp zone. It's related to pvp zones, not regular environments.

If this is true it is very bad design! expertise should Always be in use when it is player vs player! and basically should be fixed with a emergency patch!

I'm not positive about this but I always thought it was WHENEVER player vs player happened. Doesn't it say it effects your companion as well?

I purposefully wear my PvP gear when I'm in places like Ilum and the Black Hole because I could see an opposite faction player there, and do quite often. But I sacrifice some stats in my PvP gear for the expertise in those PvE areas.

If I recall correctly, expertise in duels only applies when you're dueling in outlaws, or illums pvp zone. It's related to pvp zones, not regular environments. While you can argue that duels are pvp, it can be done between PVE and PVP players. You're not going to find a PVE hero dueling at Central basically. Further proof is that I duels outside of the designated pvp zones, you cannot use warzone adrenals or medpacs.

That's what I'm thinking

My Companion Nadia and I (on my sage, both of us in full augmented BM gear) leveled 3 enemy players that were on me at the same time (without their companions) when I was doing the Illum Dailies yesterday. The fight lasted a while probably 5 minutes, and they tried quick-rez zerg me one at a time a few minutes longer after I originally killed all 3 of them, which was probably another 5 minutes until they all died 3x and my companion and I were still alive.

That said, I can only assume that Expertise (me at 1250+ and my Companion close to that as well) was the main reason why I was able to kill a level 50 Sniper, Juggernaut and an Assassin on me at the same time. Well that and they are no doubt bads.

In their defense, Nadia does hit like a Mac Truck though. And I'm a Hybrid Healer/DPS Sage.

Edited by SOULCASTER

IF....expertise ONLY works in PVP zones like illum, outlaws den and warzones, then it simply would not only be a horrible game design, but it would mean doing dailies in PVE gear would be far superior.

Therefore, from that above fact, and my experiences, i'd have to say 'expertise' is ALWAYS in effect.

Expertise always applies into the calculation when damage is dealt from one player to another. PvP is considered PvP wherever you are in the world.

That's why if you get ganked in open world while fighting groups of mobs and get killed, it says -- PvP death, blah blah... more time allowed in stealth when rezzing. You receive ANY damage from other player, PvP stats kick in.

Otherwise it would be broken.

It's easy to verify, duel someone in a non pvp area and use a fixed damage ability on him (dots are perfect), if he is getting reduced damage then expertise is in effect. Remember to check their skill tree also, for feats that reduce internal damage and things like that.

Expertise always applies into the calculation when damage is dealt from one player to another. PvP is considered PvP wherever you are in the world.

That's why if you get ganked in open world while fighting groups of mobs and get killed, it says -- PvP death, blah blah... more time allowed in stealth when rezzing. You receive ANY damage from other player, PvP stats kick in.

Otherwise it would be broken.

My understanding is that Expertise is only active when you have the trauma debuff, Could you explain why it's there in pvp areas and not in pve/dueling? I'm on a PvE server if that makes a difference.

Sure. Short answer is, your understanding is wrong. Expertise applies to any damage incoming from or to another PC.

Again, this is pretty easy to test. Get a guildie and duel each other. Trust me, it works.

If you mean why isn't the trauma debuff isn't there in PvE areas, then I would assume it's the same reason that WZ adrenals and medpacs don't work while you're /dueling, they're coded to be based on your location/area within the game (IE, if you're in a WZ or not) and not based on your PvP status.

Edited by jmsutton