Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Bounty Hunter story is broken

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
The Bounty Hunter story is broken

DAWUSS's Avatar


DAWUSS
03.07.2014 , 03:45 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Because if the Republic learned about what the BH did. They totally wouldn't arrest him.

He killed two Jedi Masters, one of them was the Order's Battlemaster, he ain't welcome in the Republic.
But at the same time, the BH could start creating a mess within the Imperial ranks as well, and then neither faction likes him.

My BH isn't exactly a big fan of the Empire (he made a few friends, sure [most of them now dead]), but if the Empire dissolved, he wouldn't care one way or the other.

Also my BH would have turned away (if not executed) his companions, with the possible exception of Mako (as [IMO] she's the only one who plausibly forces her way into his posse). It's also how I RP that, but that's a separate topic...

Millardkillmoore's Avatar


Millardkillmoore
03.07.2014 , 07:58 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Because if the Republic learned about what the BH did. They totally wouldn't arrest him.

He killed two Jedi Masters, one of them was the Order's Battlemaster, he ain't welcome in the Republic.
If you make the final lightside choice, the Republic offers the BH a full pardon for all of their actions.

rashencyberspeed's Avatar


rashencyberspeed
03.07.2014 , 11:04 PM | #73
I play my bounty hunter light-sided, and I don't see any major problems. Think about it: Bounty Hunters are people who make a living by killing other people. No matter what way you look at it, someone who takes that kind of job in the first place can't truly call themselves "good". Really, the best you can be is what TV Tropes calls a Punch Clock Villain. Or a Hitman with a Heart. Thinking about it that way, I think it works

AbsolutGrndZero's Avatar


AbsolutGrndZero
03.08.2014 , 12:45 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by rashencyberspeed View Post
I play my bounty hunter light-sided, and I don't see any major problems. Think about it: Bounty Hunters are people who make a living by killing other people. No matter what way you look at it, someone who takes that kind of job in the first place can't truly call themselves "good". Really, the best you can be is what TV Tropes calls a Punch Clock Villain. Or a Hitman with a Heart. Thinking about it that way, I think it works
Except that they don't necessarily. Very few times are you REQUIRED to kill the target, and even then you can choose not to. Bounty hunters exist in real life, are they evil? Nowadays it's "alive" only, very very very rarely is dead an option in real life, but still. Just because Boba Fett was a sociopath using the profession as an excuse for legal murder doesn't mean all bounty hunters are that way IRL or in Star Wars.

I don't recall are you able to "capture" the jedi masters? It's been so long since I played my rattakki mercenary (though I am doing another one, male cathar powertech)

EDIT: Another fictional example (but closer to real life than Star Wars) is Gunsmith Cats. It's about a Chicago bounty hunter. Has she killed people? Yes. However, killing is not what she goes out to do. She tries to bring them in alive, it's only the "big bad" that is trying to kill her that she ends up having no choice to kill or be killed. But, even then she tries to find a way to bring them in alive, because she's not a killer by nature.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Millardkillmoore's Avatar


Millardkillmoore
03.08.2014 , 06:19 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by AbsolutGrndZero View Post
Except that they don't necessarily. Very few times are you REQUIRED to kill the target, and even then you can choose not to. Bounty hunters exist in real life, are they evil? Nowadays it's "alive" only, very very very rarely is dead an option in real life, but still. Just because Boba Fett was a sociopath using the profession as an excuse for legal murder doesn't mean all bounty hunters are that way IRL or in Star Wars.

I don't recall are you able to "capture" the jedi masters? It's been so long since I played my rattakki mercenary (though I am doing another one, male cathar powertech)
Kellian Jarro, the first master, is killed during your fight with him. His apprentice can be spared however. Jun Seros, the second master, is mortally wounded during your fight with him. He either says his last words and then dies of his wounds or you can gun him down as soon as he starts talking.

AbsolutGrndZero's Avatar


AbsolutGrndZero
03.08.2014 , 08:28 AM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Millardkillmoore View Post
Kellian Jarro, the first master, is killed during your fight with him. His apprentice can be spared however. Jun Seros, the second master, is mortally wounded during your fight with him. He either says his last words and then dies of his wounds or you can gun him down as soon as he starts talking.
Okay, so both of those could be argued then for the Creed's 'Capture by Design, Kill by Necessity' rule. You don't necessarily have go in and be like "Okay, I'm killing him, that's the only option cause I'm a sociopath"

So, then that means that there is still only one time where you should go into a bounty with full intent to kill and even when you have defeated them and are able then to capture them, instead you kill them outright, and that's with the Trandoshan on Hoth since the trandoshan religious beliefs ask you to kill them. Even the Eidolon I think is somewhat iffy on whether it's light or dark to turn him over to the Hutts or outright kill him as far as a bounty hunter goes, but I see why they made the light/dark options the way they did there. I very much see where one could argue for kill over capture with Eidolon, since he's asking you to kill him rather than capture him due to the extreme torture the Hutts will inflict on him.

Plus, you have the argument that "light" and "dark" only matter to the force sensitive, which is why when I played my rattakki mercenary (and I think i've said this before in this thread) I turned off all showing of "light" and "dark" in conversations and turned off dark side corruption and tried my best to follow the Bounty Hunter's Creed.

The only time I found that I was forced by the story to [grossly] violate the creed was with Gault, which is kind of why I personally hate him more even than the total psychopathic sociopath Skadge. I manage to justify it to myself that I DID capture him, I just... um... bent the rules... to.. um... yeah.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Bleeters's Avatar


Bleeters
03.11.2014 , 12:53 PM | #77
I kind of found letting his padawan live comical, myself.

I mean, you're going to destroy the ship and kill the entire crew anyway. The ones that aren't already dead, at least. Letting one wounded survivor limp from a fight away because Personal Code Of Honour or whatever strikes me as ridiculous.

DAWUSS's Avatar


DAWUSS
03.11.2014 , 12:56 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Bleeters View Post
I kind of found letting his padawan live comical, myself.

I mean, you're going to destroy the ship and kill the entire crew anyway. The ones that aren't already dead, at least. Letting one wounded survivor limp from a fight away because Personal Code Of Honour or whatever strikes me as ridiculous.
I wanted to recruit that Padawan TBH.

TheBentOne's Avatar


TheBentOne
03.13.2014 , 12:13 AM | #79
I've always imagined my Ideal BH and his crew being a sort of intergalactic A-team. Flying around, zapping thugs and helping out people who can't get help any other way.

That's not how the story played out but I thought playing an honorbound Boba Fett style Neutral/LS BH to be reasonably believable. You fight and kill for honor and glory, credits are secondary. If a mission struck me as dishonorable most of the time I would turn it down. (not being able to kill Gault rubbed me wrong though).

As far as morality is concerned, my hunter considers both the republic and empire (and Jedi and Sith) to be two sides of the same coin, but because the republic considers themselves above hiring contractor like him, guess who he has to work for? Also neither of the jedi were "murdered". They were both actively participating legitimate military targets in a galactic war who were killed in honorable combat. They knew the risks. Besides you kill sith lords, moffs and gangsters over the course of the story too. It evens out.
I bow to no one and give service only for cause.
- From the Journeyman Protectors oath.

FabulousDoctor's Avatar


FabulousDoctor
03.13.2014 , 12:47 PM | #80
My one complain about the Bounty Hunter story being broken, is taking gosh darn SKADGE with you.

You meet him and his dialogue about a woman he has captured is 'She's a real pretty one, aint she. She sounds reeeal purtty when she's screamin' fer me ta stop'. Creepy as ****. You tell her she can go and he threatens you then storms out.

You meet him again, he threatens you and insults you, ordering you around, then fails to catch the guy you're after, and blames you, as well as ruins your one source of information in a rage.

You fix that source of information, and he takes all the credit.

You finally get to Zale, and he demands you kill him. If you capture him, he threatens you again. Then he says he needs you to get off belsavis. IF you pick the 'I'm not letting some psycho on my ship' option he says "Either you take me with you on your ship, or I kill you here and take your ship anyways". So what can you do?

You can take him with you, take him with you, or take him with you.