Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Bounty Hunter story is broken

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
The Bounty Hunter story is broken

Bird_of_Thunder
03.02.2014 , 09:05 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Andge View Post
I totally agree with you on this. Though my wondering about this inconsistency with a light side character killing 100s of innocent people started with the Jedi Knight; the case with the JK may not be as bad as the Bounty Hunter as the end goal in the JK storyline is not money and personal glory. But still; traditionally, JKs don't kill unless that is the only option. And during the JK story you also get to choose to spare the life of NPCs. Yet for most quests you kill dozens of human beings without blinking.
And the issue exists for the SW as well; I don't want to post a spoiler, but generically speaking a light side SW spares the one NPC after the other and even promises one of his companions that they will be working for the light side. And at the same time he constantly helps fulfill the goals of the Sith.

How utterly lame and ridiculous this makes e.g. light side choices of sparing NPCs lifes aside, I guess it is simply impossible to make an Action MMO without having PCs kill.

Tbh, this is just one out of several things that have made me come to the conclusion that the Star Wars universe is - contrary to popular belief - NOT a suited universe for an MMO.

Just to mention a few other problems;
-the lightsabers becoming lightbats. Sure, we've gotten used to the fact that an officer wearing a black cotton uniform can withstand several hits with a lightsaber before he goes down, but you really have to suspend your disbelief for this not to totally take you out of the SW-universe.
-on the same note, the SW universe is filled with granades and laser weapon. In the game this translates into even people wearing cotton uniforms withstanding several direct hits with explosives, often without taking any visible notice of it - even though they are surround by explosions, fire and smoke.
-then there is the matter of 50% of the entire population in SWTOR being Jedi or Sith lords. SWG found a way around this. But then again; if one is going to play a SW game, you will want to be able to play as a Jedi or Sith - even if you're just a casual player.

These are just a few examples.

But when that is said, as I've stated before in the forum, generally speaking the narrative side of SWTOR is disappoiting and underwhelming. Which is why I am in no way sorry to see Daniel Erickson leave Bioware and SWTOR.
For the sake of game mechanics and presenting a challenge, it takes effort to kill people. Whoop-de-do, one hit shots make you feel powerful, but that's not challenging. As for the quests about killing innocents, this isn't supposed to be taken from a lore-standpoint. But a Jedi won't try to talk his way out in the middle of a fight when he was attacked. Aggro mobs are aggro'd for a reason, buddy
Darth Ravvok
Carnage Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>

FabulousDoctor
03.03.2014 , 04:22 PM | #62
Alignment in this game isn't absolute. The Jedi get darkside points for doing things that Sith would choose and get lightside points for (literally - you get darkside points for romance as a Jedi Knight, while the Sith Warrior's 'I love you' choice when romancing Quinn is a lightside one). By your logic every single character on the imperial side should be dark side, because the Empire is evil. Except, so should every republic side character, because either way you leave literal mountains of corpses behind you.

The finale isn't even that bad - you aren't killing a ship full of civilians or anything, you're targetting a republic war asset full of republic military. I don't hear anyone saying the Scoundrel is literally hitler because they blow up an imperial star destroyer.

A lightside bounty hunter isn't 'purity sue', it's 'do my job honorably, and without excess pain caused'. Darkside is 'do whatever it takes, **** everyone, get it done as quick as possible'.

Bleeters
03.03.2014 , 04:22 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
However you are no more autonomous than any other faction, only the Empire, their Mandalorians allies and the Underworld are going to hire you, so some things you will be typically bad.
Gameplay wise you're obviously hard coded into working for the Empire, but as far as the story is concerned? There's work for mercenaries and bounty hunters in Republic space. Heck, one of your qualifying bounties for the Great Hunt is a Republic one, and most of the stuff the Smuggler does is effectively on the same basis - I do this task, you pay me for it.

FabulousDoctor
03.03.2014 , 04:24 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Bleeters View Post
Gameplay wise you're obviously hard coded into working for the Empire, but as far as the story is concerned? There's work for mercenaries and bounty hunters in Republic space. Heck, one of your qualifying bounties for the Great Hunt is a Republic one, and most of the stuff the Smuggler does is effectively on the same basis - I do this task, you pay me for it.
Even more so, if you take the light side end of the Bounty Hunter story it's explicitly mentioned that you're open to hire for anyone, even the republic, if they can pay the right price. The dark side one is the one that makes you anathema in the Republic, forcing you to become an outlaw from all republic space forever.

Beniboybling
03.03.2014 , 04:45 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Bleeters View Post
Taken from the SWTOR Encyclopedia:

Few bounty hunters ply their trade in the Republic. Thanks to stringent bounty laws that vary from planet to planet, obligated repayment of collateral damage, and strong limitations on the use of force, only the largest Republic bounties are worth the risk. The few bounty hunters who manage to operate within these strict parameters are derided by their peers as glorified bail bondsmen.

During the Great War, the Republic treated bounty hunters poorly. Low-paying, high-risk bounties, pressure from the Senate to ban bounty hunter guilds altogether, and stiff taxation on collected bounties lead most bounty hunters to the same conclusion: don't work for the Republic. Today, most mercenaries follow this sage advice.

Bounty hunting is more than just running errands and smuggling supplies, it's taking justice into your own hands, it's killing for money. You can imagine how the Republic would frown upon that. And I don't recall taken bounties from them.

Beniboybling
03.03.2014 , 04:47 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by FabulousDoctor View Post
Even more so, if you take the light side end of the Bounty Hunter story it's explicitly mentioned that you're open to hire for anyone, even the republic, if they can pay the right price. The dark side one is the one that makes you anathema in the Republic, forcing you to become an outlaw from all republic space forever.
Because if the Republic learned about what the BH did. They totally wouldn't arrest him.

He killed two Jedi Masters, one of them was the Order's Battlemaster, he ain't welcome in the Republic.

FabulousDoctor
03.03.2014 , 04:48 PM | #67
Bounty hunting is more than just running errands and smuggling supplies, it's taking justice into your own hands, it's killing for money. You can imagine how the Republic would frown upon that. And I don't recall taken bounties from them.
The first bounty you take (on Balmorra) is a republic one to kill an imperial moff or admiral or whatever.

Because if the Republic learned about what the BH did. They totally wouldn't arrest him.

He killed two Jedi Masters, one of them was the Order's Battlemaster, he ain't welcome in the Republic.
Well, that depends on a lot. The Imperial agent did a lot more than kill two jedi Masters, and is offered a chance to defect to the Republic. The Sith Warrior when played light sided kills about 5 Jedi masters but is offered a chance to redeem themselves and join the Jedi.

Neither is conditioned with 'yeah but serve a jail sentence first'.

Defectors are a thing that in lore both sides ignore 'previous crimes' inorder to encourage.

Beniboybling
03.03.2014 , 04:59 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by FabulousDoctor View Post
The first bounty you take (on Balmorra) is a republic one to kill an imperial moff or admiral or whatever.
Ah, I suppose that was probably from the Republic. But we never actually learn how. Regardless that is certainly classed as among "the largest of Republic bounties". However we already have the Mandalorians acting as a PROXY, and considering the Mandalorians are allies of the Empire who knows who else.

A special circumstance indeed.
Quote:
Well, that depends on a lot. The Imperial agent did a lot more than kill two jedi Masters, and is offered a chance to defect to the Republic. The Sith Warrior when played light sided kills about 5 Jedi masters but is offered a chance to redeem themselves and join the Jedi.

Neither is conditioned with 'yeah but serve a jail sentence first'.

Defectors are a thing that in lore both sides ignore 'previous crimes' inorder to encourage.
While true the BH is an independent entity, he's never going to 'ally' with the Republic - especially if you become a Mando. And given that I don't see why he would be welcome in Republic territory.

Not that there is much to be gained there anyway, as the above quote shows.

FabulousDoctor
03.03.2014 , 05:06 PM | #69
I agree that it's unlikely for the bounty hunter to stay in republic territory for long, but the ending when taken darkside is the only one that talks about how you'll deal with the Republic actively trying to exterminate you with SIS assassinations and stuff. Lightside specifically mentions that they wont be putting you on their lists for that kind of thing.

Bleeters
03.03.2014 , 10:29 PM | #70

That's fine and all, but if you're playing a BH as someone who very much prefers not to kill and to bring their targets back alive like multiple people in this thread have expresed as like the story very much lets you, you have options other than the Empire and the hutts. I don't begrudge the class story pushing you towards playing a character that's kind of a jerk, but if it's going to give alternative ways of playing I'd like those ways to make some degree of sense. I had similar problems with none of the characters in either of the Jedi stories batting an eyelid if you play them full on dark side, for instance.

With regards to the last part, the bounty to return Altaca to Alderaan was placed by his Republic family. I believe it's the first one you complete on Dromund Kaas.