Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Bounty Hunter story is broken

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
The Bounty Hunter story is broken

AbsolutGrndZero's Avatar


AbsolutGrndZero
07.04.2013 , 03:24 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by xxforcardassia View Post
Seems to me what people either forget or don't seem to understand when playing an Imperial aligned character, there is no goody-two-shoes way to play it. Light sides decisions inherently tend to be pro-Empire, not bleeding heart "save the Ewoks!" mentality.

But if you ask me, best way to play (if you're not looking to min-max alignment) is turn off alignment gain visual indicators. I especially find this works well with playing a Trooper, in addition to the BH. I did this with my own BH and from beginning to end in the class story, I ended up at a Light III without even *trying* to be light sided. I played the way I envisioned my BH to be and never stopped to think to myself "this story doesn't fit with being LS".

The fact of the matter seems to be, many aspects of SWTOR are built on the notion of ideals more than black and white, light vs dark. The downside to this is the fact that light and dark point gains don't fall in line with the "grey area" they have when it comes to the rest of the game. I know personally there were numerous light sided options I took on my SW or BH that were made for one reason: personal gain. Last time I checked, that tends to fall in line more with the the dark side notion

Everything else aside, I think BH had not only the best (female) VA, but best story and companions (except Skadge, he can go diaf while screwing a brick for all I care).

Anyway, just my 2c.
Yeah, I agree with you entirely on the turning off alignment showing. I did that with my BH and am doing it with my Trooper. With my Sith and my Jedi I leave it on for them because really i think the alignment system is a Jedi/Sith thing... my non-force users I dont' really care about what their alignment is, especially with the end game relics now not having alignment resctrictions like the early ones did. Now, my Operative I am doing full Light just because of kinda what you said, Pro-Empire, for the people, don't have to be a jerk to love your Empire. Then my Jedi Guardian I'm actually doing full light... except he has a weakness for the laidies LOL so any flirts or such I'll do, even if they are dark side (but like on Tython after he slept with the matriarch's daughter, he confessed to his master LOL and got the lightside points to counteract the dark haha)
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Zojak's Avatar


Zojak
07.19.2013 , 01:22 PM | #32
The problem here isn't that "lightside" doesn't fit, it's that the bounty hunter is hunting bounties but is pinned into the Empire's storylines. It makes no sense for a Bounty Hunter to be defaultly aligned to the Empire - even if the Mandalorians ARE helping them.

I play my bounty hunter with the idea that I am hunting bounties and that most of my employment comes from Empire because the Republic is too squeemish to hire me. I completely agree that the questlines on planets like Taris don't make much sense because of the Empire's inherently sadistic nature, and the bland coverup of doing it for money can only take you so far.. especially since I am not utterly wealthy as a result.

I think this is a good opportunity to point out that the Smuggler and the Bounty Hunter should both be part of a freelancer's faction.. and basically have access to every quest hub on each planet, based on their choices or maybe through some alignment scale.

That way you can hunt bounties for whatever reason. Just my two cents.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men." A.J.Durai

Kaisernick's Avatar


Kaisernick
07.19.2013 , 04:56 PM | #33
i always saw the BH to be more of a person with honor rather than simply kill and get paid, when u get the options to spare someone most of the time its against people who could not stand a chance against you, a honorable person wouldn't fight someone who has no chance so it seems to me that a lightside BH is still a bad guy sort of but like mandos he has a sense of honor.

Phyreblade's Avatar


Phyreblade
07.19.2013 , 07:30 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by xxforcardassia View Post
Seems to me what people either forget or don't seem to understand when playing an Imperial aligned character, there is no goody-two-shoes way to play it. Light sides decisions inherently tend to be pro-Empire, not bleeding heart "save the Ewoks!" mentality.

But if you ask me, best way to play (if you're not looking to min-max alignment) is turn off alignment gain visual indicators. I especially find this works well with playing a Trooper, in addition to the BH. I did this with my own BH and from beginning to end in the class story, I ended up at a Light III without even *trying* to be light sided. I played the way I envisioned my BH to be and never stopped to think to myself "this story doesn't fit with being LS".

The fact of the matter seems to be, many aspects of SWTOR are built on the notion of ideals more than black and white, light vs dark. The downside to this is the fact that light and dark point gains don't fall in line with the "grey area" they have when it comes to the rest of the game. I know personally there were numerous light sided options I took on my SW or BH that were made for one reason: personal gain. Last time I checked, that tends to fall in line more with the the dark side notion

Everything else aside, I think BH had not only the best (female) VA, but best story and companions (except Skadge, he can go diaf while screwing a brick for all I care).

Anyway, just my 2c.
This is totally how I play all my characters. But it's an ideal that came, ironically, through my first playthrough of the BH story. Because, as you say, it wasn't so much "I'm LS" or "I'm DS". It really wasn't. It was, rather, "I'm uniquely me." It was an individual with ideas and ethics and morals distinct to their own origin and story. And she refused to be shoved into a neat little label, even if it did look pretty, like "lightside".
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel, Sawbones Scoundrel on the Shadowlands Server
Phyreblade, Co-Leader Covenant of the Phoenix

Pietrastor's Avatar


Pietrastor
07.19.2013 , 08:36 PM | #35
Warrior is much more incompatible with LS roleplaying than BH. In then, not matter how many people you spare, you're a cheerleader for Space Hitler. And there's no going around that.

AbsolutGrndZero's Avatar


AbsolutGrndZero
07.19.2013 , 08:48 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Pietrastor View Post
Warrior is much more incompatible with LS roleplaying than BH. In then, not matter how many people you spare, you're a cheerleader for Space Hitler. And there's no going around that.
I invoke Godwin's Law.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Kaisernick's Avatar


Kaisernick
07.24.2013 , 07:08 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Pietrastor View Post
Warrior is much more incompatible with LS roleplaying than BH. In then, not matter how many people you spare, you're a cheerleader for Space Hitler. And there's no going around that.
there are some points in the story where i have picked lightside options like the duel i had with the trando on Belsavis and on koriban with the assassin i sent her to imperial intelligence but the problem is trying to go 100% light or dark most of the time, it just doesn't work for most classes.

ekwalizer's Avatar


ekwalizer
07.24.2013 , 08:33 PM | #38
I played both my BHers basically as galactic police officers. My Merc somehow ended up Light V (but that was after a lot of dailies) and my PT is Dark III or there about.

For the most part I made all my LS/DS choices based on what I would do if I was really in that exact scenario. There is almost always a non-lethal solution to every mark you encounter. When you do not have a choice and are forced to kill the mark, that is generally a hard coded event in the game. When the game forces your hand you shouldn't look at that as a reflection on the moral compass of your character.

I do fully agree that the stereotypical BH is far more likely to be a sociopath than the rest of the Imperial options. The profession simply lends itself to that mindset. Sith are indoctrinated with murder as a way of life simply by their "kill or die" academic experiences. But at some point in the life of every BH, they made an active decision to to take that as their chosen profession.

Sinapus's Avatar


Sinapus
07.24.2013 , 09:07 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Bytemite View Post
My personal headcanon is that none of the guys you kill enroute to your story cutscene actually die. They have a medical plan a lot like yours that rehabilitates them in the field after a few minutes. They also revive their pets, much like your character does with their companions.
That's one way to explain the respawn mechanics.

Maxim 37: There is no overkill, there is only "Open Fire" and "I Need to Reload."

Friend Referral Link.

AbsolutGrndZero's Avatar


AbsolutGrndZero
07.25.2013 , 01:54 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaisernick View Post
there are some points in the story where i have picked lightside options like the duel i had with the trando on Belsavis and on koriban with the assassin i sent her to imperial intelligence but the problem is trying to go 100% light or dark most of the time, it just doesn't work for most classes.
You can't look at it as "Good" vs "Evil" that's your problem. Especially on the Sith side, the Light Side Sith Warrior is NOT A GOOD GUY. He is however, HONORABLE.

A good way to look at it, the Sith Warrior Light Side to me felt very much like Lawful Evil in Dungeons and Dragons. They're evil, no doubt about it... but they have a code of honor they follow. If they feel you need to die, you die. They don't cackle and torture you to death. In fact, my juggernaut, who is Light Side 100%, has never done a single Dark Side thing, proudly wears the title of "Imperial Loyalist" because The Empire comes first in everything. That doesn't mean he has to be all dark side and go around kicking kittens.

Then with the Bounty Hunter, they're not even a force user. So, when I played my mercenary I turned off the LS/DS options, didn't know what things were until I saw what it showed on the screen when I earned points. Then, I played a bounty hunter... she's not good, she's not bad, she's a bounty hunter working for whoever has the most money to pay her fees, that being the Empire.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain