Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stop complaining about the War Hero grind

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Stop complaining about the War Hero grind

rob_y
10.05.2012 , 10:45 AM | #1
Everyone's always saying that it takes forever to grind enough gear to be competitive in 50 PvP.

I just dinged 50 about an hour ago and I had 2864 ranked comms, 1841 regular comms. That didn't take a ton of PvP while leveling to accomplish (I wasn't skipping a ton of content or something - I finished my class quest by level 46 and even did enough space missions to have 295 fleet comms and a power conversion module on my ship).

I grabbed my recruit gear, bought a War Hero mainhand and BM boots (I was just shy of buying the BM pants that I wanted next) and equipped a Columi level pair of legacy gloves that I had sent over from a different character (these were barely better than recruit gloves, so they don't make much of a difference).

Since Voidstar is a good DPS-check, here's a screenshot of how I did an hour after hitting 50. We lost, of course, but I don't think the level of my gear had anything to do with that (it was mostly bad communication on the part of our team). I'm just trying to show that with fresh 50 gear, you CAN be competitive in regular warzones. Gear doesn't make as big a difference as some people seem to think.

I'm mostly posting this so I can just refer people to this when they complain about the post-50 gear grind. Also, it's on a Commando, so I get to kill two birds with one stone.

Here're the two links:

Me about to hit 50: http://i46.tinypic.com/4gt9p3.jpg
My first 50 Voidstar on this character: http://i46.tinypic.com/dxnsqq.jpg
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five

vandana_
10.05.2012 , 11:11 AM | #2
except the full WH commando would do 600k (without any effort) or more (putting some effort and skill).
V'ox

rob_y
10.05.2012 , 11:14 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by vandana_ View Post
except the full WH commando would do 600k (without any effort) or more (putting some effort and skill).
I'm fine with this answer, since my goal was to show that a.) gear isn't a huge deal and/or b.) commandos CAN do DPS in PvP.
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five

DroidDreamer
10.05.2012 , 11:29 AM | #4
To the OP:

The devs already said the gear gap is not within their own expected ranges. That's why they rolled out MK-2 Recruit gear. They also said they'll be doing a Bolster-type power bump at 50 to address the issue, if I recall correctly. So while you're entitled to your opinion, this issue has already been conceded by the devs, been the subject of one fix and is going to be further addressed in future updates.

For the record, I also agree that it goes quickly if you bank your comms. That said, just because you can gear up to some BM and WH with banked comms and gear up to BM relatively quickly doesn't mean the gear gap isn't an issue more generally. Many (not all) matches are decided by the respective teams gear gap and it's no fun on either side of the equation.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

Kharnski
10.05.2012 , 11:41 AM | #5
So you play one game in the best damage tree in the game, lose while dying 11 times and tell people to stop whining?

Recruit gear is bad. I have a full aug WH Guardian with both damage and tank sets of gear fully modded out properly. I have a new 50 Juggernaut in recruit gear that has WH Lightsaber and Offhand from levels 40-50. The difference is night and day. I easily die 10+ times a game, get killed within a 4 second stun and I'm afraid to guard people because I will die in seconds if that person gets hit by anything dangerous (ie. smash, pyros).

I am the primary target of enemy dps the second they realize Im in recruit, as Im essentially a free kill. On the Guardian I am the last target, because it is a huge time commitment to try to bring it down.

Posting a single screenshot of a single game is a joke. Under the right circumstances you can put up great numbers. I put up 200k damage and 300k protection in recruit yesterday because the other team didnt have enough damage to kill people through our fully geared healers. If the other team had a few decent players however, I wouldve been toast.

The fact is you would never bring a full recruit player to a rated warzone, and that should speak for the issue. Even full BM isnt good enough. I dont understand the logic of the gear grind in this game. It is a barrier to (re-)entry in this game for unsubbed players, and as a subbed player with more time than the average player, it is a still an unfun bore. It is also a barrier to entry for rated warzones (probably why theyre so unpopular) because you need the right 8 man composition and you need everyone fully geared. Not an easy thing to have, at least not consistently.
Kharns
<Super Goomba Bros>

Eggsalicious
10.05.2012 , 11:55 AM | #6
The grind isn't hard, it's just boring as ****.
You know how many beers are required to get from 90-100? Lots-- and I didn't even like beer.
Now I put the sh*t in my cornflakes.

Devilk
10.05.2012 , 12:01 PM | #7
DPS is not the problem at all as a fresh 50 in recruits gear/few bm pieces. It's survivability running around with 14k morale. You are a free kill, sure you can still put out decent damage, but when you die in 3 globals, well what good are you to your team?

tbowen
10.05.2012 , 12:01 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kharnski View Post
The fact is you would never bring a full recruit player to a rated warzone, and that should speak for the issue. Even full BM isnt good enough. I dont understand the logic of the gear grind in this game. It is a barrier to (re-)entry in this game for unsubbed players, and as a subbed player with more time than the average player, it is a still an unfun bore. It is also a barrier to entry for rated warzones (probably why theyre so unpopular) because you need the right 8 man composition and you need everyone fully geared. Not an easy thing to have, at least not consistently.
Holy crap, man...cry some more please. You wouldnt take someone in PVE greens to do hardmode EC would you? NOPE. Its the same thing, rateds right now tend to be for the best of the best. Not the noobs. If you want to be on even par with someone who has spent a huge amount of time dedicated to playing as soon as you turn the computer on...then this isn't your game. Maybe you should try Call of Duty...or better yet the sims sounds more like your kind of game. Damn right my guardian will roflstomp your *** in 5 seconds if you just dinged 50. Ive been playing him since the game came out. I don't complain when i switch to my combat medic or my shadow in recruit/bm gear that i cant just face roll everyone, I havent put the time in on them to earn that. Go vote for Obama maybe he'll tell you "they didn't build their toons" and give you a free set of WH.

That said I do think they need an arena system for small groups of 2-4, would make it much easier to get people into competetive pvp and much easier to group the bads with the bads and the pros with the pros so we don't have to listen to so much QQ.

Devilk
10.05.2012 , 12:05 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by tbowen View Post
Holy crap, man...cry some more please. You wouldnt take someone in PVE greens to do hardmode EC would you? NOPE. Its the same thing, rateds right now tend to be for the best of the best. Not the noobs. If you want to be on even par with someone who has spent a huge amount of time dedicated to playing as soon as you turn the computer on...then this isn't your game. Maybe you should try Call of Duty...or better yet the sims sounds more like your kind of game. Damn right my guardian will roflstomp your *** in 5 seconds if you just dinged 50. Ive been playing him since the game came out. I don't complain when i switch to my combat medic or my shadow in recruit/bm gear that i cant just face roll everyone, I havent put the time in on them to earn that. Go vote for Obama maybe he'll tell you "they didn't build their toons" and give you a free set of WH.

That said I do think they need an arena system for small groups of 2-4, would make it much easier to get people into competetive pvp and much easier to group the bads with the bads and the pros with the pros so we don't have to listen to so much QQ.
lol, rated best of the best. LOL.

Gerbanator
10.05.2012 , 12:22 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by tbowen View Post

Thank you. 2nd best comment I have seen all day.
/signed Gerb

btw, first best comment.

Quote: Originally Posted by Eggsalicious View Post
The grind isn't hard, it's just boring as ****.
You know how many beers are required to get from 90-100? Lots-- and I didn't even like beer.
Now I put the sh*t in my cornflakes.