Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

EA Statement on Subscriber Numbers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
EA Statement on Subscriber Numbers

xxIncubixx
10.05.2012 , 01:22 PM | #31
what bugs exactly? never experienced warhammer online bug sizes on this game so its cool

ckjawa
10.05.2012 , 01:24 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by sithgreyguard View Post
whats wrong with 500,000+ subs , i played city of heroes and in the first two maybe three years we only had 250,000+ subs.
City of Hero's didn't fork out 200+ million in development for a product that wasn't even finished or polished.

Lord_Ravenhurst
10.05.2012 , 01:24 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by sithgreyguard View Post
whats wrong with 500,000+ subs , i played city of heroes and in the first two maybe three years we only had 250,000+ subs.
Nothing wrong with it but the development cost was extremely high and the offices probably bloated with too many people. Therefore cost reduction.

I think after the layoffs the game would still be profitable at 300.000 subs, not 500.000

DarthScruffy
10.05.2012 , 01:24 PM | #34
They seem to be looking at the STO model. Advertise on star wars.com, get 1-50 f2pers with money spent on star wars-y vanity goodies.

Hekati
10.05.2012 , 01:32 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by TaylaEwa View Post
ISeveral of my guildies have had this one: Upon attempting to board your ship, the loading screen freezes, turns black, then the game crashes with no error windows. When trying to log back in, you get the message that the toon is already logged in. It can be up to 5 days before CS gets around to unlocking it for you. One of my guildmates has had this happen 3 times on the same toon.
For the record (answering specific "what's wrong?" question), a version of this happened to me, although after two attempts (quitting game and restarting) I was able to access my toon again without contacting CS.

Foambreaker
10.05.2012 , 02:09 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Old article.

The result the first time it appeared on these forums was a firestorm. Please use search.

The salient take away was that EA says *WE* the players left SWTOR because of the subscription instead of the lack of content and features that many AAA MMORPGs have and which we have grown accustomed.

If you want to ADD to that the recient craptastic Patch 1.4, I would be surprised if EAware keeps 500K subscribers if they don't fix many of the errors introduced and REintroduced with this patch.
I like the "AAA" comment, as if WoW was triple A when it came out. If WoW were released today, in the condition it was when it hit the streets, it would flop. It had no end game content, no PvP content except world which sucked bad, no group finder or any of those other "AAA" features.

WoW had timing most of all, at the time it's compitition was was UO and EQ, UO was self destructing and people were bored with EQ.

CalonLan
10.05.2012 , 02:15 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
People didnt leave over 15 bucks a month. They left because it wasnt worth paying 15 bucks a month for. Most of those people are not likely to pay much money in the store either.
Pretty much my opinion too.

But F2P only works because there are idiots who won't pay $15 a month subscription but will happily spend $20 a month for useless fluff in the store.
Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Nemmar
10.05.2012 , 02:54 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by ckjawa View Post
City of Hero's didn't fork out 200+ million in development for a product that wasn't even finished or polished.
This is such an old and bad argument.

This game already made that money back with box sales. Lets move on from that.

The game is also profitable. What we have here is EA saying they want to make alot more money with the game than they are doing.

I think patch 1.4 must've brought back all the doom sayers. They like to moan, but in the end they come back because this game is good. I just find funny how they want it to fail baaad just cause they had a big budget at the start.

NEWS FLASH: This game was supposed to be KOTOR online! It SUCEEDED AT BEEING THAT! Its not our fault you thought money = their going to make the bst MMO ever. It means they are going to make a cool KOTOR online. And they did!

I swear... TERA and GW2 are terribly buggy and you dont get people moaning about it constantly like its the end of the world.
Aslong as they are not in raids, its something im willing to wait till it gets fixed. I like this game, and i want it to keep on going for many years to come.

People left for one reason: There was no new content. There is now, wich is why people like you are back with us.
Also, it helped that people got a reality check with GW2.

Xatasha
10.05.2012 , 03:01 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by dscount View Post
I agree and so do most of those in the MMO community. No way will it happen.

I do think SWTOR could get back up to that 2 million mark IF they make some significant changes. I think F2P is the only way to inflate the numbers, but I think the true value is if they start listening to feedback.

Granted, some feedback is reviewed and acted on (not sure how, but it's happening).

That 1000 Papercuts is an excellent example of a model they should look into. A focus group working alongside with BW to develop a better product for everyone. Heck I'd jump onboard to help make it a better product and so would many others that love the game, but hate it's death spiral that it's begun. Signing NDA's and such would be in order, but it's worth it to BW to get engaged with customers. I don't think DEV's play this game themselves or more would be fixed prior to deployment.
Forum feedback isn't that valuable. It comes from a very small percent of the people that play and is very loud minority. It is not however a good sampling of people that play. Forum players are a form of hardcore player

Trenter
10.05.2012 , 03:13 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
EA needs new analysts. Their theory is wrong. There is no way in high hell that this game will get 50 million subscribers, EVER. They predict that by next year. LMAO.
So it's not the analyst firm that actually made the prediction that should hire new analysts then? You have a link to EA making claims like that?
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson