Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

EA Statement on Subscriber Numbers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
EA Statement on Subscriber Numbers

Apache
10.06.2012 , 03:02 PM | #111
Being a reasonable kind of person, I can see the reasoning behind going F2P. They say it will bring in more players, and to me, it makes sense.

But where do they get 10 to 50 Million new active players from? That seems like a crazy high number to me. I can see 50 thousand to maybe even a couple of million new players, but 10 to 50 million? Thats an insane number of players!

Are there even 50 million MMO Gamers that are Star Wars fans? Are there even 50 million MMO Gamers in the entire world?

Also, I wish they would stop saying that people quit the game because they were turned off by the subscription model. People quit because they felt that the game as it stood (atleast at that time) wasnt Worth paying a subscription for. BIG Difference.

And for the record, I like the game. Even with all of its faults, I still enjoy myself and I plan on being a subscriber even after the game goes F2P.

However, I wont be a subscriber after F2P if they put all of the best goodies up for sale in the Cartel Shop, and want to make me pay more monies on top of my subscription to acquire. THAT would really tick me off.

Kyanzes
10.06.2012 , 04:07 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
That and lack of end game content. The sub wasn't the issue. Soon that reality will hit Bioware too.
Flawless assessment.

Roalmo
10.06.2012 , 04:14 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Kyanzes View Post
Flawless assessment.
Hate to break it to you, but when the sub numbers started their slide, very few people knew anything about end-game content or lack there of. Try another idea.

hippiechick
10.06.2012 , 04:24 PM | #114
I think that people said "the game isnt worth the montyly sub" and BW read that as "Id play it if it were free". Id bet my farm that the people who left did so due to LACK OF CONTENT and wont be back until they have something more to do. The people that F2P will attract will be the HUGE crowd of "free gamers" who go from free game to free game and pretty much ruin any sense of community or loyalty in each game. NOT the people who have played out the content in THIS game and left due to the lack of something NEW to do.

That is just my guess though....

M
If at first you don't succeed...
then skydiving isn't for you.

Roalmo
10.06.2012 , 04:25 PM | #115
[QUOTE=simplius;5251054.., they need to revamp the game[/QUOTE]

not revamp, but:

1. when almost all players click on the enter button, they get in the game.

2. when almost all players are in the game they STAY in the game and don't visit a never ending load screen, or their windows screen.

3. when most players are in the game it appears smooth and their actions seem to work right(no stuttering anyone?, no delays on the action bars anyone?, no stuck on your ship forever?)

You get NO MONEY from micro-transactions when the players quit out, due to poor game play/game engine/game systems. FTP will take them down the same path as ptp, unless they fix the bloody game, so it is playable by a whole bunch of peeps, unlike for all the ones that quit.(of course if they could fix it we'd still have north of 1million playing and no need for ftp)

hippiechick
10.06.2012 , 04:33 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
If WoW were released today, in the condition it was when it hit the streets, it would flop. .
And this game released TODAY in WORSE condition than WoW did 8 yrs ago. People have to stop comparing the release success/failure of a game that released almost a decade ago to a game that released within the last year. The bar has been raised. We now expect our games to offer things that we didnt even know were going to exist when WoW came out. (LFG for example. This game should have shipped with an LFG system in place. When WoW released there WAS no game with an LFG system in place so we didnt expect WoW to have one either). Truth be told, if WoW released today exactly as it was when it DID release it would still beat the heck out of SWTOR. Sorry but it would.

M
If at first you don't succeed...
then skydiving isn't for you.

Roalmo
10.06.2012 , 04:38 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by hippiechick View Post
.... Truth be told, if WoW released today exactly as it was when it DID release it would still beat the heck out of SWTOR. Sorry but it would.

M
Sorry it wouldn't, the conditions then don't exist now. The little old ladies in Kansas, and the soccer moms thru out the US, would not subscribe, they have lots of social networking choices now. And the explosive US growth of wow was due to those peeps, not hard-core mmo players. They simply used wow as a social network. Remember all those folks standing around the major hubs just talking/emoting? Guess who?

cloudwalkerrr
10.06.2012 , 04:46 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Roalmo View Post
Hate to break it to you, but when the sub numbers started their slide, very few people knew anything about end-game content or lack there of. Try another idea.

End game content was a complaint within the first month... i remember clearly, so yeah hes right.

simplius
10.06.2012 , 04:47 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Roalmo View Post
yup a lot of us didnt even get that far,,some even dumped it hours after trying it

after a month,,i just couldnt stand it anymore

the total lack of freedom, the bugs

the annoying grindy mobs i have to hack my way through

the lack of immersion, static world, weird music cues

this game felt like unpleasent work so now i hope for a revamp

simplius
10.06.2012 , 05:00 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by cloudwalkerrr View Post
End game content was a complaint within the first month... i remember clearly, so yeah hes right.
so?? this is a new game, and less than a month after launch, they have to deliver more?

this is the unreasonable pressure that kills games,,no dev will ever keep up with these guys

like pressuring a normal car to go as fast as a racing car

and when the devs listen and give them content, that they cant beat? they rage the forums for nerfs

devs nerf it, and they flame again for now its too easy

those players are the real plagues of mmo,not the casuals

they rip through any content, at ludicrous speed, and yell for MORE

their favorite answer is "L2PNOOB"

and when they have ruined a game , they flame it for being "too easy", and go look for a new victim

this is a game that is build for their specifications,,not for a normal player to have fun