Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

EA Statement on Subscriber Numbers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion

simplius
10.06.2012 , 03:35 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by ufarax View Post
Found this on TORWARS (http://torwars.com/2012/08/06/torwar...-free-to-play/)

“First, the game many of you have been tracking closely, Star Wars: The Old Republic. Although it launched well, subscriptions have been on a declining trajectory and have now slipped below one million. Last year we announced that the breakeven point was roughly 500,000 subscribers. And while we are well above that today, that’s not good enough. The message from players exiting the game is clear – 40 percent say they were turned off by the monthly subscription. And many indicated they would come back if we offered a free-to-play model. Our plan now is to pivot and provide a two-tiered pricing plan which will make the game more accessible and grow the audience. The new pricing will go into effect in November.”

MMORPG Interview with Jeff Hickman and Matthew Bromberg – Source

“They plan on releasing these every six weeks, and they’ll include different sorts of content each time: warzones, operations, public events, and so on (even a mix of all three might be possible). And while there’s no set price point for each update, they plan to break it down into different options enough so that PVP folks can focus on buying the content they want, and dungeon folks can focus on what they want, while others can buy everything in one package if they want as well. They also have a brand new event for all subscribers coming in August which is a public world event like the Rhakgoul Invasion.”

Game Analysts Predict that F2P could bring 50 million Monthly Users to SWTOR

Wedbush currently has a 12-month price target of $29 and a rating of “Outperform” for EA. The market is reacting positively to EA’s fiscal news, which involved making Star Wars: The Old Republic free. EA’s stock closed up almost six percent at $11.68.

Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter:

“We believe the free-to-play option and lower retail price will combine to significantly increase the number of Star Wars players by the end of the year as the two largest barriers to entry for potential Star Wars gamers (apart from an appreciation for the franchise and PC gaming) have been significantly reduced or eliminated. We expect the network effect to augment the number of gamers further. In the long-term, we believe the adjustments will result in incremental revenue and earnings growth as high-margin Cartel Coin purchases by a much larger pool of gamers and additional advertising generate more revenue than was lost through declining subscription fees and the lower MSRP.”

Ultimately, Pachter believes that Star Wars now has the potential to “attract at least 10 million Monthly Active Users indefinitely, with upside to perhaps 50 million.” He added, “Thus, we believe that contribution from the model shift could be significant for years to come.”
i see a big problem here:
EA fumbels the game, and after realizing, that normal players wont pay for it, they decide to give parts of it away

AND THE STOCKMARKET IS POSITIVE TO THIS FAILURE?

no wonder its getting harder to find good games,,if they can earn money, by this kind of "success"

Foobert
10.06.2012 , 07:30 AM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by simplius View Post
EA fumbels the game, and after realizing, that normal players wont pay for it, they decide to give parts of it away

no wonder its getting harder to find good games,,if they can earn money, by this kind of "success"
monetization. Look it up.

Foobert
10.06.2012 , 07:36 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by Digimanbyte_ID View Post
Currently the model for SWTOR is not bringing in enough customers or cash. So F2play would fix that by attracting new customers, throw in cool looking items you can only purchase with money and bam you have an income revenue.

Believe me when I say most people will pay through the nose for cool looking gear that gives them a robotic voice or black colour crystals or a riding tauntaun. Not only that but more players playing the game for free means more bug reports and suggestions to improve the game.

The idea here is a loyalty system for subs to make them feel a little more appreciated for paying to play their game rather then feel like the company only cares about their money and wants you to pay more for extra items.
Exactly. Not to mention there is an additional chance that anyone who chooses or continues to subscribe may also spend additional money beyond their subfee on those cash shop items because they're going to run into those F2P players riding that cool looking tauntaun or wielding the black lightsaber or whatever and they're going to be impatient for next month's stipend to roll in and they're going to login to the cartel points store and impulsively buy some cartel points in order to keep up with the Joneses. We see this in LOTRO and we see this in STO (The STO effect is actually pretty pronounced, you see a lot of people running around with the cash shop costumes, "exclusive" ship costumes, and also the latest flavor of gambling box ships all the time). Exploiting people's psychology of desire and jealousy sounds creepy but this is how corporations have been making profits for decades.

Nemmar
10.06.2012 , 10:27 AM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by TheronFett View Post
EA has interpreted the exiting players incorrectly. They're saying:
"This game isn't worth paying for."

Yeah, some people who left the game will come back with a F2P option. Most won't. Most of the ones who left already have level 50 characters who are interested in more content, PvP, bug fixes, and better overall gameplay. F2P does not address those concerns.
You are wrong.

I would like to know what you're doing still paying for this game? If you had bothered one bit to get informed, you would know we will be having content updates every 6 weeks after F2P goes live. Thats the content everyone wants and why they will stick around. Bug fixes are obviously still in order given they even gaves us a list of known bugs for 1.4 that are beeing adressed.

Gameplay needs a little optimization with the missed GCD's issue, but seriously, playing this game is more fun than any other MMO in the market, maybe bar TERA. Go play GW2 and you will see what bad gameplay is. Have fun spamming that auto-attack! Seriously, go play the other MMO's. I challenge everyone badmouthing this game to go play the "revolution" that is GW2 or the "polished" WoW MoP. Dont play it for one or two days though... play it all the way to max level for a couple of weeks. At that point, you will see the light and will come back here, cause this is the best MMO out at the moment.
People just love to poke holes on Bioware because of EA. The level of criticism this game gets is incredibly unfair and hides the great game there is here. People will eventually realise that as they play other MMO's.

simplius
10.06.2012 , 10:40 AM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
You are wrong.

I would like to know what you're doing still paying for this game? If you had bothered one bit to get informed, you would know we will be having content updates every 6 weeks after F2P goes live. Thats the content everyone wants and why they will stick around. Bug fixes are obviously still in order given they even gaves us a list of known bugs for 1.4 that are beeing adressed.

Gameplay needs a little optimization with the missed GCD's issue, but seriously, playing this game is more fun than any other MMO in the market, maybe bar TERA. Go play GW2 and you will see what bad gameplay is. Have fun spamming that auto-attack! Seriously, go play the other MMO's. I challenge everyone badmouthing this game to go play the "revolution" that is GW2 or the "polished" WoW MoP. Dont play it for one or two days though... play it all the way to max level for a couple of weeks. At that point, you will see the light and will come back here, cause this is the best MMO out at the moment.
People just love to poke holes on Bioware because of EA. The level of criticism this game gets is incredibly unfair and hides the great game there is here. People will eventually realise that as they play other MMO's.
TERA is way more beautiful and functional than this game

and the gameplay mechanichs are similar

and yet TERA is also struggling, while pandalands easy gameplay is still unchallenged in sub numbers

perhaps theres a connection?

maxetius
10.06.2012 , 11:24 AM | #106
Quote:
At the end of the day the elephant in the room is still revolving around the subscription fees though.
This. Subs are going the way of the dodo. Microtransactions are the way of the future. Buy 3 pieces of gear on the cash shop and you've paid the monthly sub fee. And you want the other 3 pieces, right? So you buy some more... till something cooler looking comes out.

same principle, Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, whenever a new multiplayer pack is released, EA racks up on money from casual players who didn't/can't save up millions of in-game currency to buy the 'gambling packs' to get the new gear, characters, and weapons.

BPAgent
10.06.2012 , 12:04 PM | #107
At 250,000 active subscribers (I'm sure there are more but I saw this number in this thread) they take in $3.75M / mo on just THIS games subscription revenue. You can't put out a decent patch for $3.75M/mo??? These guys need a Govt contract.

Andryah
10.06.2012 , 12:22 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by simplius View Post

BTW, what is a "normal" player??? Regardless, still plenty of subscribers to this game, so I think you need a reality check, and also need to do some research on how freemium games are dominating the consumer market base (due to consumer demand) and that MMO freemium games in particular see 2X+ active players and much more revenue then when they were subscription only. There is a reason the model is becoming dominant in the marketplace.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

aceshocker
10.06.2012 , 12:29 PM | #109
I agree with the fact that people are leaving because of lack of content. That alone makes it not worth the sub fee. People aren't going to leave for sub fee alone because they knew that it was coming when they bought the game. In reality, another thing that hurt was the game took at least alot more time in production than originally thought. That had people thinking that alot of the previous and now present issues would have been eliminated pre-launch. Survey says: Wrong Answer! Needless to say that their estimated player estimate is about as far south of reality as the southern most tip of South America is from Alaska. F2P may not kill the game, but paying for every little item or piece of updated content is going to eventually turn off more paying subs to go F2P or worse. I know several of my friends want to comeback or join when F2P happens but the limitations are going to make it less enjoyable considering a few were paying subs at one point.

simplius
10.06.2012 , 12:41 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post

BTW, what is a "normal" player??? Regardless, still plenty of subscribers to this game, so I think you need a reality check, and also need to do some research on how freemium games are dominating the consumer market base (due to consumer demand) and that MMO freemium games in particular see 2X+ active players and much more revenue then when they were subscription only. There is a reason the model is becoming dominant in the marketplace.
normal= casual

soo,,even if they made enough money with subs, they still go F2P, because they can make even more that way?

ok, ill buy that, but why not start as F2P then? and i seem to recall one of the devs stating the opposite less than

a year ago,,something with "the F2Pers cant deliver the same quality as we do",,do u remember?

no this is a emergency brake , and F2P will not save it, they need to revamp the game