Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we get an update on Bioware's stance?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can we get an update on Bioware's stance?

Odyseus
10.06.2012 , 08:29 AM | #51
This change has seriously downgraded my game experience. Sorc's already have their hands full trying to maintain distance from Melee classes. With this change it totally gimps us in the area of defense something we're sorely lacking in the first place. It pains me that they will continue to nerf sorc's even though we're the squishiest class in the game, and we do less DPS than Imperial Agents and Bounty Hunters.
Odysseus, SWG server Flurry, Commando, TK/Rifleman, Fencer/Combat Medic.

Thylbanus
10.06.2012 , 09:28 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by grombrinda View Post
If this was true....then this game going f2p would've never happened.
It's called lack of quality control....maybe some day .........whatever.
Really? All MMOs will be heading to the F2P format, it makes more economical sence. F2P is looked at as the last ditch effort of the failing. It's not. The reason why they are failing is that there are so many just like it. There are just too many games out there. The gamer population is only so big. Even if every gamer could support two games at $15 a month, that is still not enough to support all the games out there. It's wise to go to F2P. It is basically Drug Dealing: 101. Get the mark hooked on your product by giving it away for free or at low cost and then zing em with overpriced dime bags to make your real money. F2P is not a sign of weakness, it's just the future of online gaming. Eventually there will be tiered subscription plans. Plans to pay extra to keep out the "riff raff" that everyone hates so much about F2P populations. Basically setting up special instances for subscribers only or special queues that only subscribers can log onto.

It's time to admit that people just don't like change. It's OK to admit that people have become well trained sheep. Willing to shell out extra money to keep to an antiquated system. Companies and governments have been using this Jedi Mind Trick since the dawn of time. Like George Carlin said, "The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the [crap] out of the middle class. Keep 'em showin' up at them jobs." Same situation here. Those who can afford to pay will get the crap scared out of them by the "poor" F2P community so that they will be willing to shell out extra to keep them away. It's the same reason people shell out $250 for entrance into a club. It's not so the club makes money (sure it's a nice side effect), it's to keep out those who couldn't afford to throw away $250 to get into a club.

Funny how so many don't see this.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Deewe
10.06.2012 , 07:02 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Bloodstealer View Post
Bottom line some players like to feel secure that their one tricky pony is ubersauce many others enjoy games that challenge them to learn their class, their abilities and limitations.. balance keeps that process from drying up imo.
Sorry but while I can't speak for the Sage/Sith as both mine are low level, the Trooper and especially the Gunnery is far from being that ubersauce you are mentioning.

I dare saying mostly everyone agrees on the fact it needed beef not nerfing.
Playing a Gunnery trooper was kind of masochist before now it simply sucks in PvP.

Before leaving, to the players complaining the 360 sage Knockback was of an issue in PvE, the issues does not lies with the skill but the player at the other end. A half decent player can position his character to push the mobs in the right direction. Thing is, with the 360 one they also had the ability to clear the area around them and especially behind, which they can't anymore.

Again in PvP everyone knew they had this skill, as much as everyone knew Troopers had KB. You know what: we adapted and it was part of the game. The only issue we all had is there was too much stun locks in TOR.
Point being there is even more Stuns lock in TOR since 1.4 and classes that needed a buff have been nerfed.
If at least they would have handed us a free AC to AC respec.

Yogol
10.06.2012 , 11:42 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by DashaAdair View Post
I think this points to one of their specific problems: they don't get feedback until way too late in the process to do anything about it.
Yeah, that seems to be a problem with the test server in this game. I know of very, very little changes that were made after the people's reaction in the tests.
Yogol. Rebel without a cause. Often without a clue too.
Founder of The Fruitfly Guild, the one-day-beta-guild for one-day-beta-characters.

Serbegorn
10.07.2012 , 12:44 AM | #55
Bioware's stance? I'd say it's something like laying in the corner in the fetal position sucking their thumb, lol.

WaywardOne
10.07.2012 , 01:06 AM | #56
I know full well that there are people that will complain about anything especially on Msg boards. Heck I dare anyone to name a single significant thing that BW has changed in SWTOR that hasn't received at least two complaint threads. But anyone whining about this saying they can't pve effectively anymore is lying, trolling or very, very bad. Good riddance to all of you.

Macheath
10.07.2012 , 01:24 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Thylbanus View Post
Really? All MMOs will be heading to the F2P format, it makes more economical sence. F2P is looked at as the last ditch effort of the failing. It's not. The reason why they are failing is that there are so many just like it. There are just too many games out there. The gamer population is only so big. Even if every gamer could support two games at $15 a month, that is still not enough to support all the games out there. It's wise to go to F2P. It is basically Drug Dealing: 101. Get the mark hooked on your product by giving it away for free or at low cost and then zing em with overpriced dime bags to make your real money. F2P is not a sign of weakness, it's just the future of online gaming. Eventually there will be tiered subscription plans. Plans to pay extra to keep out the "riff raff" that everyone hates so much about F2P populations. Basically setting up special instances for subscribers only or special queues that only subscribers can log onto.

It's time to admit that people just don't like change. It's OK to admit that people have become well trained sheep. Willing to shell out extra money to keep to an antiquated system. Companies and governments have been using this Jedi Mind Trick since the dawn of time. Like George Carlin said, "The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the [crap] out of the middle class. Keep 'em showin' up at them jobs." Same situation here. Those who can afford to pay will get the crap scared out of them by the "poor" F2P community so that they will be willing to shell out extra to keep them away. It's the same reason people shell out $250 for entrance into a club. It's not so the club makes money (sure it's a nice side effect), it's to keep out those who couldn't afford to throw away $250 to get into a club.

Funny how so many don't see this.
It'll be a sad day when the last MMO finally goes F2P. That will be the day the genre completely abandons it's core customers, the players who have been around for over a decade playing MMOGs. I don't play Rift anymore, but I have an ever growing respect for that game's development team, and their ongoing commitment to providing their players with tons of extra content in the form of planned world events, free of additional charge.

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Thylbanus
10.07.2012 , 05:02 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
It'll be a sad day when the last MMO finally goes F2P. That will be the day the genre completely abandons it's core customers, the players who have been around for over a decade playing MMOGs. I don't play Rift anymore, but I have an ever growing respect for that game's development team, and their ongoing commitment to providing their players with tons of extra content in the form of planned world events, free of additional charge.

-Macheath.
Thank you for illustrating my point. The "core gamers" are a dying breed. Like any declining population, you look to the "glory days" not realizing that they weren't that glorious. We got suckered into a pay-to-play format and then when obsolete, refused to let it go.

Let it go gracefully.

Don't hold on to something for fear of change. Sure we collect antiques for the memories, but who wants to go back and use a washing machine from 1862? Who doesn't have a family member that just refuses to give up some anachronistic piece of equipment because they are just so damned comfortable with it? I guarantee there is someone who still uses their old TRS-80. Every aging, declining population sees what they did as greater than the subsequent generation. We have writings from Ancient Greece that complain about how the younger generation doesn't respect their elders or have the commitment or work ethic they did. Sorry, but this hasn't changed in a millenia.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Qarran
10.07.2012 , 05:47 PM | #59
Ok.. back to the original post. First and foremost, nothing was taken away from Inqs. AOE has actually been improved for PVE. That's right improved. I ran into this today.

Blow back is now directional (not removed). This is a bonus because it allows for the use of AOE with out breaking CC. Ran a few HMs and had great runs because of it: CC elites, blew mobs off ledges and finished the elites. Easy peasy.

So... before you start talking about what they took away, maybe you should look at what was left behind. Change is not always a bad thing.

oakamp
10.07.2012 , 07:53 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by HarleysRule View Post
Most people on the PTS forums hated the changes to tanks in 1.3...BW doesn't care about feedback.
agree,
every patch make the game more broken,
especially 1.4 .
English is not my first language, still working on it.