Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gearing up for PvP in this game is really bad.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Gearing up for PvP in this game is really bad.

Remag_Div
10.08.2012 , 02:18 PM | #51
It's definitely not hard, it's just a huge time sink, but that's what MMO's are about. It's designed to keep you logging in every night. If everyone could get augmented War Hero within a week there would be even less players then there are now.

I think my only gripe with the current system is you're tied to your gear spec, so if you're a Tank spec with WH and want to switch to DPS, you effectively have to redo the entire grind.

That and brand new 50's have an awful time if they face premade WH groups. But once they get full BM then it's not as bad and luckily the grind for that is pretty quick, it's the WH stuff that takes forever.
Remag Div CE VIP
Council Member of ΦThe Collective

RazielHex
10.09.2012 , 06:15 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by xxIncubixx View Post
carebear? right... so you would pvp just for the sake of pvp? after 1 month u would be fed up or not even that, better play unreal tournament or something if you want that... Mr pro pvper 2012
Maybe he likes third-person perspective and more abilities than "shoot gun"?

Majspuffen
10.09.2012 , 06:43 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Stoofa View Post
Recruit 2 armour is free and certainly makes you competitive. You'll have full BM gear within a couple of weeks and know the crazy people at BW have made augmenting easier than stealing candy from a baby..who is asleep...and not actually holding the candy, you can have fully augmented BM gear within 3-4 weeks so long as you hit your dailes and weekly's.
How easy do you guys want it to be?
Recruit armor does certainly NOT make you competitive in any sense of the word. I literally three-shot a sage in recruit gear with my operative. I have full war hero, fully augmented. This is no exaggeration, it took me 3 GCDs and he was dead.

Augmenting isn't easy at all. First of all you'll need 14 augments. If you want to make them yourself, you need to craft 140 green items. If you've made all the augments yourself you need to apply them to your gear it will still cost you 420k credits (the recruit gear in 1.2 costed around 360k if I recall). That's the cost of applying the augments to your gear mind you, the augments themselves usually sell for around 60-80k on my server. You can of course make the augments yourself, but do you know how tedious that grind is? Sending companions out on slicing missions constantly in hopes for epics? Unless you settle for blue augments which will then put you at a disadvantage.

In BM gear, the set bonus is not tied to the armoring. What does this mean? This means that if you augment your BM gear, you will lose the augment slots when you trade them for war hero gear, which means you'll have to repeat this very expensive progress that's "easier than stealing candy from a baby."

No, the gearing in this game outright sucks. And for people that do not have a clear lack of vision, this makes pvp less enjoyable. Having the worst gear available is annoying because you won't be able to compete against people in full war hero. Having the best gear available is boring because people with recruit/BM, unaugmented, won't stand a chance against you unless your computer freezes, or if you're just extremely bad at the game.

To answer your question; how easy do I want it to be? Give out fully augmented war hero to everyone that wants to pvp and I'd be the happiest PvP out there. I have two characters decked in full war hero with epic augments, I have endured this ****** grind twice. It's not rewarding, it's a f***** necessity.
Lambaste!
Best talent in the Galaxy!

Minack
10.09.2012 , 07:14 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by xxIncubixx View Post
carebear? right... so you would pvp just for the sake of pvp? after 1 month u would be fed up or not even that, better play unreal tournament or something if you want that... Mr pro pvper 2012
Yes, I PvP for the sake of PvP - Just like I have in every MMO I've owned. Maybe you need a carrot to persuade you to queue up, but that doesn't mean everyone feels the same. The PvP in this game is pretty bad, but as long as my guild continues to play it, so will I.

xxIncubixx
10.12.2012 , 03:18 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Minack View Post
Yes, I PvP for the sake of PvP - Just like I have in every MMO I've owned. Maybe you need a carrot to persuade you to queue up, but that doesn't mean everyone feels the same. The PvP in this game is pretty bad, but as long as my guild continues to play it, so will I.
then its not an MMORPG, RPG envolves character progression.

Metalmac
10.12.2012 , 03:21 PM | #56
RULE: ANY GAME that becomes a time sink is less fun the longer you play.

RULE: FUN is when you win and repetition is at a minimum.

MidichIorian
10.12.2012 , 10:47 PM | #57
Stick to high-end PvE gear if you have any and stop worrying about the grind. I played seven games today with only 103 exp, for the sake of getting a WH relic for PvE (I would otherwise never spend time on the PoS that is PvP), and ended up top dps in four of them and 2nd in the other three. I had 329K in one game where the second best on my team only had 78K. Yeah it was bad but we still managed to win somehow. Loved the game where my team mates were bickering about my lack of expertise at the start. Post-game comes up and what do you know; 439K , 200K more than second best on team and 100K more than closest opponent. Far less deaths too.

GARhenus
10.13.2012 , 12:43 AM | #58
I don't have the talent, patience, or time to work hard for a PVP set

I dont want to lose to people who spent time grinding their gear coz it's unfair that (they can play more)

I want to be on equal footing against others even though I don't put effort in stuff

Coz that how games should be, everything should be handed free and easily.

I also wish there was an easy mode in swtor. And I level up per kill. Heck add experience everytime I sell items, craft, and discover new places... then make everything drop BIS gear and 1 million credits

AboB
10.13.2012 , 01:52 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Biggilus View Post
Sounds like a lot of players are just lazy with the "give me give me give me everythign i want to be on par with the peopel who spent months obtaining and modding and tailoring their gear but wahhhhh this guy beat me who put all this hard work in its not fair BW you suck im going to GW2".

Does make me chuckle.
Quote: Originally Posted by KeeferE View Post
Time is the issue for a lot of players including myself. After months of grinding for gear I only have a few pieces of WH. AS WITH EVERYTHING IN LIFE THE ONES THAT HAVE THE TIME TO SPEND ON SOMETHING WILL ALWAYS BE AHEAD OF THOSE WHO HAVE LIMITED TIME.. Just a fact of life.... Not a big deal for me I just keep grinding and get what I can when I can.... I just enjoy the game and always have a blast when I get to play... Yes I wish I could get gear faster so I can do better in PvP, but it is what it is and you should not be QQing about getting gear if you , like myself, have limited time... That is all.....
Quote: Originally Posted by GARhenus View Post
I don't have the talent, patience, or time to work hard for a PVP set

I dont want to lose to people who spent time grinding their gear coz it's unfair that (they can play more)

I want to be on equal footing against others even though I don't put effort in stuff

Coz that how games should be, everything should be handed free and easily.

I also wish there was an easy mode in swtor. And I level up per kill. Heck add experience everytime I sell items, craft, and discover new places... then make everything drop BIS gear and 1 million credits
Yes, the grind takes time. Yes, it's forced non-content. One more thing needs to be mentioned here: these conventions exist in most MMOs, also in many other games (mainly RPGs) like old school Final Fantasy, Pokemon, etc. Also, Farmville. To suggest that these things are universally hated concepts that are neigh untolerable would be ridiculous . Furthermore, if all content was accessible to any an all comers, there wouldn't be any really unique characters. Some things to think about.

WaywardOne
10.14.2012 , 01:15 AM | #60
With nothing but the new recruit gear and two wh sabers, I jumped into pvp on POT5 a couple of weeks ago. It was a little rougher for me because I was getting used to a new spec at the time (focus). But I was getting in the top half of dmg in every match and hit #1 in one of the games that day. You just have to get used to a faster paced game that is less forgiving of mistakes than most others. Gear isn't the only component for success - I had no problem soloing several different, better geared marauders that day. I've found that most of the people complaining are just making excuses - they don't do much better when they get the gear (if they get the gear).