Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gearing up for PvP in this game is really bad.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Gearing up for PvP in this game is really bad.

xxIncubixx
10.08.2012 , 09:00 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Minack View Post
Maybe for a carebear like you.
carebear? right... so you would pvp just for the sake of pvp? after 1 month u would be fed up or not even that, better play unreal tournament or something if you want that... Mr pro pvper 2012

Atramar
10.08.2012 , 09:35 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by xxIncubixx View Post
carebear? right... so you would pvp just for the sake of pvp? after 1 month u would be fed up or not even that, better play unreal tournament or something if you want that... Mr pro pvper 2012
Thought in UT you had to go and collect your weapons after each death? or was that old school grind in 2001?
and that gear grind in counter strike. only true pvp was mobile forces
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

SgtBranham
10.08.2012 , 10:07 AM | #43
I think the problem with the gear in this game is that it creates a barrier to entry for new players/characters. I did the RNG boxes back in the day and ended up full BM before the change was made. I have grinded out 3 sets of min/max'ed WH Gear across 2 characters. I hear people say that recruit gear makes you competitive but that is far from true. Here is an example from my new sniper. In full recruit gear he sits at just under 15k hp. A fully augmented min/maxed Jug can smash him for 7k. That's ~50% of his life. The follow up force scream is usually 3-6k. in 2 global cooldowns, he is reduced to 30% or less of his hitpoints. The same moves landed on a full WH player would take away around 5k for smash and 2 or 4k for the scream if it crits. The difference is the additional 5k hitpoints that wh + augments add. Tthis means that they lost, at most, 40-45% of their hitpoints.

I am all for their being rewards for playing more, winning, etc, but when it creates an environment where people quit instead of trying to "gear up" , it needs to be reevaluated.

1. I say get rid of expertise. Its a silly stat and makes the formula more complicated than it needs to be.
2. If gear must be a reward then rebalance PVP and PVE gear to be similar. Let them keep their unique looks. Create more teirs of PVP gear to compensate and tie them to valor level. Make it where someone who pve's all the time be able to drop into a warzone and be competitive. Who cares if you get some "cross over" due to someone getting gear from PVE and then doing PVP or vice-versa. Either way, they still put time into the game so let them enjoy every aspect of said game.
3. Give some cosmetic/convience perks to PVP'ing. Add some adaptive armor or unique weapons that can only be purchaed when valor is a certain level. Let us buy some neat items too as we valor up. Speed buffs, teleports, and what not.
4. Make it to where we can afford to play the aspect of the game we want to play. I think if a player wants to only pvp, he shouldn't have to do dailies, or pay auction house PVP to be able to afford ripping out mods, respec'ing and what not. Doing these things should speed up the process, no question, but throw us a bone.

Ancaglon
10.08.2012 , 10:53 AM | #44
I have a lot of sympathy for your viewpoint, but, Expertise exists purely so that PVE gear isn't required for PVP, and PVP gear isn't used to replace PVE. (PVP weapons are still the easiest ways to get a top-end barrel or hilt, even accounting for the "wasted" expertise, but that is more due to the fact that BW have made weapons too rare, basically by 1 rank -- a raid that generally drops Columi gear should not drop a Tionese weapon, and so on). Scrapping Expertise would damage both PVE and PVP.

However, the disparity in survivability between a fully augmented war hero and a new player in recruit-2 is just far too wide, and will be sure to put off any new players trying PVP for the first time. (New characters of a player with an experienced PVP character will already expect the brutal near-instakills and will just grind on through). This has been acknowledged by the Developers in a post on the main site -- they talked in terms of adjusting the difference via a level 50 Bolster, but clearly this isn't live in 1.4. The question is whether such a thing will be in place to prevent the killing-off the any possible enjoyment new players get from level 50 PVP.

Vikassi
10.08.2012 , 12:45 PM | #45
If you can't take the pvp gear "grind", then MMO's aren't for you my son .. To be honest, this is one of the easiest grinds I have ever took part in ...

You sir, are a lackey!

manchusabre
10.08.2012 , 01:08 PM | #46
Yeah it's bad and not fun. BM doesn't take too long but WH feels more like a job than fun.

SgtBranham
10.08.2012 , 01:30 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Vikassi View Post
If you can't take the pvp gear "grind", then MMO's aren't for you my son .. To be honest, this is one of the easiest grinds I have ever took part in ...

You sir, are a lackey!
Grinding for gear i dont care about. But when it is at the point where you have to do something for a week that is not fun and is very frustrating just to get to the point where you can be on the lower cusp of being competitive is where the problem is.

You don't bowl against your uncle that used to be a pro because there isn't any fun in getting smashed. Actually having a chance to win is where the fun is. Not spending half a warzone in time out or running from time out back to the action.

As i have said, i have two WH geared characters, one valor 97 and the other 89. I have put alot of time into this game and getting my gear. I would not have a problem at all if characters were given a free set of war hero instead of recruit. Just as long as it looked butt ugly.

My point is, new/average skill players are still going to lose to those with more skill in equal/similar gear. I would just like it to be more fun for them. i would like to see them keep trying instead of stop playing. Lets face it, you see someone in full recruit gear on your team and you look at it as pretty much being a 7vs8 situation. Have more than one and the majority of warzones end early due people quitting and re-queuing.

cycao
10.08.2012 , 01:31 PM | #48
I say we go back to the RNG system where you could literally go weeks without getting a single piece of gear...WHO'S WITH ME!!!!

Anishor
10.08.2012 , 01:38 PM | #49
Two wrongs do not make a right. Both systems are honestly bad, but I myself prefer horizontal progression over vertical. I think it allows for designing around /FUN/. Content that's worth doing over not to grind but because it's fun and people enjoy it.
Penumbral, Jung Ma server
Sranishor ( Vengeance *main* ) Sran'ishor ( Marauder *alt* )
PVP Officer
"My passion and the force shows me more than your eyes ever could."

Monterone
10.08.2012 , 01:43 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Ycoga View Post
At least we got loads of free WZ medpacks and adrenals back then.
Yep, gambling was waaaaaay more fun than this. At least you could get everything in a month or two even with bad luck. Now it's months and months and then you have one set for one spec on one character and 4 months wasted.
Sominette . Saminette
Pot5 > Harbinger