Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My computer just showed me something that made my jaw drop...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
My computer just showed me something that made my jaw drop...

Dr-Gaius
10.05.2012 , 08:30 AM | #11
Same issue here, ever since 1.4 I drop every hour or two, loading screens seen to be the biggest culprit... As a healer I can't even make the commitment of healing a raid without the likelihood of dropping at some point in the raid.

So I get a new raid and essentially can't play it...

And to the comments above on gw2, works perfect on my semi old system and the www zones with 100+ people in a zone creates no lag at all. My first thought is why couldn't Ilum have run 1/2 this smooth?!

I'm a diehard too but if this doesn't get fixed I can't resub!

Thylbanus
10.05.2012 , 08:32 AM | #12
Hey, Redat! It still makes me chuckle that you made my response your signature. lol. As you can tell, I hate when others who do my job, mess up so badly. It gives us all a bad name. I would have backed off after my initial post, but people just kept trolling me. That is why I had to reveal I knew more about customer service than I let on. I pretty much shut down the whole thing after my last post, since it is also the last post on that thread.

To your point: They had very little understanding of the Hero engine to begin with and then modded it so much that the designers of the Hero engine don't even recognize it anymore. Then they either fired or chased away those who did all the coding and are now left with no one that can work it properly.

This also reveals that the higher ups in EA are not familiar with the field they work in. By that I mean that they are not previous code monkeys themselves. Gaming isn't new, but from a business standpoint it is still a new field. Really, is there any industry that is not an offshoot of another industry that is as new? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure you could count them all on one hand. So the teachers are mixing old school practices with this new field and getting it wrong. They don't really grasp the effect the internet has had on the world. Rapid communitcation means that more people communicate more information than they had previously done before. This means that the grapevine is fast enough to make the Kessel run in less than 10 parsecs. With social media and networking, the success or failure can happen in a NY minute. A midnight showing of a new movie on the east coast can be read instantly by those who still have 3 hrs to go on the west coast. This will color the opinions of those who want to go see it. Phone companies even make fun of this phenomenon in their commercials (That is SOO 2 seconds ago).

On the same token, this can also mean as rapid a turnaround, but that remains in EA's court. They don't believe that they will succeed, so they don't even try. Like they say, a man conviced he will die today, will usually find a way to make it happen. EA is finding that way. It is going to take a person of vision to pull this game up by it's bootstraps and make a turnaround. Turbine showed that it was possible. They pioneered much of the current successful F2P practices. Yet they are so rarely copied. Rather, they are frowned upon and use F2P stratagies that are successful in other parts of the world, but have repeatedly shown not to work here in America. Culture still isn't taken into account, regardless of industry. When it comes to great ideas, steal shamelessly (as long as it isn't a copywrite violation ). Before implementing you must ask, how can we innovate? Using a successful old idea is ok, but it is still an OLD idea. Calling back to the FTL grapevine, that was sooo 2 seconds ago. People want innovation, but most couldn't tell you what that is. Sourcing the customer should give you a framework, but a visionary will have to take it to the next step. Frankly, I don't see any visionaries within EA.

Until their communications model is changed, I don't see a turnaround in the future. Telling people "Maybe" is OK. We can handle it. I and many others have posted this before. Stop worrying about doing something wrong! If you do, you will end up doing nothing at all. Most of us would rather have broken commitments than no communication at all.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Thylbanus
10.06.2012 , 03:07 PM | #13
(and dreaming...)

Also, I've been fiddling around with that now that I know where it is and I find that there is a view details.. So I did. There were a variety of reasons for the "Stopped repsonding", but most of them were "AppHang B1." After the 1.4, all the "Stopped working" were only "APPCRASH: MemoryMan.dll." I assume this means that it is a Memory Management dynamic link library. Could any of you tech savy people let me know if this confirms the memory leak?
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Devilk
10.06.2012 , 03:16 PM | #14
This baffles my mind. Before 1.4, my game never stopped responding. Since 1.4, it has stopped responding 3 times, out of about 6-8 hours a day playing, usually when I leave my ship.

Neoforcer
10.06.2012 , 03:52 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Devilk View Post
This baffles my mind. Before 1.4, my game never stopped responding. Since 1.4, it has stopped responding 3 times, out of about 6-8 hours a day playing, usually when I leave my ship.
In the same boat before 1.4 rock solid game play pvp for hours. Pve for hours now i cant even sit on fleet with out the game crashing to desktop after it does the stop responding crap

darknessofsyth
10.06.2012 , 04:25 PM | #16
The bugs are beyond ridiculous. Bioware/EA needs to get cracking on these bugs and not worry about the content until the bugs are fixed. I can wait for new content. I am sick of my game crashing. I crashed 4 times today alone.
THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM WITH MY COMPUTER IT IS YOUR PATCH. NOT MY DIRECT X, NOT MY DRIVERS, NOT MY VIDEO CARD, NOTHING IN WINDOWS. I DIDNT HAVE THE PROBLEM TILL PATCH 1.4. FIX IT OR ELSE I QUIT!!!!

Thylbanus
10.08.2012 , 09:47 AM | #17
(and dreaming...)

I also wonder why the memory leak has not been on the Known Issues list?

Ruskaeth
10.09.2012 , 12:33 AM | #18
Crashing is a priority #1 for me. I could be described as a "hard core" player but the human mind is a myriad thing: Game crashing every so often seems to ruin the otherwise fun game for me. The actual crash isn't the issue, but actually knowing it's coming and noticing the performance stutter, slow down and *crash*. It's just disappointing and get's more annoying every single time. Soon, if we are not in the middle of a raid, I am just not gonna restart the game after a crash. I'd like to point out that I don't play other games. I just do "real life" instead.

In the end, continuous crashes result in playing less, caring less, and in foreseeable future: I might actually bother to cancel the automatic monthly payment. Oh, not that soon, TfB is a lot of fun and I am still waiting to see the "new content every 6 weeks". I'd still like to not feel annoyed knowing the crash is behind the corner.

I wonder if one should post about it the "fix" to suggestion box. For an example, I pointed out a disparity in gearing between factions (since Rakata, Campaign and now Dread Guard, which they previously promised to "do right") and I was told to take it to the suggestion box. I don't view it as a bug but as a design flaw to be fixed. Many seemed to agree.

optimusnl
10.09.2012 , 03:04 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Fayrelle View Post
Yea unfortunately I went from hardly ever crashing to crashing at least 3 times a day when I play since 1.4 : / I even told a friend today as I was about to get off my ship "If I dc I'll be back in 5 min I've been crashing a lot since 1.4" and surprise surprise I did RIGHT when I exited my ship >.< Oh bioware...Dependable in all the wrong ways...
Il be happy if i did crash 3 times a day. I crash about 10 times day. I hope this game dies out quickly cause playing swtor right now is a like torment. I spend more time getting anoyed rebooting my pc.waiting. Im litterly sick of it

Thylbanus
10.09.2012 , 06:57 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruskaeth View Post
Crashing is a priority #1 for me. I could be described as a "hard core" player but the human mind is a myriad thing: Game crashing every so often seems to ruin the otherwise fun game for me. The actual crash isn't the issue, but actually knowing it's coming and noticing the performance stutter, slow down and *crash*. It's just disappointing and get's more annoying every single time. Soon, if we are not in the middle of a raid, I am just not gonna restart the game after a crash. I'd like to point out that I don't play other games. I just do "real life" instead.

In the end, continuous crashes result in playing less, caring less, and in foreseeable future: I might actually bother to cancel the automatic monthly payment. Oh, not that soon, TfB is a lot of fun and I am still waiting to see the "new content every 6 weeks". I'd still like to not feel annoyed knowing the crash is behind the corner.

I wonder if one should post about it the "fix" to suggestion box. For an example, I pointed out a disparity in gearing between factions (since Rakata, Campaign and now Dread Guard, which they previously promised to "do right") and I was told to take it to the suggestion box. I don't view it as a bug but as a design flaw to be fixed. Many seemed to agree.
Quote: Originally Posted by optimusnl View Post
Il be happy if i did crash 3 times a day. I crash about 10 times day. I hope this game dies out quickly cause playing swtor right now is a like torment. I spend more time getting anoyed rebooting my pc.waiting. Im litterly sick of it
Both of you give two very good point. Ruskaeth, it's true that it isn't so much the crash anymore, but the trepedation at playing the game. Can I join this WZ and not crash? Can I help my guildmate with this flashpoint and not leave him/her high and dry at somepoint. Can I pug this misssion or am I going to get the boot if I DC too long. It is horrible the feelings I feel when playing a game. It builds up inside and makes me resentful and much like you, I end up doing more RL things that I've procrastenated on. Since the launch of 1.4 I have EA to thank for helping me clean out my closet (a 15' walkin that the ex-wife used for junk storage. She's a bit of a pack rat.), fixed my monitor, cleaned and steam-vacced my den, pulled the drapes and washed them (I'm a smoker and they can get yellow), flip my matress and buy new bed sheets, reorganize my filing cabinet, POSTING ON THE FORUMS ad nauseam, and a few other odds and ends.

It's horrible for me to hear people who love the game, wish it would fail so we could move on. Nothing is more telling than that.