Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is holding back SWTOR the most?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is holding back SWTOR the most?

Muesliac
10.05.2012 , 07:16 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by Ifrica View Post
I agree with you mate, just was playing devil's advocate hehehehee
tho on the puzzles i don't agree, me and my guildies were ttalking about it yesterday when we were doing the new op, wow doen't have a boss like operator or the ev puzzle, or even the droid in KP.
Im' not sure how you can see Ignis and Magmaw as a puzzle, it's not tank and spank mechanics, but they don't have actual puzzle elements to them.
Ignis' minions are invulnerable if you don't "puzzle-kill" them (kite them trough lava, then water ->boom).
Magmaw has a unique mechanic that let's you 'circumvent' much of the fight: If you chain him down, he takes insane damage for a short time. Again, chaining a boss down is pretty much unique to Magmaw.

But agreed, there are better examples for puzzle bosses in WoW: Take Karsh Steelbender, who is nigh invulnerable if you do not utilize a mechanic unique to the fight, and stack up those 'exposed to lava' debuffs on him. Or even Corla. If you don't take advantage of the beams and time them correctly, you can't win the fight.

I'm going by tvtropes' definition of a puzzle boss here: Impossible (or VERY hard) to defeat if you don't use some feature of the 'arena' to your advantage.
This is not my cow. It is a sheep with a pitchfork. Unfortunately, it goes quack.

Ifrica
10.05.2012 , 07:20 AM | #112
tbh those are game mechanics, if you count those things as 'puzzles', then every boss is a puzzle boss
Mirobi Snowdrifter - Sage \\ // Pulian Snowdrifter - Sorcerer
System : AMD Phenom II 955 - 16GB DDR3 (1600) - Radeon HD7950 - Samsung SSD

Muesliac
10.05.2012 , 07:28 AM | #113
tbh those are game mechanics, if you count those things as 'puzzles', then every boss is a puzzle boss

These are game mechanics unique to those fights. Which means they are not really game mechanics, but rather 'fight mechanics'. Which makes them pretty much puzzle mechanics in my book (and TvTropes' book). But of course, your opinion may differ.
This is not my cow. It is a sheep with a pitchfork. Unfortunately, it goes quack.

Slowpokeking
10.05.2012 , 12:07 PM | #114
if they copied wow style, we wouldn't have puzzle bosses, and we would have auto attack, we would have flying mounts and there would be no pvp battles when leveling, and we would have pokemon battles. not even mentioning all the hand holding addons (i rly don't understand why people want those in swtor)
Well I'm not saying it's totally the same, but the overall endgame the combat system is pretty much the same.