Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What is holding back SWTOR the most?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is holding back SWTOR the most?

iheartnyc's Avatar


iheartnyc
10.04.2012 , 04:15 AM | #1
We can all pretty much identify the symptoms that are hurting this game. Slow development time compared to other MMOs, bugs, VERY slow to fix even minor bugs, slow to introduce new content compared to other MMOs, failure to optimize performance issues, etc. What are your thoughts on what's holding back SWTOR, and what are the biggest threats to this game?

1) Hero Engine - is this underlying platform so cumbersome that the pace of improvement of the game will never improve? Is it simply too expensive and take too much man-power to implement even the slightest content additions?

2) EA - according to several accounts, EA considers SWTOR a massive failure and has effectively put this game on the backburner and is silently letting the Bioware people in charge of SWTOR know that their future at the company is limited. Can they provide the resources (time, money, people) to turn this game around?

3) Wrong vision at Bioware - according to several accounts, Bioware envisioned this game to be more of a heavily-instanced, multiplayer RPG with MMO elements. Will this vision ever change?

At this point it seems apparent that we will not see any revolutionary changes to this game. The only changes that seem likely are additional content, bug fixes and slight optimizations. This would of course result in only reducing the rate at which current players leave, but will not result in a massive renewed interest in the game. What needs to change to turn this game around, and is it even possible?

discbox's Avatar


discbox
10.04.2012 , 04:18 AM | #2
It's: Hey player, we are BioWare, we created one way to quest this planet. Don't leave this way or we will punish you.

Kelleth's Avatar


Kelleth
10.04.2012 , 04:19 AM | #3
The same thing happened to WoW back in the day, everything can be turned around, it is just difficult to compete with a game(WoW) that has been around for this many years which has a lot of content in it.
When SWTOR get more Flashpoints, raids and warzones, quest areas, and a proper achievment system, I think the game will start moving forward again.
However, if EA does not put money into getting stuff like this done, I think the game will go Titanic.
I am a none-violent person, until I see a spider, then I turn into Al Capone, and I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! And I want his house BURNED TO THE GROUND!

Styxx's Avatar


Styxx
10.04.2012 , 04:19 AM | #4
Original idea. This game is, simply, an online washed out KoToR. Stripping the Star Wars theme you`re left with a sub-par MMO.

Because, at the end of the day, it doesn`t offer anything except roll alts and raiding.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
10.04.2012 , 04:23 AM | #5
3) in the sense that they haven't developed areas of the game they should have (RvR, less linear character development, more realistic living worlds, more customisation, less WoW).

2) in so far as EA seems to be doing what it did with WAR, slash the development staff/budget then wonder why the game can't develop fast enough to sort itself out.

1) it certainly has issues (especially in RvR and things like world bosses), and doesn't seem like an idea MMO engine choice, but I think it's 3) and 2) that are directly causing more ills to the game atm.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

turjake's Avatar


turjake
10.04.2012 , 04:28 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by iheartnyc View Post
We can all pretty much identify the symptoms that are hurting this game. Slow development time compared to other MMOs, bugs, VERY slow to fix even minor bugs, slow to introduce new content compared to other MMOs, failure to optimize performance issues, etc. What are your thoughts on what's holding back SWTOR, and what are the biggest threats to this game?

1) Hero Engine - is this underlying platform so cumbersome that the pace of improvement of the game will never improve? Is it simply too expensive and take too much man-power to implement even the slightest content additions?

2) EA - according to several accounts, EA considers SWTOR a massive failure and has effectively put this game on the backburner and is silently letting the Bioware people in charge of SWTOR know that their future at the company is limited. Can they provide the resources (time, money, people) to turn this game around?

3) Wrong vision at Bioware - according to several accounts, Bioware envisioned this game to be more of a heavily-instanced, multiplayer RPG with MMO elements. Will this vision ever change?

At this point it seems apparent that we will not see any revolutionary changes to this game. The only changes that seem likely are additional content, bug fixes and slight optimizations. This would of course result in only reducing the rate at which current players leave, but will not result in a massive renewed interest in the game. What needs to change to turn this game around, and is it even possible?
We can ofcourse all identify the problem areas. Problem is that most people identifying the problems dont have any clue whatsoever what is actually a problem and what isnt.

1 - This old thing again. Whatever engine the game uses atm, is mostly Biowares doing, so are the problems and bug fixing. Sure it still needs optimizing and fixing but will you people stop whining about hero engine. What they are using is very far from Hero engine.

2 - I dont see EA considering SWTOR a massive failure as long as it brings more money than it spends. Currently they are even investing a bit more to implement F2P. They are very money oriented company so they would not do that if they did not believe in the game. Other than that, they can ofcourse ruin the game when they try to save a bit more...

3 - Not really wrong. Hindsight is usually easier than predicting future. On the other hand people still cannot agree what went wrong so changing the strong points of this game (story, instancing, story, space, story) would most likely kill the game totally.

anstalt's Avatar


anstalt
10.04.2012 , 04:29 AM | #7
Simply wrong vision for the game.

They wanted their MMO to be heavily story based. They achieved that goal, however Story is NOT replayable. All the replayable elements of this game (pvp, raiding, flashpoints, crafting, roleplaying, socialising, fluff hobbies etc) are all sub-par. So, people played the story, loved it, finished it, then got bored of the sub-par replayable bits and quit.


At the end of the day, if you are going to build a themepark MMO then you need a dedicated development team with a very quick workflow who can pump out new content very quickly because themeparks are not replayable. If you don't have such a dev team (or corporate mentality) then you need themepark elements so that the community can amuse itself whilst waiting for new content.
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

simplius's Avatar


simplius
10.04.2012 , 04:30 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by discbox View Post
It's: Hey player, we are BioWare, we created one way to quest this planet. Don't leave this way or we will punish you.
yea way too much on rails,,too little content,,quirky combat system

they can turn it around by adding "quick and dirty " content,,ie terminal missions

simplius's Avatar


simplius
10.04.2012 , 04:41 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by anstalt View Post
Simply wrong vision for the game.

They wanted their MMO to be heavily story based. They achieved that goal, however Story is NOT replayable. All the replayable elements of this game (pvp, raiding, flashpoints, crafting, roleplaying, socialising, fluff hobbies etc) are all sub-par. So, people played the story, loved it, finished it, then got bored of the sub-par replayable bits and quit.


At the end of the day, if you are going to build a themepark MMO then you need a dedicated development team with a very quick workflow who can pump out new content very quickly because themeparks are not replayable. If you don't have such a dev team (or corporate mentality) then you need themepark elements so that the community can amuse itself whilst waiting for new content.
i agree on most part , but themepark is the foundation of any big mmo
that is where u "hook" the player, and that is what wow did right, they had the biggest and fluffiest park
so when players got tired of endgame, they could roll an alt and really play a whole new world
any MMO dev have failed to realize that since then,,we all know the results

Yogol's Avatar


Yogol
10.04.2012 , 04:52 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by iheartnyc View Post
What needs to change to turn this game around, and is it even possible?
They need to fix bugs, enhance testing, fix bugs, add alternative ways to level, fix bugs, add end-game content for casual players and then fix even more bugs.

Ofcourse, it all starts with confessing that there ARE alot bugs. So, don't make a post where you only mention 11 bugs when there is a compiled list of 47 bugs. That is exactly the type of attitude that will stop any progress on this game.
Yogol. Rebel without a cause. Often without a clue too.
Founder of The Fruitfly Guild, the one-day-beta-guild for one-day-beta-characters.