Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A New MMO Comparison to SWTOR

simplius
10.03.2012 , 02:25 AM | #31
as for F2P conversion,,u just said how they will do it ,,the easiest,dirtiest, and most profitable way

unless , of course they bork that too

Lord_Ravenhurst
10.03.2012 , 02:35 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Larity View Post
TSW also has about 200k subs (and dropping) now and thinking about shutting down and funcom is also mentioning that they are done with MMOs.
TOR had similiar problems but neither TSW nor TOR are anywhere near "shutting down" therefore your post is
utter nonsense and hyperbole, in fact TSW is growing at breakneck speed at the moment, I donīt even get where all the people are coming from right now (probably the Steam midweek sale which is on right now). TOR will also have a huge influx of new players when F2P hits.

FC simply said the next MMO will be more systems driven and not a monster project in development for 7 years like TSW, they were mentioning the LEGO MMO they are working on.

FC is right now implementing major PvP improvements, Issue #4 and #5 are announced.

SWG fans will be happy too: From the eurogamer article:

"As for The Secret World, Bylos has his team working on PVP updates; he's listened to fans complain about clothes being "too ****ty" and how they want something "more demure"; he knows people want more stuff to do when not killing monsters; and he's looking into more faction interplay."

"Issue #3: The Cat God was released last week. Issue #4: Big Trouble in the Big Apple, out some time this month, brings the game's first raid to New York. It also adds a new auxiliary weapon and new missions, as well as The Albion theatre in London where players can put on theatrical plays for other players. There's a timer on stage and if you're interesting people can keep you on, but if you're boring they can boo you off. Issue #5 will have more new missions, as every Issue will, but the feature list still isn't complete yet. New weapons will be added on "a continuous basis", said Tornquist."

also:
"No it's not going free-to-play any time soon."

"We need to prove that this business model has not gone the way of the dinosaur."

"TSW is now profitable".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-any-time-soon

Anyway, yes there is a lot of things TOR could rip off from TSW, and it will need a lot more than just a new FP, WZ or OP every now and then with several months in between.

TOR -> missed to bring monthly updates -> went F2P
TSW -> regular monthly updates -> sub model works and is profitable

The BIG question for TOR and Bioware is now: Will they be able to stick to the 6-week update plan they promised? MMOs only work if you pump out regular new and exciting content with VARIETY, not just "more of the same".

Imagine BW would announce housing or space combat for premium subscribers:
I am willing to bet there would be at least 300.000-500.000 subs PLUS in an instant

Lord_Ravenhurst
10.03.2012 , 06:06 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by heechJunzi View Post
Not that I disagree SWTOR could do better on updates / listening to users...
But you know Bioware has development plans which they need to stick to, up to a certain point in time, all the community feedback is safely collected (I suppose) and will appear starting from.. dunno.. perhaps when F2P launches. I think 2013 will be the year where we see all or many of the community suggestions entering the game.

Just making a suggestion wonīt let a new feature appear in game, a month later. Rather half a year later, depending on the size of the suggested feature

Devlonir
10.03.2012 , 06:45 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
But you know Bioware has development plans which they need to stick to, up to a certain point in time, all the community feedback is safely collected (I suppose) and will appear starting from.. dunno.. perhaps when F2P launches. I think 2013 will be the year where we see all or many of the community suggestions entering the game.

Just making a suggestion wonīt let a new feature appear in game, a month later. Rather half a year later, depending on the size of the suggested feature
This, 1000 times this really.

People often do not realise the time it takes for a suggestion to be handled properly into a finished software product. A year, for a product as big as an MMO, is actually still very quick for community suggestions.

MMO's often don't start showing their true potential untill their 2nd year / first big expansion. Even the market example WoW was a shade of itself in vanilla and didn't start showing their direction untill TBC.

Great when someone points this out.
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman

Lord_Ravenhurst
10.03.2012 , 12:12 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Devlonir View Post
This, 1000 times this really.

People often do not realise the time it takes for a suggestion to be handled properly into a finished software product. A year, for a product as big as an MMO, is actually still very quick for community suggestions.

MMO's often don't start showing their true potential untill their 2nd year / first big expansion. Even the market example WoW was a shade of itself in vanilla and didn't start showing their direction untill TBC.

Great when someone points this out.
Oh thank you!
Well, the good thing is we are now approaching the 2nd year of TOR and we are entering a time frame where some of the "bigger suggestions" out of beta could actually start to slowly pour into the game.
Donīt know why but I keep looking for some surprising expansion announcement any day.
Would they really pass on the christmas shopping frenzy? I doubt it.. there is something cooking. I can almost smell it, and it smells different than F2P... although I might be hallucinating.

CommunitySupport
10.03.2012 , 12:18 PM | #36
Hello! We appreciate your feedback and suggestions to improve the game and player experience, but will be closing this thread, as it largely focuses on another game. We do appreciate your comments! Thank you for your understanding.