Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Still Stuttering after new patch 1.4.0b

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Still Stuttering after new patch 1.4.0b

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

veinman
10.11.2012 , 12:34 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
Greetings All,

Please see the following post where we acknowledge the performance issues with the game and that this is currently one of our highest priority items to work on: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5239140

In addition to the previously posted steps another thing that can improve performance in the interim period for nvidia users is to ensure that Ambient Occlusion is turned off. We have seen reports that this change can have a big performance impact.

We ask for your patience until performance is returned to pre-1.4 levels.
I guess EA/BW are not reading the posts that these fixes are not working.

I did notice that the EA stock prices have been tanking (even if they are up from the 52 week low). Perhaps they are trying to shed subscribers to get the stock prices to a place where someone will buy them out....EA SPORTS a Spike Lee Joint .

Fry says "FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT"
Utinni. :

Maatkara
10.11.2012 , 02:27 AM | #102
How ironic because I've been having customer service tell me to install Nvidia driver 296.10 because the game runs better with it...I'm seriously questioning their knowledge at this point. For the record, the older driver makes no difference because the game still crashes practically every 30 minutes.

CMoldas
10.11.2012 , 01:39 PM | #103
Thank you for posting Cerimon.

I was very concerned after reading the 10/10 known issues thread that the devs felt performance problems were fixed. It is certainly not the case.

As long as it is on the game developers radar, i'm confident it will be resolved. This game has such a good track record of no technical issues for me and I am disappointed at the current state of performance post 1.4.

No empty "unsub" threats here as long as I know it is being worked on.

Thank you again.
-Vakkus
- Prophecy of the Five

Thylbanus
10.11.2012 , 02:26 PM | #104
Greetings All,

Ambient occlusion is a feature that has been recently implemented and is enabled in the newest nvidia driver. This will have an impact on game performance. Please turn this feature off via the nvidia control panel to improve performance.

Any feedback on this is appreciated.
Tried that, stutter gets worse and fps drops to 2-6 (4.1).
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Skyzen
10.11.2012 , 03:26 PM | #105
For those who may be interested. I recently installed the Nvidia driver 306.97 and tested it on the 1.5 PTS. Ambient Occlusion is set to OFF and I was running in Fullscreen Windowed mode and Fullscreen (non-windowed).

The stuttering is still prevalent. In my perception it actually seemed worse, but it could just be that the 1.5 PTS doesn't have any new graphic updates/fixes.
Love your enemies.

Wartitans
10.11.2012 , 03:50 PM | #106
May not be helpful to a lot of you guys but its worth a shot....

I recently built a new system and had the same stuttering/frame skipping issues as the rest of you. I have 'fixed' the issue but I aren't fully sure of the exact reason so I will just state what I did in full. Please bear in mind I do not use SLI, I use a non overclocked EVGA GTX 480 but its always worth a try to see if stuff works

First of all I tried a stock repair from launcher, this fixed 3 files right after the last patch. The stuttering at this point was still there however it did notably lessen in specific areas, such as fleet. Tatooine and space combat however were still occasionally very jumpy.

After this I went back to nvidea control panel and reset everything back to factory defaults. This did help dramatically however again... there was still the odd stutter on Tatooine and space, plus once again some stuttering on fleet.

I then used auto detect GPU from nvideas driver website direct and performed a clean installation of my drivers, then changed nothing and did a complete file reinstallation (including removing all leftover registry information etc) and problem solved no stuttering full stop. This to me either says my drivers were just not working correctly with the game or 1.4 has done something incorrect with the files whilst patching which doesn't happen with a complete reinstallation.. possibly an error with registry?

Now I understand a complete reinstallation is bit of a joke for what one update caused but hey if it works its always worth a try if you have a decent provider.

In terms of SLI I would be curious to know, do you guys still stutter when you remove one of the cards and run on a singular card?

Redat
10.11.2012 , 05:18 PM | #107
May I suggest something to the CS people? STOP!!!! STOP trying to workaround the issue here, EA obviously messed up the game, its not this or that, YOU BORKED IT! having people mess about with their PC just to work around an issue is a very bad idea......do you see ford telling its customer to try different wheels/parts to get their cars to run.....no. FIX IT OR SHUT UP

Kyuuu
10.11.2012 , 05:29 PM | #108
Greetings All,

Ambient occlusion is a feature that has been recently implemented and is enabled in the newest nvidia driver. This will have an impact on game performance. Please turn this feature off via the nvidia control panel to improve performance.

Any feedback on this is appreciated.
For the last time, AO is not enabled by default with the new drivers nor has it ever been ENABLED on any game by DEFAULT, it is just compatible with the game now. AO has always been a feature that HAS to be ENABLED manually.

Any and all feedback given seem to fall on deft ears, Or ingored and hoped people forget, People dont forget why you think the sub to the game are dropping

GVitanza
10.11.2012 , 06:41 PM | #109
If it isn't fixed soon, I'm canceling my subscription until it is fixed, and getting a refund for Oct. Its ridiculous at this point..........thank you for your continued ignorance in this matter.
Dezomere - Sorcerer dps <I carry scrubs> POT5
Garius (unguilded) Jedi Covenant

CMoldas
10.15.2012 , 06:10 PM | #110
I'll tell you what seems to have worked for me. When the servers went down Friday 10/12 I updated to the very latest nVidia drivers that came out 10/10/12 I believe.

I did a custom-clean install option through the nVidia download package.

Once everything booted up I had to turn SLI on (Dual 570's). Within custom 3D settings I set cards to max. performance instead of adaptive & single display performance mode. Everything else I left to defaults.

In game I can now run full everything including shadows and nameplates without that stupid stuttering.

I believe there is still a performance hit since 1.4, but the game is very playable and generally smooth now.

I hope this helps!
-Vakkus
- Prophecy of the Five