Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Entrenched Snipers, any suggestions to counter?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
Entrenched Snipers, any suggestions to counter?

zoranporan
10.02.2012 , 06:34 AM | #1
Apart from Disruption, and Camo; pretty much screwed?
Sith Marauder | Helle | ToFN EU

Belly
10.02.2012 , 06:40 AM | #2
Snipers/Slingers are a pretty tough matchup for the Dual saber wielders regardless of spec, really. I would suggest breaking line of sight, force him to move or wait out entrench. Or perhaps position yourself against a wall, so his pulse charge doesn't knock you out of meele range, of course this isn't always possible. Unless he is just a bad player, you can do everything right and you still might not win.
Larcen 50(ish) Scoundrel Scrapper/Sawbones "They see me rollin...they hatin. They whining and sayin that I need some nerfin"
The Progenitor
And loads and loads of alts

zoranporan
10.02.2012 , 07:12 AM | #3
usally don't have problemes with any classes in wz moshpits. was thinking more of an 1v1 situation.

i ALLWAYS postion my self towards a knockback, even if there isnt a wall/block right behind i postion my self to lower the range of the knockback. not to mention that i rarely FC in on knockback classes.

can they be knocked back? im guessing its an controlling ability?
Sith Marauder | Helle | ToFN EU

Xerain
10.02.2012 , 07:45 AM | #4
line of sight them... Either A. you let the duration of their buffs wear off and then you get back on them or B. The get up and screw themselves and you get to charge if you're quick about it.

Sinsavz
10.02.2012 , 10:22 AM | #5
You can't use disruption on them when they're in cover, let alone entrenched.

Just wait it out if possible. Tbh it's not that different from regular cover from a marauders perspective, you just can't choke 'em. It's more effective against classes like operative/assassin who rely on stuns.

Prabhunath
10.02.2012 , 10:26 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by zoranporan View Post
Apart from Disruption, and Camo; pretty much screwed?
Yeah, from my experience, you don't really want to go one on one with a sniper if you are a marauder. Any good sniper worth his salt will be able to spot your twin sabers from afar, and kill you before you can get within striking distance.

Unless, of course, he's distracted and you can get the jump on him.
+ Sorc running out of Force while fighting Marauders? Bioware says L2HYTF...wonderful +
A day may come, when our courage fails, when we forsake our class, and break all bonds from it; when we fall to our knees and cower in fear, and we look up to you and see death as inevitable. But today is not that day. Today, we fight!

OwnzYou
10.03.2012 , 02:53 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Prabhunath View Post
Yeah, from my experience, you don't really want to go one on one with a sniper if you are a marauder. Any good sniper worth his salt will be able to spot your twin sabers from afar, and kill you before you can get within striking distance.

Unless, of course, he's distracted and you can get the jump on him.
This

It's pretty much advisable to just leave Gunslingers/Sniper alone and let the others deal with them. 1v1 you simply will NOT beat them unless they're a complete putz and don't know how to play their class. Especially when they pop that screen up that makes them immune to stuns for 15 seconds you're just SoL. The kicker is the skill is only on a 1 minute cooldown, so you can usually assume they'll have it up and ready for ya.

On a side note, on the off-day when I decide to mess around on my Gunslinger, I absolutely love picking fights with Marauders/Sentinels. They just can't beat me, heck especially now with the retarded resolve system. Can't be stunned, while in cover can't be interrupted, depending on spec they can have 2 knockbacks, leg shot is 15 seconds cooldown and handy immobilize to make sure they can't run away from an Aimed Shot (2.5 second charge time). The 1 saving grace for a Marauder going against a Sniper is that Obfuscate is GOLD. You see him charging up an Aimed Shot you just pop an Obfuscate and watch him miss ya

BobaStyx
10.03.2012 , 10:33 AM | #8
Couple of things:

1. Entrench is 20 secs long, not 15. Also, MM tree can spec so that it only has a 45 sec CD, so if you see the followthrough icon pop up after a snipe/ambush then you know he could have a shortened entrench cd.

2. Obfuscate is worthless against a lethality or engineering sniper since their attacks are tech attacks so beware, if you're green/have an annoying probe on you AND slowed obfuscate isn't going to do much.

3. Just like operatives, your ravage is going to be worthless against a decent sniper because we have evasion as well, so be prepared for the little green bubble the sec we see your channeled ability. It has a 1 min cd but i highly doubt with TTK that you will have the time to pop a second ravage in a fight with a sniper.

4. Finally, just send in a shadow/operative to blow us up, its much easier than blowing all your cd's just to MAYBE kill a sniper, or if you're on a window-licker pug group who just lets a sniper pick people off, then it might be worth your effort, but most likely you will die unless they are terrible.
Mawgwi - Mara - McGirth - Sniper - Mowri - Merc Heals - Azishess - Assassin - Mègatron - Jugg -

Altheran
10.03.2012 , 10:37 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by BobaStyx View Post
2. Obfuscate is worthless against a lethality or engineering sniper since their attacks are tech attacks so beware, if you're green/have an annoying probe on you AND slowed obfuscate isn't going to do much.
Obfuscate works very well on Lethality. Most of damage are Tech, but most of them procs on a ranged ability which is Cull. If Cull misses, they hardly do more damage than a MarksManship specced one under Obfuscate (You just have 2 DoTs on you instead of 1)

rob_y
10.03.2012 , 10:44 AM | #10
I love this thread. I don't even have a Sentinel or Marauder (not even level 1), but it's nice to see a thread where people suggest actual ways to counter something that's difficult for a class or even the best suggestion of all: try to avoid 1v1s against a class with a lot of counters for your class. So many other threads in this forum end up being requests for how Bioware should nerf the class that's causing the struggle (for instance, do not ever wander into a Commando or Merc thread). Yes, some classes are better than others, specifically in 1v1s - your choices are to complain about it or to try to learn how to deal with it.

So, good job, Marauders.
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five