Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

questions from a re-subscriber

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
questions from a re-subscriber

ishbindeinvater
10.02.2012 , 05:42 AM | #1
hello,

i played through the first few months and then some diablo 3, secret world, 1 week gw2 and finally found out that sw:tor isnt that of a bad game. far from perfect and a lot of flaws, but still one of the better games right now.

a lot of things changed and i need some guidance.

there were warzone and mercenary commendations, and you needed 1000 of each for a champion bag. and you could have only 1000 warzone commendations at once.

how is it now?

how do i progress gear now? what is recruit gear?

is there any good way to find out my dps or how much damage my abilities do? i am used to read through a combat log (chat) to see the damage numbers so i can evaluate the skills better, but there isnt such a function in game. its just for my own purpose and not for judging any other people.
ICH BIN DEIN VAAAATEERRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!

ahnog
10.02.2012 , 05:53 AM | #2
I can only answer one of your questions. Recruit gear is a new set of armor for beginning pvp.
Ahnog
Hokey religions can't replace a good blaster at your side

haliy
10.02.2012 , 06:23 AM | #3
Quote:
there were warzone and mercenary commendations, and you needed 1000 of each for a champion bag. and you could have only 1000 warzone commendations at once.
They removed mercenary commendations completely so we only have WZ coms. There is no champion bags anymore because the recruit gear (now with 1.4, it's recruit mk-2) that you referred to was replaced by these instead. Gear progression is: recruit > battlemasters > war hero / elite war hero. We also have team rated warzones 8V8 which can be qued for. You can have up to 2k WZ coms and not sure about the rated wz coms (haven't been able to cap those out. still trying to get my full set of wh)

Quote:
is there any good way to find out my dps or how much damage my abilities do? i am used to read through a combat log (chat) to see the damage numbers so i can evaluate the skills better, but there isnt such a function in game. its just for my own purpose and not for judging any other people.
As far as combat logs go, we do have those now. A lot of players use Mox parser which can be found here
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kája - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

ishbindeinvater
10.02.2012 , 09:48 AM | #4
thx

so what do i do with my wz commendations when i already have 1000 with lv 17? can i buy the later gear already or do i have to waste points?

Mirdthestrill
10.02.2012 , 09:53 AM | #5
You can buy at least the pre-fifty gear with your commendations, even if you can't use it, and store it on your ship or in your inventory. I've done it before when there was something I wanted and I knew that I would hit the appropriate level before I got back to the fleet again. Never tried it with fifty gear, but I think if you can access the vendor and have enough commendations, there's no reason why you couldn't buy it. But don't quote me on that.
I <3 alts!

haliy
10.02.2012 , 10:43 AM | #6
i know that you cant purchase the recruit, bm, or wh gear because you need to be level 50 to pick it up which is retarted. You can however pick up the level 20 and 40 gear before you reach those levels and stash them away. I did this with my IA. I just wish you could purchase the rwz coms pre 50 so by the time you hit 50, you could already pick up some wh.
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kája - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

ishbindeinvater
10.02.2012 , 10:50 AM | #7
so ranked wz comms are when you reach lv 50 and do ranked warzones, whatever that means?

and you say buy, can you also buy rwz cooms?

do i have to get recruit gear first or can i go battlemaster without recruit?

can i transfer expertise from this gear to any orange gear?

so many questions :-) .... and yes, where do i get white lightsabers? :-)

Joesixxpack
10.02.2012 , 11:10 AM | #8
so ranked wz comms are when you reach lv 50 and do ranked warzones, whatever that means?
> You get ranked warzone commendations in ranked warzones. You can also trade in regular warzone comms for them. Like it used to be with the mercenary comms. 3 regular comm for 1 ranked comm is the exchange rate. I usually don't have time for ranked matches and waiting so do pick up matches, and just do that comm trade. Ranked warzone matches are for organized, premade, groups to join. Regular matches are what you're already used to playing.

do i have to get recruit gear first or can i go battlemaster without recruit?
> Recruit gear is helpful when first starting 50 pvps since it has expertise stats, but some prefer to ignore that and use whatever gear they want. You can skip it though if you want and go straight to battlemaster.

can i transfer expertise from this gear to any orange gear?
> I haven't seen the new recruit gear, only used the MK1 sets, but they didn't have extractable mods.

so many questions :-) .... and yes, where do i get white lightsabers? :-)
> Hehe, those are even more rare these days. I can't link to a source, but am pretty sure I'd read that the devs took out the way we got those. So you'd have to buy one off someone, can't imagine what they'd charge if even selling.

About battlemaster and war hero gear if you haven't noticed this yet: To get most war hero gear pieces you need ranked warzone commendations *and* a piece of battlemaster gear to trade in for it. It's a specific piece of BM to trade for the WH, so while getting your BM gear make sure it'll be the right pieces to trade later for the WH pieces that you want.

mcrmorgan
10.02.2012 , 11:50 AM | #9
Another thing worthwhile doing is exchanging 3 WZ comms for 1 RWZ comm, If you find you're at the limit of WZ comms that is, It just helps when you can purchase the war hero implant/earpiece as soon as you hit level 50
UPLAX - Sith juggernaut MMorgan - Sage
EULC - Operative Morga'an - Sentinel
Marrak - Powertech Man-Killer - Commando
Mar-Kun - Assassin Mar'r - Gunslinger ToFN

ishbindeinvater
10.02.2012 , 12:01 PM | #10
thx for all those answers. so now i can relex and spend the points in lv 20 an 40 gear, otherwise i would have bought lv 50 gear.

too bad the looks of the lv 20 gear is mehh, especially the bright color. the red one looks quite ok.

but i would love to have a dark cloak, with a mask and pants :-) like those siths in the video