Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Psychological Reasons Behind Revan Fanboyism

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The Psychological Reasons Behind Revan Fanboyism

Gratulor
10.06.2012 , 06:46 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by SiXXXX View Post
I'm a Revan "fanboy" because I played through both KOTOR games 5-6 times at least. Grew attached to the character, the concept, and still remember how shocked I was the first time it was revealed who I was. Best RPG moment ever for me I'd say.

Anybody who played threw KOTOR before this MMO and loved it cannot deny that they love Revan. All the haters never played.
I played Kotor, both games multiple times, and I'm not a huge Revan fan. The story of the games aren't centralized on Revan himself if you think about it. It's about a band of heroes who go after an evil Sith Lord and stop him before he can ruin what's left of the galaxy with the Star Forge. Revan gets references throughout the storyline, but it's not until you figure out who you are that Revan gets a central stage. But the Kotor story is about the team out to save the galaxy, not just Revan.
"If you only look after your own hide, then you're not a man."

ZayneDraay
10.06.2012 , 09:55 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Brainiacblue View Post
I think this boils down to the simple fact that he is the hero that we created. The reason i was personally a little disappointed by the Revan in TOR (although not much - purple lightsabre + revan robes = epic) was because he was not the person that I created in Kotor and emphasised in Kotor II.

Because we, the fans, created the identity of Revan we will always be amazed by him.
The problem with people is that they shy away from change, which is why we all get butt-clenched whenever we see something that didn't go the same way we remember it. When I heard TOR came out, I immediatly knew that things that we thought were true about revan would change. I think people hate the changes made about revan in TOR is because everyone wanted to see him as this tragic war-hero, and since you chose everything about him in KOTOR, that makes it hurt all the more. As Yoda once said, "Teach yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."

P.S. My twin and I already guessed about revan being turned to the dark side by someone rather than "The horrors of war" two years before TOR came out.
"Those who know me by reputation say I am a creature of the cold darkness, a monster if you will. Now you too shall fear me." - Darth Crios, lord of icy wrath

annabethchase
10.06.2012 , 04:06 PM | #23
I don't like it when people make bold sweeping statements that some great majority of movie fans had a pre-conceived notion of why Vader was what he was. Maybe instead of expecting Lucas to match your fan-fiction, you could have enjoyed the story he created.
"Rossum Eponine" & assorted other characters