Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.4 Memory Leak and other Bugs, bad Performance

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
1.4 Memory Leak and other Bugs, bad Performance

retardNoob
10.01.2012 , 02:21 PM | #1
dear guys at bioware, ea or whereever, the patch you released is horrible. did you ever do beta testing?

i get a memory leak after a few hours of playing. also graphics are corrupted, like effects or taxis, for example. also, the games performance is partly horrible, like massive fps-drops and lags, etc.

go fix it asap.

please, ok?

masringo
10.01.2012 , 03:11 PM | #2
Nothing to add, except Bioware and EA will not bother with fix off this worst patch in history of MMO, as long we pay our subscription.

retardNoob
10.02.2012 , 04:18 PM | #3
well i could add, that the models / animations of monsters are bugged, when they are dying, or rather should be dead. instead of dying, the models freeze and stay.

sometimes lightsabers are not displayed or go missing, or they are not removed when you mount.

xorv
10.02.2012 , 05:10 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by retardNoob View Post
well i could add, that the models / animations of monsters are bugged, when they are dying, or rather should be dead. instead of dying, the models freeze and stay.

sometimes lightsabers are not displayed or go missing, or they are not removed when you mount.
I don't know about you-but even at launch it was even odds if killable target upon frag would properly lay deciest on the ground as aposed to standing in place- (for example)-still lootable (sometimes)
http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Electronic+Arts EA's rating
"Well considering how "beloved" EA is, surely TOR will achieve legendary status amongst gamers. Didn't kill wow, did one better, killed EA."
Originally from aeterno

malangus
10.02.2012 , 05:15 PM | #5
The memory leak has always been there, since release. Many people do not notice since they have 8 or 16 gig machines where is much more difficult to go out of resources.

Easy way to look how much memory the game consumes during your playtime. Fire up the Task Manager when game originally starts, and note the memory the game consumes at that point. Check again every hour. You'll notice that the game goes from 1.5 or 1.6 gig when game launches to like 3.5 gig in a couple of hours (4-5 hours, maybe less).

Since AFAIK the client is a 32-bit application, the game need to keep a memory profile under the 4 GB limit 32-bit addressing allows, and that do not count the memory footprint Windows need to run. That's why it crashes.

malangus
10.02.2012 , 05:22 PM | #6
I have 2 machines, one Intel CPU Core Duo Desktop with Radeon 6850HD and 4GB RAM with Win7-32, one AMD Llano APU laptop with internal Radeon 6520G and 6 GB RAM with Win7-64.

They both running ATI Catalyst 12.8, so driver is not the issue.

My laptop due to the larger memory, very rare a crash.
My desktop on the other hand, before 1.4 it crashed between 4-6 hours. During a period of 1.3 patches (don't remember exact revision) it survived for longer periods (8 hours +). But after 1.4, it crashes nearly on every planet loading. Crashes shows when switching from normal mode to cut-scenes (even staying on same planet).

retardNoob
10.02.2012 , 05:28 PM | #7
OMG! thats just horrible.

how can you, as such a big software firm, not fix a MEMORY LEAK in a mmorpg for nearly over a year!

seriously guys, you get so much money every month, do something for it!

im a new customer and was thinking about a permanent subscription, but if i read stuff like that - no thanks.

then i could also give a hobo my 13 and he will be happy.

malangus
10.02.2012 , 05:35 PM | #8
And this comment is to Bioware Developers/EA.

The game box has this information regarding requirements:

MINIMUM: CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2/Dual Core 4000+ or better / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better * OS: Windows XP with 1.5GB RAM or higher / Windows Vista/7 with 2GB RAM or higher ... * Video: ATI X1800 or better / NVIDIA 7800 or better / Intel 4100 or better / 256MB minimum video RAM / Shader 3.0 or better...

RECOMMENDED: CPU: AMD Phenom 2 X4 Quad Core 2.5GHz or better / Intel Core 2 Quad Processor 2.4 GHz or better * OS: WIndows 7 64bit SP1 with 4GB or higher * VIDEO: ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4850 or better / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 or better / 512 MB minimum video RAM / Shader 3.0 or better.

Did you actually tested that game on those minimum settings???? My desktop is a mix of minimum/recommended settings and with patch 1.4 is crashing every hour or so.

My system (the one crashing an hour or so since 1.4)
CPU: 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo (not quad, but in GHz in the recommended, so kind of a mix).
RAM: 4GB RAM (above both the bottom minimum and recommended minimum)
Video: ATI Radeon HD 6850 with 1 GB RAM /w Shader 4.0. Above recommended by a mile. Is not the top of the line, but until recently a nice mid card, and definitely is not crap.
OS: Windows 7 32-bit. No need to go 64-bit since system has 4GB, and 64-bit OS has a larger memory/disk footprint due to having both 64-bit and 32-bit libraries and components.

retardNoob
10.04.2012 , 07:49 PM | #9
the minimum requirements just wont work, because this game has a freaking memory leak

Slurmez
10.04.2012 , 07:54 PM | #10
1.4 was a disgusting screw up, they waste time on irrelevant nonsense like shadow optimization and make the game performance a joke even on high end machines.