Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companions 101: Kaliyo Djannis

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Companions 101: Kaliyo Djannis
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Izorii
10.02.2012 , 12:28 AM | #101
Guss Tuno is my favourite compaion. His funny and a coward which is a nice change of pace against all the brave heros and anti-heros.

AshlaBoga
10.02.2012 , 12:54 AM | #102
Out of curiosity, since
Spoiler
will you ever be making a 101 for her?
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

geekjosh
10.02.2012 , 02:23 AM | #103
Kaliyo is a very well crafted character. She's a character that is very unrelatable , which is what makes her very interesting. She has the dark and very less than glamorous past that shaped her into the selfish anarchist she is today. Its really the relationship with you that can start to see subtle changes in her behavior towards the end of the game.

Playing a lightside male Agent, I can say that romancing her takes some patience, another thing I believe a lot of people don't like. But I think it gives for great character interaction. I don't want a character that will blindly follow me and agree with everything I say, that's unoriginal writing and worst of all its boring. Kaliyo always manages to surprise me. She'll disagree with me on a lot of issues, but on more important issues, she'll be on my side. Always keeps me guessing, which consequently keeps me interested in her. Learning more about her past makes you empathize with her more. It gives you the knowledge to discern that while a lot of her actions are very questionable, you can understand how she became who she is today. You learn that she is a little screwed up, which isn't her fault, and it gives you more a drive to try to get closer to her and "fix" her. This is something that makes her romance very compelling. You want to be the good guy that saves her from her own actions and behaviors.

But by the time her romance starts really unfolding, for a lightside agent at least, you can really see how her time with the Agent will be slowly changing her course in life. She reminds me, as well as a lot of other players, of Jack from ME. Underneath all this exterior actions, mannerisms, and behaviors... is someone who does care about things other than herself and does yearn for affection. It's one reason why I hope they continue Companion stories at least for one more chapter, since we really didn't get any closure to their stories.

Anyways, I love Kaliyo but can definitely see how she does not appeal to a large portion of players. That doesn't mean she is poorly written, just that she isn't everyone's cup of tea. That's why they gave a nice variety in the companion characters. Everyone has at least 1 that they really like, if not more.

I love all the companions in the game (at least of the 5 classes I've played) and I believe they are all very skillfully written. But Kaliyo definitely holds a special place in my, and my Agent's, heart. She's very unique and always full of surprises.

But seriously, Good job Bioware on all the companions! I think the main problem people have with them, is that we want more time and interaction with them! We loved the character's so much, we don't want their stories to end. And I think that's a good problem to have, shows you that we love your work!

Savarin
10.02.2012 , 04:02 AM | #104
Good article, definitely do more. Vette, Lord Scourge, and Blizz would be my recomendations.

As for Kaliyo... IA was the first class I played in TOR, the one I chose when the game was first available. So to put it simply, I tend to see the TOR galaxy from the perspective of a ruthless Imperial loyalist/spy/assassin.

Kaliyo is very well written, she has a strong, realistic personality, and a long list of flaws and strengths, but oh did I hate her. Where my character is disciplined, loyal to the empire, and dedicated to his work, Kaliyo is a self-serving anarchist. Where my character is the soul of caution, she is care-free. I don't think my character and Kaliyo had a single thing in common, and she was constantly irritating me. It got to the point about a quarter of the way through my story where I realized that if I lost affection with Kaliyo, I was definitely doing it right.

She's a big credit to whoever wrote her, but I always wondered what she was doing on my ship and wished I could get rid of her somehow.

Grzesiuk
10.02.2012 , 06:04 AM | #105
I'd like to see Guss Tuno, he looks like an interesting character

_biddan_
10.02.2012 , 06:09 AM | #106
empire:vette
republic:kira carsen
The Red Eclipse

Caesar Legacy
Legacy lvl 50

Costello
10.02.2012 , 06:43 AM | #107
Nice write up.

But I could not stand her, right from the beginning I wanted to know why she was being forced on me and by the end. Well the end I would have shot her in the face, there was no way she was getting back on my ship. Of course I wanted the +10 presence and killing her wasn't an option.

GloriousMelody
10.02.2012 , 07:32 AM | #108
I rather enjoy (what few I have seen so far) (my agent was deleted and restarted) the interactions between my female agent and Kaliyo! Her all or nothing take on life is refreshing!

as for the republic companion, please consider Doc. I have yet to get far enough with my lady knight so it would be interesting to have an idea of what to expect.
A bit early but please make one about Andronikos!

ReverendAnderson
10.02.2012 , 07:54 AM | #109
You say fem fatale, I say thug.
I really like Kaliyo, and by that I mean I hated her and Keeper had to come up with an unlikely number of reasons why I couldn't kill her for being liability, danger to the mission, and all around loose end. That's why I liked her, she kept everything from running too smoothly and getting boring. But her relationship with my Agent could only ever end with her trying to double cross him and finding out he wasn't lying when he told her you don't walk out on Imperial Intelligence.
"That's two sound theories in one day, neither of which deal with abnormally sized men."

PlagaNerezza
10.02.2012 , 08:07 AM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Izorii View Post
Guss Tuno is my favourite compaion. His funny and a coward which is a nice change of pace against all the brave heros and anti-heros.
Gus pretty much tells you all you need to know.
The most interesting smuggler story should be Bowdaar. His companion story is pretty bland. If only we could get him a bowcaster or Ryyk Blades.

Theran Cedrax is funny.
Jaesa > Vette. Jaesa gets my murderous flanderous ways. Vette is a clinger.
T7 is a pimpbot
Khem Val is a rock star. He will eat your face off! Talos is funny but I swear I am going to wake up and find him in my characters bed. He's a creeper.
Judust Jax
7 days of free subscription! A free server transfer! + More Goodies!
New & Returning Players. Give a Click and Get a Click!
http://www.swtor.com/r/zTCMYK!