Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Where have the tanks gone?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Where have the tanks gone?

Rei_ayanami
10.10.2012 , 10:43 AM | #21
I have a lvl50 defense guardian, lvl 50 seer sage, lvl 50 cm commando and now working on my jedi shadow.
When I was tanking with a random group, I always tell the dps my way of doing hm fps, ie, you pull it, u tank it.
When I was healing with a random group, I also tell the dps that "u pull it, u tank it; I focus on keeping the tank and myself alive in the choas."
There is no emotion, there is peace;
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge;
There is no passion, there is serenity;
There is no death, there is only the FORCE.

Hambunctious
10.10.2012 , 05:08 PM | #22
Tanks are a lot of work, and have a lot of responsibility. I spent so much time doing nothing but tanking in lotro, warhammer, wow wotlk, and swg, that I'm not sure I want to do that anymore. Even though 4 of my characters now are tank specced right now.

Kothakk
10.10.2012 , 08:53 PM | #23
We ...erm I have gone Pyro. Dps is so much more rewarding to enjoy both aspects of this game, pve and pvp, with throwing away stupid amounts of cash on respecs. What do you mean? Cash is easy to get! Sure thing, unless you are respeccing 5 times a day and each time costs you 50k.

Thats one of the reasons I stopped tanking.

NRVNQSR
10.11.2012 , 08:05 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleet_Xia View Post
true story. Rolled a healer as my first toon. Had great fun running with a tight group of people. They transfered to a different server than I wanted to go to. I couldn't find a good tank for a while. I couldn't understand why good tanking seemed to be too hard for players. So...I rolled my own tank. Leveled all the way ot 50, did some Hard Modes. Aaaaanddd...

Half the stuff I was blaming on bad tanks was actually being caused by bad dps players... So I leveled a dps to 50... Yep, it was confirmed... bad DPSers are what wrecks it for both tanks and healers.

If you are doing any of the following....
1) constantly running ahead, because you already know this FP like a pro
2) making pulls intentionally, even if it's just trash
3) trying to be a ranged dps by shooting the boss in it's face from melee range
4) trying to be a melee dps by ignoring AoE boss attacks, or by face dpsing
5) trying to help the tank down an elite while there are strongs & weaks everywhere
6) constantly breaking cc, because you don't think it's needed
7) constantly running your ammo below 50%, when your resource conservation rotation will work better in most cases.
8) openning with the biggest burst rotation you can dish out - the one you use while doing solo dailies with a companion
9) not using your threat dump, cause you don't think it matters.
10) not using your interrupts, cause you don't think it matters.

....guess what... you are not an Uber 7331 DPS. It doesn't matter how good your gear is, or what content you've cleared. Because you've demonstrated that you don't play well as part of a team, or don't understand your roll as a part of that team. Almost all DPS underestimate the difficulty of playing dps, because they don't worry about NOT doing any of the above things. And as a consequence almost all of them do at least some of those things on a regular basis.

Your rotations can be sloppy joes loose, and if you don't do those things, your groups will still clear on level content. But even if your rotations are perfect, if you do the things on that list, you will contribute to full party wipes. Because you're messing up both the healer and the tank.

If either the tank or the healer ever order/ask/request/beg you to attack, ignore, or cc a specific target ~ THEY HAVE A REASON TO. If they have a disagreement about it ~ stay out of it.

If want to be an Uber DPS who has no trouble finding groups - you learn not to do ANY of the stuff on that list. I can guarantee you that if you do that, you will be on the friend lists of both tanks and healers, and you will get invites to groups on a regular basis.

Otherwise the geared tanks & healers will just 2 man Hardmodes with dps companions for the daily.....
this exactly. On my healer I've lost count of the number of times I've died because the dps all want to focus on the Elite the tank is holding, leaving 5-7 Normal/Strong mobs to murder me as I build healing threat. I Stealth to try to CC something and hey look, the idiot Sentinel has already pulled the group. I go for days at a time without completing my daily HM because of this kind of idiocy, and simple unwillingness to change their play style.

iDraxter
10.12.2012 , 07:10 PM | #25
there seems to be lots of low lvl tanks we get like 2 tank sper group in Hammer station and Athiss(frequently), actually in Athiss just last night i ran twice in a group of 3 tanks and 1 healer, as for the 50`s they probably (like me) log just for guild ops or they just go dps route for pvp alternatively lvling new toons, sooner or later we all kick the bucket at 50, this game was made for multiple toons just look at Legacy
Firebat: Wanna turn up the heat?
It`s your money-but if I have spent as much time killing Jedi instead of your own kind...you might be winning this war

Altheran
10.13.2012 , 03:38 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by iDraxter View Post
there seems to be lots of low lvl tanks we get like 2 tank sper group in Hammer station and Athiss(frequently), actually in Athiss just last night i ran twice in a group of 3 tanks and 1 healer, as for the 50`s they probably (like me) log just for guild ops or they just go dps route for pvp alternatively lvling new toons, sooner or later we all kick the bucket at 50, this game was made for multiple toons just look at Legacy
Normal, in these levels you can be DPS specced, and use tank stance with a shield and tank the whole content. I've personally done this with my Advance Prototype early specced Powertech in Hammer Station.

Obergoaschoitl
10.15.2012 , 05:06 AM | #27
Levelled a def Jugg till Lvl 50. Then i tried DPS treee and it was that much more fun.
DPS Jugg is a blast for me...tanking with my jugg isnt that bad but...i dont get the yay-feeling like i did in WoW with my Warrior.
So i try a Assa tank now..lvl 15 atm. Tried PT tank and didnt like it at all. Hope, assa will be MY tanking option. IŽd hate not to tank anymore :-/

OldRepJedi
10.17.2012 , 12:20 PM | #28
I actually switched my DPS Guardian to a tank. Loving it now. Plus, there always seems to be a shortage for FPs.

Dademoor
10.17.2012 , 01:33 PM | #29
I have been tanking since 1999 in EQ1, love it, and will never roll a DPS for more than the occasional *****s and giggles.

My wife plays a healer in all the games we play so it works out pretty well.

As far as stupid DPS'ers, we just put them on ignore, and boot them from the group. Once they are on ignore you will never be put into another random with them, lovely system. Generally we give them 2-3 chances .. everyone makes mistakes afterall. After the 2nd or 3rd time I will usually stop the group and address the problem, if they respond positivitly they can stay, if they start throwing out insults and playing the blame game, away they go!

After a few weeks of PUG'ing your ignore list will grow quite a bit, but you will slowly start weeding out the idiots.
Likely Outcomes of Owning a REAL Lightsaber
1% Save the galaxy 2% Sell it to the highest bidder
7% Become a ruthless murderer
90% Immediate. Accidental Self-Dismemberment

IrishTR
10.17.2012 , 01:39 PM | #30
On strike from PUG tanking/healing... Too many bad DPS/Healers/Tanks depending on whats being played... But mostly DPS since thats the overwhelming numbers.

That and at least on our server seems no one else is interested in learning a new skill carrying their weight imo I have 12 toons all various classes to fulfill the roles, learn abilities etc etc. The one that drove me off the deep end was too many comments of "I wont Heal or I wont Tank ever" Great neither will I then except for close guildmates and friends I know.