Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My thoughts on the Space Combat issues.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
My thoughts on the Space Combat issues.

09.29.2012 , 08:48 PM | #1
I've been trying to figure out how to minimize the issues with Space Combat post-patch, and I suspect the issue is not entirely graphics-renderer related. I suspect that the game is somehow trying to use more channels than are available to it, resulting in missing/muffled/distorted sounds, and possibly causing the reported memory leak and stuttering/corrupted graphics effects as a side effect (or maybe it's the other way around.) In any other game I'd adjust the number of channels in the audio settings, but there is no such option in The Old Republic.

All I know is that I have seen similar problems in other games over my long career of game-playing, and adjusting the channels upwards often fixed it. Is there a manual way to adjust an ini file or something to do this? Not much of a tech-guy, and I hesitate to fiddle with game files myself, especially when it may be against the rules/considered hacking.

Just my impression, and I could be way off-base. And I didn't see anything like this in any other threads I glanced through.

(I am using a GTX550ti, and am using the recommended nVidia drivers. And yes, everything was fine pre-patch.)

Edit: I tried running the game with no sound, and it appeared to clear up the issues in Space Combat. My engine glow and laser blasts never disappeared, there were no random beams of light, and the stuttering seemed to be gone. However it was almost not playable without the score and sound effects.