Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I tried every name I can think of, the renaming process is impossible

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
I tried every name I can think of, the renaming process is impossible

RaithHarth
09.29.2012 , 07:02 PM | #1
common, unique, unheard of...I keep getting the same outcome "name isn't available" there is a real problem with the naming policy that needs to be addressed, I spent hours trying to come up with a name I can be happy with, by trying to come up with different variants of those names without any success.
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!

LaniAkavir
09.29.2012 , 07:06 PM | #2
They should've made first names being repeatable while surnames are unique server-wise.
Combat Medic since Summer 2011

Kenji
The Medic's Legacy

RaithHarth
09.29.2012 , 07:11 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by LaniAkavir View Post
They should've made first names being repeatable while surnames are unique server-wise.
surnames are much easier to rename than actual names, since they are much harder to come by, but the thing is bioware should of taken the same approach as "Pirates of the Burning Sea" in the naming process, for those that played that MMO will know where I am coming from and could easily relate.

AubinMagnus
09.29.2012 , 07:21 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
surnames are much easier to rename than actual names, since they are much harder to come by, but the thing is bioware should of taken the same approach as "Pirates of the Burning Sea" in the naming process, for those that played that MMO will know where I am coming from and could easily relate.
Easy process, for me: go to babynamesbox.com (or something similar), find a name relating to a quality of your character that you like, and use that. Select it from a foreign language, and voila. I use the name Aubin, for instance, which is Latin. I have things like Dera, Fadeyushka, Dai, Becan, etc. That's the easiest solution I know.

Or, like Arelethraen, I took the naming convention of LotRO and just smashed a bunch of prefixes and suffixes together.
SWTOR needs Russian Unicorns or I won't play!
Remember, reading the available information will make you NOT seem to be asking a silly question.

RaithHarth
09.29.2012 , 07:44 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by AubinMagnus View Post
Easy process, for me: go to babynamesbox.com (or something similar), find a name relating to a quality of your character that you like, and use that. Select it from a foreign language, and voila. I use the name Aubin, for instance, which is Latin. I have things like Dera, Fadeyushka, Dai, Becan, etc. That's the easiest solution I know.

Or, like Arelethraen, I took the naming convention of LotRO and just smashed a bunch of prefixes and suffixes together.
pretty much done all that, I used every naming generator and baby naming site I can think of, I've been at this for hours and nothing has come in my favor for renaming my character to my liking, even all the variants have been taken as well.

Bioware should just do a server reset for all the inactive user's that have unsubscribed!

jsmartFourSeven
09.29.2012 , 07:59 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AubinMagnus View Post

I was lucky and only had to rename one character - oddly enough it was a word in a foreign language. I tried likely about 50 names before I finally got one. I tried bit actors from number shows, minor characters from various mythologies, foreign words from 3 different languages. My last two had single quotes in the middle - and I went through about 5 of those before I got one.

I am sure I could have a higher ratio with some smashed words, but I like names people can type without having to remember the bad spelling or using a lookup chart.

SiXXXX
09.29.2012 , 08:18 PM | #7
Use alt symbols in place of regular letters. Works for me

Ex: Instead of the name Oradu go Orad --> alt+129 = Oradü
Bergeren Colony Liiara Överkill Cassüs

The Harbinger Nyhilüss Jay-Fett Thräsher

Skylerr
09.29.2012 , 08:27 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
The techniques used in most other games (adding @account, or making only surnames unique) don't always work well in games with well established IP. You end up with a bazillion of X names and then just as many people complain about that issue instead. Lose/Lose from Bioware's perspective.

I created 2 new characters today without issue (sure, the first few were taken but I found good ones eventually).
(▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ΞSKYLERR()█Ξ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

RaithHarth
09.29.2012 , 08:32 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Skylerr View Post
The techniques used in most other games (adding @account, or making only surnames unique) don't always work well in games with well established IP. You end up with a bazillion of X names and then just as many people complain about that issue instead. Lose/Lose from Bioware's perspective.

I created 2 new characters today without issue (sure, the first few were taken but I found good ones eventually).
In "Pirates of the Burning Sea" as much as the game was a mess, there naming policy was not, you could go under the name Barrett Smith, while another player went by Jack Smith or Barrett Bishop, just as long as players weren't completely identical they could use different variants of those names and make them there own, that's the kind of route Bioware should of taken instead of the one they are using now.

RaithHarth
09.29.2012 , 08:34 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SiXXXX View Post
Use alt symbols in place of regular letters. Works for me

Ex: Instead of the name Oradu go Orad --> alt+129 = Oradü
sorry but using alt symbols and cheats is not my way of handling things