Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are sin tanks still unstable?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Are sin tanks still unstable?

Darth_Bond
09.29.2012 , 02:36 PM | #1
Squishier/spikier health and more unstable than other tanks? (powertech/juggs?) Im thinking of making a tank, i dont want to make a jugg because my guild and server are full of them(plus iv already done SW story on my marauder) I dont want to make a powertech tank because i already have a 50 vanguard tank on pub side, so that leaves sin tanks, there arent that many of them and iv never done the story, but from my experience as a healer and through word of mouth from other players, it seems Sin tanks are squishier, have spikier health and less stable than the other tanks, is there some truth to this urban myth? And if so, how much more unstable are they? Would they make it difficult for progression guilds to do HM TFB?
Story is so important i sold starwars to disney and asked jj abrams to direct the new star wars film....and that is why we cant have faction change!

KeyboardNinja
09.29.2012 , 05:16 PM | #2
As a shadow tank in a group that has all the hard mode content (except TFB) on farm and is currently progressing on that last op, I can say definitively that the answer to your question is "No". Assassin tanks are outstanding in progression.

The trick is that assassin tanks are incredibly *difficult* to play in a progression setting. You have a lot of different things that you have to balance and watch out for. You have an immensely complex priority queue that is conditional on things like position, boss damage types and boss swing timers. When you mess up, you don't just lose threat, you lose health. A lot.

Some general characteristics to be aware of. Shadows/assassins are the *spikiest* of the tanks, though not by an enormous margin. Part of the compensation for this is shadows/assassins do have the highest theoretical survivability (mitigation + self-heal) of all three tanks. This is especially pronounced in the newer content (EC and TFB), where bosses are mechanically difficult but not heavy-hitting. Shadows/assassins also have the highest threat ceiling of all three tanks (by FAR), as well as the highest DPS. Finally, shadow/assassin cooldowns are very, very strong. They're less valuable in progression, when you haven't yet internalized damage types and swing timers, but once you get a feel for a boss, they have the strongest utility cooldowns in the game.

The reason shadows/assassins have such a poor reputation is they are generally played badly. Honestly, when I'm on my healer, I cringe when I see one pop up in Group Finder. However, if you can play your assassin at a high level, you will not be disappointed with the results (nor will your healers).
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

kirorx
09.30.2012 , 06:34 AM | #3
I hear alot of people talk bad about the assassin/shadows, but its all because they only see the light armor thing and they are just misinformed.

My assassin is awesome for PvE, probally better than even my SW, i have alot less trouble holding aggro with him, though occassionally you get a few spike of damage more, i still get some self healing though and that pays off.

They are pretty good and offer a lot of versatility that other tanks dont offer.

Svii
10.01.2012 , 05:14 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
The reason shadows/assassins have such a poor reputation is they are generally played badly. Honestly, when I'm on my healer, I cringe when I see one pop up in Group Finder. However, if you can play your assassin at a high level, you will not be disappointed with the results (nor will your healers).
Indeed, lately I've noticed healers not accepting Lost Island HM when I'm on my Assassin tank. Too bad, they're really awesome when played correctly. Also the healer that finally accepted was treated to his fastest wipe free run of his career, I'm sure of it!

JediMasterSarynn
10.02.2012 , 12:38 PM | #5
As someone who has played all three tanks I love my Shadow the most. When you finally understand how to play it at a high level there isn't another tank class that comes close.
The Sunrider Legacy | Deiryn | Deiryl | Zadiel | Varinne
Aethereal on Harbinger - A PvE/PvP/Conquest/Social Guild - Visit Us and Join Now!