Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

I really love Telekenetic Sage, but I just don't know if it's viable to continue...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
I really love Telekenetic Sage, but I just don't know if it's viable to continue...

Rorichan's Avatar


Rorichan
12.20.2011 , 01:47 PM | #11
I have a TK sage and my guild loves it. I heal when we get to a boss that kicks our arses and there's no other healer in the group though. I haven't slotted them with points though as most of mine go into the TK tree.

Shifala - Jedi Consular TK Sage || Neela'fortuna - Smuggler Gunslinger

dougan's Avatar


dougan
12.20.2011 , 06:26 PM | #12
If it's a full group and they only need a healer, they're going to kick you...they'd kick you for the same reason they'd kick a Sentinel, Gunslinger, Guardian, the list goes on.

It's not because Sage DPS is bad, it's because they need a healer--not DPS. Anyone with a brain is willing to take a Sage to fill a DPS slot, but a healer is still needed.
Dougan

Zeppelin's Avatar


Zeppelin
12.20.2011 , 09:27 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by dougan View Post
If it's a full group and they only need a healer, they're going to kick you...they'd kick you for the same reason they'd kick a Sentinel, Gunslinger, Guardian, the list goes on.

It's not because Sage DPS is bad, it's because they need a healer--not DPS. Anyone with a brain is willing to take a Sage to fill a DPS slot, but a healer is still needed.
This.
Size matters not!

The first rule about Jar Jar is we don't talk about Jar Jar.

Shlamorel's Avatar


Shlamorel
12.21.2011 , 06:58 AM | #14
As others have said, all you can do is be more clear when you are seeking out groups. For example, saying "Jedi Sage (DPS) LFG."

It's definitely not your fault if people assume you're a healer, so all you can do is try to help get past their preconceived notions.

Khadroth's Avatar


Khadroth
12.21.2011 , 07:23 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by dougan View Post
If it's a full group and they only need a healer, they're going to kick you...they'd kick you for the same reason they'd kick a Sentinel, Gunslinger, Guardian, the list goes on.

It's not because Sage DPS is bad, it's because they need a healer--not DPS. Anyone with a brain is willing to take a Sage to fill a DPS slot, but a healer is still needed.
Anyone with a brain who needs a healer, should be spamming "LF1M, Need Healer" so that their intentions are clear. It's frankly their own fault for assuming a Sage to be both capable and willing to heal. And most of us are, but I understand those who don't want to. Again the party is to blame if they don't make their needs clear from the get go.
The Starwind Legacy Anchorhead (PvP East)
"Tsu" 50 Miraluka Bala Sage "Soge" 3 Chiss Sniper
"Roronoa" 10 Pureblood Sentinel "Ashellia" 12 Borg PT
"Gene" 50 Human Gunslinger "Erza" 11 Human Jugg
"Shocktrooper" 16 Borg Comm "Hei" 1 Chiss Assassin

athx's Avatar


athx
12.23.2011 , 04:37 AM | #16
Funny, I get whispers asking if I'm willing to dps sage when groups are doing flashpoints/heroic 4s.

Point is, there are viable builds out there whether you're going for healing or dps. For sage dps, it is very viable and the damage output can be pretty astonishing.

Like others have said, communication is key and if groups are asking for dps sage, the better.

MiraBindo's Avatar


MiraBindo
12.23.2011 , 04:58 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardwan View Post
Do both, I'm mostly Telekinetic spec but always make sure Force Armor is up and throw in heals where needed. And if things start going bad I will chain my healing. Seems a bit stupid to ignore healing abilities just because you want to do damage.

So far I've found that there always seems to be a Commando or Smuggler wanting to do the healing which is why I put more into damage.
This exactly. It's common sense like this that i find lacking these days, and that's the only way to annoy me. I really don't mind if you want to spec for DPS on a sage, i welcome it. But regardless you do have a couple heals without spending points in the healing tree, might as well use them if things get rough. i have a BH merc which falls in the same category, built for DPS but theres a couple heals to toss as well, makes it more useful to the group

I was running with a sage and someone else on some heroic quest earlier (i'm a shadow, not really tanky but i can hold my own). We did just fine but there were a couple moments where a force armor or even a single heal would have been made everything so much smoother, instead i used a bunch of medpacks where a single heal per pull would have sufficed haha.

Anyway, all im sayin is you should be able to play the role you want, screw what anyone else says. but if you have the tools like a heal here or there if things get rough, might as well use it .

Cias's Avatar


Cias
12.23.2011 , 06:36 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by MiraBindo View Post
This exactly. It's common sense like this that i find lacking these days, and that's the only way to annoy me. I really don't mind if you want to spec for DPS on a sage, i welcome it. But regardless you do have a couple heals without spending points in the healing tree, might as well use them if things get rough. i have a BH merc which falls in the same category, built for DPS but theres a couple heals to toss as well, makes it more useful to the group

I was running with a sage and someone else on some heroic quest earlier (i'm a shadow, not really tanky but i can hold my own). We did just fine but there were a couple moments where a force armor or even a single heal would have been made everything so much smoother, instead i used a bunch of medpacks where a single heal per pull would have sufficed haha.

Anyway, all im sayin is you should be able to play the role you want, screw what anyone else says. but if you have the tools like a heal here or there if things get rough, might as well use it .
as a dps sage, if our healer isnt also a sage, i ALWAYS keep force armor up on the tank. its just too good not to.

Devlonir's Avatar


Devlonir
12.23.2011 , 06:58 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Cias View Post
as a dps sage, if our healer isnt also a sage, i ALWAYS keep force armor up on the tank. its just too good not to.
^^ This, untill endgame where you absolutely NEED to put out max DPS to down a boss, just make sure you use all your utility to the max.

This means:
- Shield yourself and the tank at all times (pre-shielding before pulls)
- CC tougher ranged mobs that are not being tanked
- Throw in supportive heals when damage on the party spikes

Also, with the combination of our pushback/stun and Telekinetic Throw's slow effect, we can also often protect the healer pretty well if the Tank doesn't have enough threat on a melee mob.

Support your group, not your DPS meter.

Khadroth's Avatar


Khadroth
12.23.2011 , 07:25 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Devlonir View Post
^^ This, untill endgame where you absolutely NEED to put out max DPS to down a boss, just make sure you use all your utility to the max.

This means:
- Shield yourself and the tank at all times (pre-shielding before pulls)
- CC tougher ranged mobs that are not being tanked
- Throw in supportive heals when damage on the party spikes

Also, with the combination of our pushback/stun and Telekinetic Throw's slow effect, we can also often protect the healer pretty well if the Tank doesn't have enough threat on a melee mob.

Support your group, not your DPS meter.
It's not so much even that some crazy DPS burn is required very often in hard mode, it's simply that a lot of bosses have rediculous sums of health, and trying to bubble the tank throughout a fight will OOF you faster than anything. As long as you're not spamming off-spec abilities though, you'll actually find it pretty hard to run OOF.

That said, once you're getting into hard modes you're already going to encounter some enrage mechanics. Some of them are pretty rediculously tuned atm for starter 50 gear, so stopping to do anything other than DPS will insure your group takes a collective dirt nap.
The Starwind Legacy Anchorhead (PvP East)
"Tsu" 50 Miraluka Bala Sage "Soge" 3 Chiss Sniper
"Roronoa" 10 Pureblood Sentinel "Ashellia" 12 Borg PT
"Gene" 50 Human Gunslinger "Erza" 11 Human Jugg
"Shocktrooper" 16 Borg Comm "Hei" 1 Chiss Assassin