Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I really love Telekenetic Sage, but I just don't know if it's viable to continue...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
I really love Telekenetic Sage, but I just don't know if it's viable to continue...

Fluffyburrito
12.19.2011 , 03:27 PM | #1
...because every single group I've been in has expected me to heal. I got kicked from three separate groups last night after telling them I was a telekinetic Sage.

The first two just kicked me when I said I wasn't planning on healing, and the third tried to have some sort of debate with me claiming that I didn't do any dps at all before booting me. (Despite the fact I'm putting out some pretty comparable numbers compared to other classes.)

It's not like I was rude about it at all, but I just fear this problem is going to continue forever. I really like my Telekinetic Sage, but I'm thinking that finding groups for him is going to be extremely hard.

Khadroth
12.19.2011 , 03:38 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Fluffyburrito View Post
...because every single group I've been in has expected me to heal. I got kicked from three separate groups last night after telling them I was a telekinetic Sage.

The first two just kicked me when I said I wasn't planning on healing, and the third tried to have some sort of debate with me claiming that I didn't do any dps at all before booting me. (Despite the fact I'm putting out some pretty comparable numbers compared to other classes.)

It's not like I was rude about it at all, but I just fear this problem is going to continue forever. I really like my Telekinetic Sage, but I'm thinking that finding groups for him is going to be extremely hard.
The only thing I can say is either be clear in communicating before hand that you're a DPS Sage, or be willing to try and heal if the situation warrants it. Still if those idiots reject you then it's their own loss. Even a DPS Sage is still great to bring to groups for their utility alone. Between some of the best PvE CC in the game and "Oh crap" force armor and healing coverage, groups generally are really happy to have me.

If people are stuck with the idea that all Sages are healers then frankly they're just ignorant.
The Starwind Legacy Anchorhead (PvP East)
"Tsu" 50 Miraluka Bala Sage "Soge" 3 Chiss Sniper
"Roronoa" 10 Pureblood Sentinel "Ashellia" 12 Borg PT
"Gene" 50 Human Gunslinger "Erza" 11 Human Jugg
"Shocktrooper" 16 Borg Comm "Hei" 1 Chiss Assassin

OCoChoco
12.19.2011 , 09:30 PM | #3
Yeah, ignore them and play how you want... dont listen to people telling you how to play... but always be willing to listen to advice. GL trying to find out which is which

Cluexyst
12.19.2011 , 10:28 PM | #4
I'm dps spec but I end up healing anyway. I don't really care.

Mind you this is only going to work up to a certain point.. I find a lot of my dps skills help me heal better.

For example the passive that gives me -50% force cost for my next two spells when I score a critical hit... and the dots we throw up do some decent damage as well.

Even as a dpser I throw out force armor... It absorbs SOOOOO much damage... its silly.

Devlonir
12.20.2011 , 02:16 AM | #5
People always want to pigeonhole certain classes into healing more than others.

Next time there is a Commando or Scoundrel in the group, ask them why they are not healing. For some reason, people expect all Sages to heal but do not do this of the Trooper and Smuggler healer ACs. So just put that in their faces.

tufy
12.20.2011 , 03:56 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Devlonir View Post
People always want to pigeonhole certain classes into healing more than others.

Next time there is a Commando or Scoundrel in the group, ask them why they are not healing. For some reason, people expect all Sages to heal but do not do this of the Trooper and Smuggler healer ACs. So just put that in their faces.
This.

Such claims are often offensive self-defense. In order to not be pidgeonholed into a role, players preemptively attack others for not having that specific role they are trying to avoid. Simply throw that in their face.

Raflwaffle
12.20.2011 , 05:12 AM | #7
At level 35 with balance spec I have such DPS output that people dont question my spec.

As previously stated, make it official what you are going to play when you join the party. I havn't had the problem where the party leader assumed I was a healer per sť.

Ardwan
12.20.2011 , 08:15 AM | #8
Do both, I'm mostly Telekinetic spec but always make sure Force Armor is up and throw in heals where needed. And if things start going bad I will chain my healing. Seems a bit stupid to ignore healing abilities just because you want to do damage.

So far I've found that there always seems to be a Commando or Smuggler wanting to do the healing which is why I put more into damage.

Neidzwiedz
12.20.2011 , 08:56 AM | #9
I am one of those 'solo' players of MMOs and this is one of the reasons, not the main one, but a big one. If you play a class that has any healing ability at all you will be expected to heal (unless you get a good guild) that's the way it always has been and i don't (sadly) see it changing.
I follow my own path. If our paths converge you are welcome. When our paths diverge you must choose. I follow my own path.

Lasica
12.20.2011 , 01:35 PM | #10
And I have had several dungeons group as dps while specced as a healer...