Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Assassin Specs - Deception vs Darkness

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Assassin Specs - Deception vs Darkness

Happy_Puppy's Avatar


Happy_Puppy
12.20.2011 , 08:21 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by punman View Post
You won't be 20 forever, neither will your tanks. You're at a different point in your power curve than they are.

Your observation won't hold true in end game. Unless, of course, your tanks are bad.
Duur... thats why i said i cant comment on high level. As of right now thats what happening. /rollseyes


Many class's change after leveling.. like level as a frost mage, end game pve as a arcane mage etc

Sandsz's Avatar


Sandsz
12.20.2011 , 02:01 PM | #12
Im level 22 atm and so far have leveled as Deception, got curious about the madness spec, which incidentally seemed quite OP for Sorc unless im mistaken, but may seem a tad similar for assassin so am giving this spec a try

http://torguild.net/calculator/sith-...02100000000000

Any thoughts on the spec? I took Dark Embrace initially for the force regen naurally
That's no moon. It's a space station

Rade_Harkin's Avatar


Rade_Harkin
12.20.2011 , 02:02 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Sandsz View Post
Im level 22 atm and so far have leveled as Deception, got curious about the madness spec, which incidentally seemed quite OP for Sorc unless im mistaken, but may seem a tad similar for assassin so am giving this spec a try

http://torguild.net/calculator/sith-...02100000000000

Any thoughts on the spec? I took Dark Embrace initially for the force regen naurally
You should probably just make a new thread.. it's completely off-topic.
Terra Firma - US PVP
Play for fun. Aim to win.
Recruitment Thread | Guild Website
Harkin ("Tankasin")

jrakosik's Avatar


jrakosik
12.20.2011 , 02:19 PM | #14
I played as Madness in a beta weekend up to lv. 20, in EGA, I tried deception (to lv. 20 again) and did ok, but I didn't like how it's *VERY* proc/positioning reliant, then I rerolled to a different server when my friends all went to a pvp server. I went back to Madness, maybe it's just because I'm more used to it, but I find that I'm taking down mobs/groups with so much ease that deception feels.. well bland to Madness.

Granted, I've been taking my time and only got to 23 so far on my Madness Assassin, but I'm loving how the spec plays. I've also tanked each flashpoint with ease so far (again, end game I don't expect to tank as madness) with absolutely *no* issue holding threat.

I personally haven't tried out madness in pvp, but I can see it doing well, as I hit fairly hard so far with my abilites (shock/deathfield)

Of course I think it's really based on playstyle, I just like running into a giant group, dropping deathfield, and slaughtering them in the matter of seconds.

Anron's Avatar


Anron
12.20.2011 , 02:34 PM | #15
as a full deception sin. I must say leveling is hard. Darkness can tank and let a dps companion do the job. Madness can aoe and do the job. Deception can dps and let a companion tank..but tank dies so fast it doesnt matter?

Yup thats deception life. But even without volcanic, deception ownz in pvp. Lot higher dps then darkness sin. Yeah survival is not our thing, but I never needed it anyway. If im going 1 vs 2 even I will burst down the weak one get my kill and boom im invisable again ( after level 22.)
I will wait be patience and boom I got the 2nd kill after my hp comes back. Sometimes I can even handle 2 vs 1 with deflect and expertise stims.

I really really think overall sin talents are perfect. ıts just different playstyles. And of couse each has its pros and cons.
People says until 20 deception is the way to go, which I dont agree by the way. Madness three offers lot more dps output with chain shock rather then maul dps tree.

And more bla bla bla... You got my point anyway

jrakosik's Avatar


jrakosik
12.20.2011 , 02:38 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Anron View Post
Yup thats deception life. But even without volcanic, deception ownz in pvp. Lot higher dps then darkness sin. Yeah survival is not our thing, but I never needed it anyway. If im going 1 vs 2 even I will burst down the weak one get my kill and boom im invisable again ( after level 22.)
I will wait be patience and boom I got the 2nd kill after my hp comes back. Sometimes I can even handle 2 vs 1 with deflect and expertise stims.
I think this right here, as far as pvp goes, is the mindset to use, regardless of spec, Assasin takes planning and patience in pvp, we're not warriors in the traditional sense, we're actually pretty squishy. But if done right, the right player could probably take out 2 others with various saps/stuns/cc and burst dmg. I've seen some vids from a few assassin pvpers who did really well using all the abilities of the class.

Vaestmannaeyjar's Avatar


Vaestmannaeyjar
12.20.2011 , 02:44 PM | #17
I'm a lvl 30 deception spec.
I did, however go up the madness spec for my first points to grab Double Shock.

Here's the current spec:

http://torguild.net/calculator/sith-...00000000000000

Keep in mind I will have to respec out of Crackling Charge now that Surging Charge is available to me, and go for Sith Defiance instead.

I have had no problem leveling up, against quest elites Khem Val often dies with the boss around 10% which is usually enough for me to finish it off using big CD items. Against quest elites I most often use Channel the Force, and Deflection when Khem Val is dead and I'm a biochemist with the self+companion permanent medkit and other assorted reusable stims.

CaliKillaz's Avatar


CaliKillaz
01.26.2012 , 11:27 PM | #18
Imo darkness is looking to be OP. not just because of the survivability either. I'm on a pvp server and have been HUGE into pvp in mmorpg's forever and I've always been a top dog and the only spec I'm touching is darkness. Force pull is great, you have a 10% heal which is insane for a tank, you have great survivability if you spend your tp's wisely. Obviously the damage output is slightly below madness/deception but both of those make you too squishy IMO. I go 1 vs 2 all the time and take them both out with at least 1/4 of my health to spare. If your into pvp there really isn't even an argument for anything besides darkness, but that's just my opinion. It still baffles me that bio would allow a tank to have the benefits darkness has. 30% extra force regen, nice stuns, force pull, the top talent ability is an AoE that lowers their speed and damage for a good while, a 10% heal, tons of extra defense, annnd stealth annnd the best companion/s imo - it's just ridiculous.

I must admit that the class takes skill to be legit. Unlike a IA sniper or BH you can't just 1 2, 1 2 all game with success. You have to play tactical to be a top player. It reminds me alot of marauders in that player skill is the difference between being a complete useless bum or being a boss/king. Don't think assassins are anything like a rogue bcz we aren't. Stealth --- wooooaaahh! If you wanted a rogueishh toon go w an IA operative.

Last thing - I would alllmost consider rocking with deception but it's WAYYY too reliant on proc's. It's crazy, some encounters you will have your proc's pop up damn near every second and have great burst/destroyyy them BUT other times you will go almost 15 seconds with nothing procn and get your azz ROCKED. I hate the inconsistency of that. I like going into every battle knowing exactly what my rotation will most likely be and not staring at my bar like a hawk all game praying for the proc I need...

DARKNESS BREH

poasiodss's Avatar


poasiodss
01.27.2012 , 01:05 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by CaliKillaz View Post
Imo darkness is looking to be OP. not just because of the survivability either. I'm on a pvp server and have been HUGE into pvp in mmorpg's forever and I've always been a top dog and the only spec I'm touching is darkness. Force pull is great, you have a 10% heal which is insane for a tank, you have great survivability if you spend your tp's wisely. Obviously the damage output is slightly below madness/deception but both of those make you too squishy IMO. I go 1 vs 2 all the time and take them both out with at least 1/4 of my health to spare. If your into pvp there really isn't even an argument for anything besides darkness, but that's just my opinion. It still baffles me that bio would allow a tank to have the benefits darkness has. 30% extra force regen, nice stuns, force pull, the top talent ability is an AoE that lowers their speed and damage for a good while, a 10% heal, tons of extra defense, annnd stealth annnd the best companion/s imo - it's just ridiculous.

I must admit that the class takes skill to be legit. Unlike a IA sniper or BH you can't just 1 2, 1 2 all game with success. You have to play tactical to be a top player. It reminds me alot of marauders in that player skill is the difference between being a complete useless bum or being a boss/king. Don't think assassins are anything like a rogue bcz we aren't. Stealth --- wooooaaahh! If you wanted a rogueishh toon go w an IA operative.

Last thing - I would alllmost consider rocking with deception but it's WAYYY too reliant on proc's. It's crazy, some encounters you will have your proc's pop up damn near every second and have great burst/destroyyy them BUT other times you will go almost 15 seconds with nothing procn and get your azz ROCKED. I hate the inconsistency of that. I like going into every battle knowing exactly what my rotation will most likely be and not staring at my bar like a hawk all game praying for the proc I need...

DARKNESS BREH
Arise Thread Long Since Dead
Haunt Thy Forums From Which Thou Wert Created

CaliKillaz's Avatar


CaliKillaz
01.27.2012 , 01:17 AM | #20
Wasn't aware no1 was on this ha. I will start checking the dates of last reply - thanks for the corny reminder bra