Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Assassin Specs - Deception vs Darkness

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sith Inquisitor > Assassin
Assassin Specs - Deception vs Darkness

Ahhmyface
12.19.2011 , 03:25 PM | #1
I'll start this by saying that I'm a 6 month+ F&A beta tester, so I have a lot of familiarity with the class. I've played both specs in various builds.

From the beginning deception always took a backseat to darkness. It was just better. My friend and I dueled many times, compared stats, and there was just no way deception was ever going to come ahead.

Don't get me wrong. Deception is, without a doubt, a good spec. You will do fine. But you will not be a darkness assassin. When I heard they had added an ability called "Assassinate", I assumed this was the stealth-based sin love I was waiting for. Alas, it's a base ability.

Shock is powerful on both classes, both classes have assassinate. Deception has a better discharge, and an extra stun, but Darkness has force pull now. Both classes have stealth, and force cloak. Altogether, things are pretty even so far. But then you get to defense, and the shield/absorb/parry/dodge boosts blows Deception out of the water. It seems there are only a few dps advantages to deception at an enormous cost to survivability.

Those are my observations, just wondering what other people think.
Ahhmyface- 1400 Madness Assassin
[The Bastion][/B]

Rade_Harkin
12.19.2011 , 03:44 PM | #2
Sup Face

Deception will definitely make up for the lack of defense with a stronger offense, but only after getting Voltaic Slash.

Voltaic Slash builds up Static Charges so fast your mind will short out (heh..). From there a simple Recklessness, Discharge and Shock will leave opponents smoking (heh..).

I think it's really going to come up to personal preference. All 3 trees are built really well and I'm quite happy with any build I've tried so far.

Sorry for the ridiculous puns.
Terra Firma - US PVP
Play for fun. Aim to win.
Recruitment Thread | Guild Website
Harkin ("Tankasin")

darkonnis
12.19.2011 , 04:25 PM | #3
I'm levelling as a tank and a deception sin don't seem to do that much more damage than me, madness on the other hand seems to eat bunches of mobs in ways i can only dream about. But then they can't tank so its fine.
Darth Bain, Black Dawn Syndicate - 50 Assassin - Luka Sene
Valar Morghulis, Apotheosis - 50 Marauder - Luka Sene

Rade_Harkin
12.19.2011 , 04:43 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by darkonnis View Post
I'm levelling as a tank and a deception sin don't seem to do that much more damage than me, madness on the other hand seems to eat bunches of mobs in ways i can only dream about. But then they can't tank so its fine.
Like I said.. only after getting Voltaic Slash.
Terra Firma - US PVP
Play for fun. Aim to win.
Recruitment Thread | Guild Website
Harkin ("Tankasin")

Draemos
12.20.2011 , 03:21 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Ahhmyface View Post
I'll start this by saying that I'm a 6 month+ F&A beta tester, so I have a lot of familiarity with the class. I've played both specs in various builds.

From the beginning deception always took a backseat to darkness. It was just better. My friend and I dueled many times, compared stats, and there was just no way deception was ever going to come ahead.

Don't get me wrong. Deception is, without a doubt, a good spec. You will do fine. But you will not be a darkness assassin. When I heard they had added an ability called "Assassinate", I assumed this was the stealth-based sin love I was waiting for. Alas, it's a base ability.

Shock is powerful on both classes, both classes have assassinate. Deception has a better discharge, and an extra stun, but Darkness has force pull now. Both classes have stealth, and force cloak. Altogether, things are pretty even so far. But then you get to defense, and the shield/absorb/parry/dodge boosts blows Deception out of the water. It seems there are only a few dps advantages to deception at an enormous cost to survivability.

I think you will want to slam your hand in a car door before ever trying to kill a healer or tank as Darkness.

It is a fair argument to make that Deceptions increased damage output is worthwhile, and that is has enough escape mechanisms to make up for it's survivability issues.

Having said that, I think Darkness is awesome for Huttball.

JayGunny
12.20.2011 , 03:54 AM | #6
Anyone checked out Madness class or spec yet?

Cempa
12.20.2011 , 04:59 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Ahhmyface View Post

What spec would you use for PvP?

Which level 40 gear would you get, the crit or defense?

Which companion do you use? Ashra or Revel?

darkonnis
12.20.2011 , 05:40 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
What spec would you use for PvP?

Which level 40 gear would you get, the crit or defense?

Which companion do you use? Ashra or Revel?
All depends doesnt it, what do you want to do?
Me? i like tanking and distracting the entire team so my team can open doors. I also like scoring in huttball. Darkness is where its at. If you wanted to do insane damage to all you bump into, then perhaps deception would serve you better.

Again, if you want to be a ball carrier take defence, or take crit instead.

I think this is personal preference. I keep val out while im playing because he's melee, darkside (instant win imho) has AOE and if im getting owned, sacrificial taunt
Darth Bain, Black Dawn Syndicate - 50 Assassin - Luka Sene
Valar Morghulis, Apotheosis - 50 Marauder - Luka Sene

Happy_Puppy
12.20.2011 , 07:57 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by JayGunny View Post
Anyone checked out Madness class or spec yet?
I am right now, only level 20, so cant really comment on higher level dps. As of right now noone can hold threat if im going all out. In groups I have to slow my dps or ill end up tanking the whold time.

punman
12.20.2011 , 08:18 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Happy_Puppy View Post
I am right now, only level 20, so cant really comment on higher level dps. As of right now noone can hold threat if im going all out. In groups I have to slow my dps or ill end up tanking the whold time.
You won't be 20 forever, neither will your tanks. You're at a different point in your power curve than they are.

Your observation won't hold true in end game. Unless, of course, your tanks are bad.