Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crashed to desktop since 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Crashed to desktop since 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LydMekk
10.09.2012 , 02:36 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by njsam View Post
I boot multiple Operating Systems on the same computer. On W7 64-bit, I never crash to desktop. On W7 32-bit I crash to desktop every 1 to 2 hours at least (after 1.4 patch). I'll try running the game under Vista 32-bit and post back.
Vista 32 4GB crashes within 2hrs of gametime. My W7-64 16GB goes around 5hrs before crashing.

Morpurgo
10.09.2012 , 02:50 PM | #62
Stop telling us that it's our PC's fault and fix your bloody memory leak!
Cake is a lie, there is only pie. Through pie, I gain calories.
Through calories, I gain bodyfat. Through bodyfat, I gain weight.
Through weight, my social life is broken.
The Thighmaster shall free me.

Neoforcer
10.09.2012 , 03:07 PM | #63
Have to agree with the memory leak clean install on my work computer the laptop i own and my gaming rig with no other software other then windows = memoryman.dll crash both while playing and while exiting the client.. That's 3 different PC with different hardware doing the same thing it not my hardware fault. Because what the chances i have three bad PC's yet not a one shows bad hardware.

Tell me one thing as a pc repair tech your software is full of bugs and your devs team has no idea were at this point and just says it are issue not are programming.

natashina
10.12.2012 , 08:32 PM | #64
Put me down as another Win 7 32 bit user experiencing straight to desktop. There isn't any error or the like, it just acts like I hit quit game. I did all the tips suggested by the mods(thanks again for trying to pass along the info) and I'm still crashing consistently once every 90-120 minutes. This is no matter where I am, or even how many times I've hit loading screens. ToR is an excellent game, but still very resource intensive from my viewpoint.

I finally just broke down and grabbed W7-64. I've heard that it's far more stable with the Hero Engine, so I'm going to install in the morning and see how it works out. My hubby runs 64 and he has only the very rare crashing problem, so I'll post here once I see if that helps. I also know, through some digging, that my computer will be more stable in the long term.

It does suck royally that I have to do this, but I really want to continue enjoying ToR and at this point the game is darn near unplayable for me. I'm leery of doing any FPs or even heroic quests due to the fear of crashing at any point in time. It seemed to be fixed, but 1.4 brought back some of those bugs. I'm going to do my part BioWare, so please try to do yours and get these memory leaks for W7-32 under control!

LetoAtreidesII
10.12.2012 , 09:11 PM | #65
I'm about to throw in the towel and buy Windows 7 64 bit (I use Windows 7 32 bit) so I can set up dual-boot. I have 8 gigs of RAM with 4-5 gigs sitting there unusable due to my 32-bit OS. They had this same exact issue in 1.2, then largely fixed the issue after working on it for a long time. Now with major updates every six weeks, even if they fix it it could just be back again shortly after. They should just give up on supporting the game on systems with 32-bit Windows and/or low RAM. Make it so Windows 64 bit AND 8-16 gigs of RAM are mandatory for playing the game. Problem solved, or masked anyway.

The worst part is, they haven't even acknowledged the issue this time around. Back in 1.2 the first time they fixed this, It took a long time before they acknowledged the real issue and longer still before they fixed it. So, it'll be a while before they fix this again, if they ever fix this again. As before, their poor Customer Support staff are being run ragged giving useless troubleshooting advice that stands no chance of solving the underlying issue. It wastes both their customers' time, and their CS staff's time. Instead, they should be advising everyone to upgrade to 64-bit Windows and 16+ gigs of RAM.

It would be sound advice with applicability outside of just SWTOR. This is not the only game that has memory leak/crashing issues because of 32-bit Windows and/or low RAM. I recall having similar issues in Rift and other games that my friends with 64-bit Windows never had.

natashina
10.12.2012 , 10:06 PM | #66
I've only got 4 gigs of RAM, but other posters have as much, and even then W7-64 is more stable. From the surfing I've done, all in all it works great(even with kinda low-ish RAM)with far less problems than W7-32. I've still got 2 gigs that my OS won't let me use.

And I fully agree; it's time to make W7-64 bit w/ at least 4 gigs the mandatory requirements. Some players will grumble(they always do,) but it's better than hoping each patch doesn't break the memory leak fixes on ToR's side. I feel the game is worth the OS upgrade(for me, not speaking for anyone else.) I've been meaning to do it for awhile anyways.

Edit: Noticed it with RIFT too, when I was still playing. I think the only game that hasn't in recent memory is WoW, AFAIK. I stopped playing in 2010, but I surf the boards on mmo-champ from time to time and I've heard nothing about it. But their system reqs are still much lower than the newer MMOs, so that is probably the reason why.

EllRocko
10.13.2012 , 03:04 AM | #67
Guys, as the OP of this thread I thought I should put up some kind of update.

I haven't bothered to try any of the fixes in this thread figuring that BW would hopefully fix the game but I have to say that since the patch on Tuesday (1.4.1a) I have had not had the crashing as I originally described. Could be coincidence but it seems that for me at least they seem to have fixed whatever the issue was. So for that "Thank you Bioware" and for those who are still experiencing difficulties, I hope they manage to fix them soon too.

jprife
10.13.2012 , 06:06 AM | #68
Same here. Before 1.4, the game might crash once every week or two, but now it's three-four times per day. Last night, I had a hard-lock while trying to enter a PVP warzone and had to reboot. Not fun. I submitted a ticket earlier in the week reporting the problem, and hope that it gets ironed out soon.

Kateplay
10.13.2012 , 06:15 AM | #69
Well they got back to me in email and here is there advice for you guys to try out it did not work for me at all infact I went from crashing every 4 hours to a crash within an hour

Greetings,

I am Protocol Droid M0-T0, Human-Cyborg Relations.

Thank you for contacting us regarding your performance issues with Star Wars: The Old Republic. Our development team are always working hard to improve the game’s performance, however we would like to suggest the following steps to enhance your gameplay experience.

- Open your Options ([Esc] by default), and select “Preferences”
- Go to the “Graphics” tab and then do the following
o Disable VSync
o Set Shader Complexity to “Very Low”
o Set Anti-Aliasing to “Off”
o Set Shadow Quality to “Off”
- Go to the “Nameplates” tab and uncheck “Scale Nameplates with Distance”

If you have an ATI graphics card and it is running in Crossfire mode, please also disable your Crossfire setup using the Catalyst Control Center. If you are unsure on how to do this, please contact ATI for further information.

We also recommend that you have all the options and settings for Star Wars: The Old Republic set to “use default app setting” in your NVidia Control Panel or ATI Catalyst Control Center, as any alterations may impact the game’s performance.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, should you require further assistance with this or any other issue please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid M0-T0
Xbox live ID Anastasia Hawke ■ PSN Romanus1 ■ Raptr ID Katep

jprife
10.13.2012 , 06:40 AM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Kateplay View Post
Well they got back to me in email and here is there advice for you guys to try out it did not work for me at all infact I went from crashing every 4 hours to a crash within an hour

Greetings,

I am Protocol Droid M0-T0, Human-Cyborg Relations.

Thank you for contacting us regarding your performance issues with Star Wars: The Old Republic. Our development team are always working hard to improve the game’s performance, however we would like to suggest the following steps to enhance your gameplay experience.

- Open your Options ([Esc] by default), and select “Preferences”
- Go to the “Graphics” tab and then do the following
o Disable VSync
o Set Shader Complexity to “Very Low”
o Set Anti-Aliasing to “Off”
o Set Shadow Quality to “Off”
- Go to the “Nameplates” tab and uncheck “Scale Nameplates with Distance”

If you have an ATI graphics card and it is running in Crossfire mode, please also disable your Crossfire setup using the Catalyst Control Center. If you are unsure on how to do this, please contact ATI for further information.

We also recommend that you have all the options and settings for Star Wars: The Old Republic set to “use default app setting” in your NVidia Control Panel or ATI Catalyst Control Center, as any alterations may impact the game’s performance.

Thank you for your patience and understanding, should you require further assistance with this or any other issue please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid M0-T0
So they're basically telling you to shut off all the advanced much-heralded game video features and play in low rez? Wow.