Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

I've gone through the first three pages - Queuing for WZ/FPs rationale?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
I've gone through the first three pages - Queuing for WZ/FPs rationale?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

grallmate's Avatar


grallmate
10.04.2012 , 04:36 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by SithEater View Post
What you've got is how every MMO on the market that has Qs for PVE and PVP do it. I know it seems to make your arguement more valid (even tho it really doesn't) to make it seem like they were simply to lazy to come up with the Q but not really in the Q idea of stacking. Under this solution you'd still take forever to get a FP Q to pop cause PVP pops are dime a dozen and you'd have a cloud of perpetually stuck people in the limbo in-between the two. Dan is #19 and gets out of his PVP Q and gets another 30 seconds later, so he has a whole 30 seconds for the PVE Q to pop before he's back in limbo again.

How is this in anyway a workable solution? How much of the games resources are going to be tied up keeping track of the massive cloud of people in the Q but not really because the are in a PVP match at the same time? Yes eventually they would get lucky and get a pop inbetween the two but in the meantime the only reliable way to get in a PVE grp is too...not Q up for another WZ...just like they are asking you to do now.
The number of resources required to add this solution is negligible. All it takes is:
- A "In WZ" flag for each player in queue; and
- A "If player is in WZ then select next player" statement when matching groups.
You would also need a method to flag someone as 'in WZ" when they enter one, but that shouldn't be too complex either. Something along the lines of: "If player is in GF queue, flag as 'in WZ'" when the WZ queue pops.

Total, thats 1 flag (can be done in 1 bit, but we'll say a whole byte) and a couple of lines of code. Less than 5 MB of extra memory on the server, and that's being generous.

I quite liked being able to queue for a WZ while waiting for my FP to pop while leveling. Helped break up the monotony of planets I'd run 3 times before. I used to jump on my alt, hop in both queues and quest until one popped (usually a WZ) run that, go back to questing wait for another pop and repeat. Only once did I ever have the GF queue pop while I was in a WZ, and that was 1 minute from the end so I waited it out.

I could see a queue pop being an issue if you had 3 members all drop WZ at the same time because they were waiting on one other player to join the GF queue but 1 or 2 isn't that massive, especially compared to the number of people I've seen leave when we don't get 2 caps off the bat in NC or ACW. Once my team of 8 became a team of 3.... 30 seconds into a match. We recovered numbers and ended up winning so it was sweet, but that was crazy.

Overall, I'm not saying that BW should allow dual queuing, but I really liked it and I don't use either queue as much anymore. I liked having a finger in both pies rather than all my eggs in one basket.

Lightning_'s Avatar


Lightning_
10.05.2012 , 01:39 AM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorenia View Post
There is an easy solution to both problems. Allow us to keep our position in the queue while in a warzone. If it becomes our "turn" during a warzone then simply allow the next person to go.
The best solution!

xstortion's Avatar


xstortion
10.05.2012 , 07:22 AM | #113
To be honest Wraiven these threads should have been merged at least that is what happens when we have enough mods to take care of it.

As I said in Wraiven's original thread I really dislike this change and it has taken away from my gameplay. This change has made the game worse rather than improved it for the majority of the population. As mentioned several times by doing this you are limiting the pool in both PVP & PVE which doesn't sound good to me.

Please Bioware check out some of these solutions and at least say we are looking at it, give us something.

I like many others have a DPS which takes forever for GF but I also have a tank and a healer which used to be instapops pre 1.4 now even they are taking a little bit longer. Not as long as a DPS but it is definitely not as fast as it used to be.

StefanInter's Avatar


StefanInter
10.05.2012 , 07:45 AM | #114
Another instance where BW has decided to hurt the PVe player and favor the pvp player.
SWTOR

peterjohndevries's Avatar


peterjohndevries
10.06.2012 , 05:01 AM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Lightning_ View Post
The best solution!
exactlly.
people just like doing crazy talk supporting BW on all these changes.....they are always taking the cheap, non sophisticated route to solving problems.
As a SW developer, this is not rocket science or complicated...what they are failing to do is just some good 'design'.
They should have simply implemented a hold queue spot using WZ flags that allows people to retain/regain their spot in the queue when they leave the WZ but if the PVE popped while they were in, it simply skipped them and moved to next in queue.

People are desperately trying to find SOMETHING to do in the game right now...making them stand and do nothing because they have to chose either/or is just a design fail

anakedcowboy's Avatar


anakedcowboy
10.09.2012 , 08:04 AM | #116
No mention of fixing this in today's patch notes, so reposting what the dev response should have been, and can still be:

Quote:
"We appreciate all of your suggestions about alternative ways to reduce early quitting in warzones. We have heard the frustrations of players who feel the sting of team members abandoning a warzone at a crucial moment. We also understand and are excited that our players want to participate in both the exciting PVP aspects of our game, and use our group finder to experience PVE content and complete the daily quests that require its use. We will be looking at ways to make sure both are possible, and implementing the change in an upcoming patch.

Thank you for your feedback."
The first step is acknowledging you have a problem Rob Hinkle (Senior PvP Designer)

RathSartaro's Avatar


RathSartaro
10.12.2012 , 06:23 AM | #117
We all know the reason people leave war zones. Leaving to join a fp or an op was not one of the reasons that annoyed me in the slightest

VinsinStich's Avatar


VinsinStich
10.12.2012 , 10:52 AM | #118
All you people are doing is complaining. If a player leaving is ruining your war zone have you ever thought that they might be leaving because you are ruining it for them. Not once have you suggested anything that would give them a reason to stay. Bottom line is, they don't want to play with you. You don't have the right, and you shouldn't want to force someone who doesn't want to play with you to play with you. Every player has a specific agenda when they log on, thier needs aren't being met so they go some where else to try and meet those needs. What you are saying is essentially the equivalent of, "My girlfriend should be penalized when she breaks up with me because she no longer wants to be in the relationship, this will keep her from leaving me because she won't want to be penalized." Either give these players a reason to stay, or deal with the fact that it's not working out. "It's not you it's me, I'm sure you'll find someone else."

Canarith's Avatar


Canarith
10.12.2012 , 01:03 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
This game isn't W0W and this change will have a VERY minimal impact on people leaving WZ's.
How can you say this will have a very minimal impact on people leaving warzones. If there are so many ppl that want to queue for both, it will have far more than a minimal impact. I doubt too many of the ppl will wanna be rude enough to tell their party members, "Oh, could you please wait like 12 minutes while I finish a warzone?".

SithEater's Avatar


SithEater
10.15.2012 , 01:41 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by RathSartaro View Post
We all know the reason people leave war zones. Leaving to join a fp or an op was not one of the reasons that annoyed me in the slightest
So lets see YOU say it isn't true and we are supposed to trust your word cause you have...what exactly to back up your assumption? Meanwhile the people who run the game and who have the metrics that show people were leaving WZs for FPs in great enough numbers decided they would do what ALL MMOs due to alleviate the problem, ie no queuing for both.

So it comes down to the guy who thinks he knows cause he FEELS it to be true vs. the people who actually know *** is going on because of the internal metrics they have that provide factual evidence. Hmmm who do we listen to? Such hard decisions in life!
Grand Master of the Sword in Box Form of Lightsaber Combat.