Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper Vs merc?

Darth_Bond
09.28.2012 , 04:27 PM | #1
my main is an operative healer, full clear sm TFB atm, im thinking of levelling a ranged dps ( i already have a 50 marauder, not a big fan of melee dps tbh though)

Im trying to decide which one to level to 50 as a rdps, i asked my guild they said they need a sniper more than a merc dps, in general there are also more mercs around than sniper dpsers, iv always been one to play the numbers, always figure out which class is played the most etc...play out the odds etc etc...

But i dont like the cover system very much...its still a little weird and strange to get used to...

in terms of dps numbers who comes out on top? merc or sniper? and which merc tree is considered the top pve dps tree?

thanks!
Story is so important i sold starwars to disney and asked jj abrams to direct the new star wars film....and that is why we cant have faction change!

Svii
09.28.2012 , 06:16 PM | #2
Mercs and Snipers are equal in DPS, like most classes played properly.

Cover is not a bad thing, it's a blessing!

Svii - Sniper
Impetus Norvegicus
Bloodworthy => ToFN

grallmate
09.28.2012 , 08:20 PM | #3
Cover takes a while to get used to, but once you get there its awesome. I have also yet to play a Merc so I might have missed some things about the class. Also worth noting, of the 4 classes I've maxed, Agent has by far the coolest story, especially when comparing the Act 1s.

Things to consider for the Sniper:
- Party shield
- Instant 20% armour debuff, last 45 seconds (other classes can do it too, but ours is instant and lasts longer)
- Better defensive CDs
- Entrench stops you being stunned/pulled/leaped to (great in PvP and for Kephess)
- Uninterruptable and +20% ranged Defence in Cover
- 3 exceptional DPS trees for both PvE and PvP.

Things to consider for the Merc:
- Can off-heal and has no CD on res
- Heavy armour

Darth_Bond
09.28.2012 , 09:24 PM | #4
well story for ia isnt important since i already have a 50 operative, and sniper and operatives have same story
Story is so important i sold starwars to disney and asked jj abrams to direct the new star wars film....and that is why we cant have faction change!

Darth_Bond
09.29.2012 , 03:07 PM | #5
I tried to like the snipers but i just cant....the whole concept of a ranged dps is to be fluid....and the cover mechanic just plain ol sucks...it makes the class so mechanical....and rigid

Svii
10.01.2012 , 05:08 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Bond View Post
....the whole concept of a ranged dps is to be fluid....
Oh? I thought the concept of a ranged dps was to be able to deal damage from far away, guess I was wrong!

Sarcasm aside, I find the Sniper very fluid in all three skill trees. Many people struggle with the concept of Cover for half your skills. With practice, the use of cover becomes second nature, it's all automatic for me. Hell, I even try to take cover while playing my non-sniper characters!

Svii - Sniper
Impetus Norvegicus
Bloodworthy => ToFN

yoomazir
10.02.2012 , 05:15 AM | #7
Mercs also have an armor penetration debuff for the team.

errant_knight
10.04.2012 , 01:29 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Svii View Post
Oh? I thought the concept of a ranged dps was to be able to deal damage from far away, guess I was wrong!

Sarcasm aside, I find the Sniper very fluid in all three skill trees. Many people struggle with the concept of Cover for half your skills. With practice, the use of cover becomes second nature, it's all automatic for me. Hell, I even try to take cover while playing my non-sniper characters!
It does become very natural, especially if you use cover in place instead of rolling for cover which can be unpredictable. It`s also very fun. I didn`t think I`d like it because I usually prefer melee, but it`s really great. Marksmanship, anyway. And the damage you do if fairly insane. If you get sick of being ranged, you can always throw caution to the winds and shiv someone for around 5000 damage, just for a change of pace

Rigsta
10.04.2012 , 07:13 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Bond View Post
I tried to like the snipers but i just cant....the whole concept of a ranged dps is to be fluid....and the cover mechanic just plain ol sucks...it makes the class so mechanical....and rigid
All ranged DPS involves casting, meaning that all RPDS ACs have to stand still to do optimum damage. What cover amounts to is a whole bunch of bonuses for gunslingers & snipers when they're standing still. Just bind crouch to middle mouse and you'll just find yourself using it without even needing to think about it.

I have a rakata-geared lv50 commando (merc mirror) and a lv40 sniper, the sniper is my favourite by far. Especially in PvP. The only thing I really miss is stealth scan.

rob_y
10.06.2012 , 03:10 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by errant_knight View Post
It does become very natural, especially if you use cover in place instead of rolling for cover which can be unpredictable. It`s also very fun. I didn`t think I`d like it because I usually prefer melee, but it`s really great. Marksmanship, anyway. And the damage you do if fairly insane. If you get sick of being ranged, you can always throw caution to the winds and shiv someone for around 5000 damage, just for a change of pace
Is this true? 5k damage from shiv?
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five