Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ssssttttutttterrrinnnggg

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ZandrenVexx
09.29.2012 , 03:01 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TaylorPotter View Post
Running the game in windowed mode completly eliminates the issue. not a partial fix like turning the nameplates off. At least it did for me.
While this MAY work for some....this is NOT the way I want to play. I want patches tested thouroghly, and bugs eliminated while they are on the PTR...not after the patch goes live. This issues was reported heavily on the PTR, yet it came through anyway...very, very, bad.

Fizzbang
09.29.2012 , 03:23 PM | #12
I'll start by saying that i was up playing a marathon session the Monday/Tuesday Morning before patch day. Everything was working fine graphically. Then 1.4 hit and the stuttering began.

I have tried every single fix i could find on these forums and elsewhere with no success.

Delete DiskCacheArena: Didn't work.
Rebuild Client_Settings.ini: Didn't work.
Play in windows mode: Didn't work.
Turn off shadows / graphics / nameplates / scaling: Didn't work
Change drivers: Didn't work.

For the last couple days I have been avoiding playing TOR, and when I do log in, I have sent all my characters to their ships to run deployment missions...only to find out that deployment missions are only giving half rewards right now.

The only thing i can do now is play the occasional space mission, but those get boring...fast.

Playing with stuttering graphics physically pains me. I cannot look at the screen for more than 5 minutes.

Could you give us some sort of status on when this is going to be fixed? Please?

I don't want to think that my fix is going to be "stop playing TOR", but right now, i'm paying $15/month for space missions that barely rival a flash-based web browser game.

JediNg
09.30.2012 , 07:21 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ZandrenVexx View Post
While this MAY work for some....this is NOT the way I want to play. I want patches tested thouroghly, and bugs eliminated while they are on the PTR...not after the patch goes live. This issues was reported heavily on the PTR, yet it came through anyway...very, very, bad.
Which part?
Because Fullscreen windowed looks identical to Fullscreen, except that your fullscreen gamma setting will be grayed out and not applied, and any windows that are 'always on top' will be on top of SWTOR during play.
Ritha
The Harbinger
Formerly from Ahazi, Dec Oct 2003 - Nov 2005

TRYW
09.30.2012 , 07:40 AM | #14
For those that are playing and are experiencing "physical pain" as a result, my advice for you is to, and yes, this is groundbreaking, "Step away from the computer, go outside, and take a breather." Yes, it is frustrating that you cannot play the game in a manner of which you are accustomed. Yes, you are paying monthly to play this game. Yes, you should be able to get the service for which you are paying (playing the game, not the company bowing to your every whim), but believe me, a few days away from the game isn't going to kill you.

The bug has been acknowledged. I have no doubt their staff are working on this issue. What people don't seem to understand is that threats, complaints, and whining will not make the fix come any faster, nor will starting dozens upon dozens of threads regarding the same issue. When a solution is found, it will be put into place, and then everyone can go back to complaining about what they were previously complaining about, or they can go back to playing the game; whichever comes first. I, myself, haven't played since Monday, and I was on vacation/recovering from surgery this week, so I've nothing but time to play games; time I had intended to play TOR. Unfortunately, crap happens, and I had to step away to play something else, or heaven's forbid, do something constructive.

All joking aside, if you want to help the solution come faster, here's some advice: List the issues you are having, try the suggested temp-solutions, provide feedback, and wait patiently. I understand this could be aggravating, but it would give the techs CSR a lot less text to dredge through, and a lot more productive posts for them to base their investigation on.
Road - "Hate and Subscribe!"
Jedi Covenant (PVE East)

Host of TOROCast

Darthgwar
09.30.2012 , 08:05 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Hawath View Post
Hi gatorzrule,

Rest assured, we are very aware of this issue. Our team is looking into it and hopefully we can sort this ASAP.

We remain available should you have any other demand.
Why isn't this issue listed in the known issues?
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=403398
I would think if you communicate to your customers that you are aware of the issue and are working on it, it might ease some of the frustration.
GAV DARAGON SERVER
J'ayc -- Jedi Guardian Nine -- Sniper Gwar -- Sith Juggernaut M'organ -- Gunslinger Hud'son -- Vanguard F'ilth -- Sith Assassin Mylaa -- Jedi Consular: . Bring back the orange pixel.

Skylerr
09.30.2012 , 08:43 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ZandrenVexx View Post
Where was it reported heavily?

There is a single, small, 3 page thread (was barely 1 page prior to launch) about shadows in which the very first comment after 1.4 went live was "Seems fixed on the live server. Thanks a lot Bioware for looking into that!!!". They clearly fixed the issue for some people between the test servers and live but not for everyone (probably several issues going around which are serving to confuse the issue).

I know I'm having no problems as long as I simply turn shadows down to LOW (sucks but at least its a simple workaround)... some people are reporting that stuttering may not just be a shadow problem but also a problem with some changes made to the UI (try turning off your UI and see if that changes anything... think it is ctrl+u... obviously not easy to play this way but at least you can report if it helps).
(▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ΞSKYLERR()█Ξ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

Fizzbang
09.30.2012 , 10:16 AM | #17
Here's some more info:

I am finding that the stuttering happens 100% of the time when i am targeting something besides myself.

If I am not targeting anything, the stuttering goes down to near zero.

mogresh
09.30.2012 , 11:36 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by JediNg View Post
Which part?
Because Fullscreen windowed looks identical to Fullscreen, except that your fullscreen gamma setting will be grayed out and not applied, and any windows that are 'always on top' will be on top of SWTOR during play.
While the image quality MAY appear the same, as a person who likes to seriously tweak their games for maximum performance, there is a HUGE difference between running in Fullscreen(Windowed) mode compared to dedicated Fullscreen. When in windowed mode, the windows UI is still mostly dominate and the game is being drawn inside of it. The dedicated Fullscreen mode bypasses the windows UI and takes over the screen to allow for maximum performance.

Even with a top of the line gaming rig, I still refuse to run my games in windowed mode. On some games it only gives me a 1-2fps increase, but I'll take anything I can get.

gatorzrule
09.30.2012 , 03:15 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Fizzbang View Post
Here's some more info:

I am finding that the stuttering happens 100% of the time when i am targeting something besides myself.

If I am not targeting anything, the stuttering goes down to near zero.
This. I have noticed that this is darn near the case for me also.

Skylerr
09.30.2012 , 03:32 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by mogresh View Post
While the image quality MAY appear the same, as a person who likes to seriously tweak their games for maximum performance, there is a HUGE difference between running in Fullscreen(Windowed) mode compared to dedicated Fullscreen. When in windowed mode, the windows UI is still mostly dominate and the game is being drawn inside of it. The dedicated Fullscreen mode bypasses the windows UI and takes over the screen to allow for maximum performance.

Even with a top of the line gaming rig, I still refuse to run my games in windowed mode. On some games it only gives me a 1-2fps increase, but I'll take anything I can get.
In Fullscreen (Windowed) mode the Windows UI is completed hidden. I can't stand traditional windowed mode for the reason you describe but Fullscreen (Windowed) mode is nothing like that. It looks identical to Fullscreen... the only real difference is that you lose the "Full Screen Gamma" option (which you probably weren't using anyways). Even VSYNC works as long as you enable it prior to switching to Fullscreen (Windowed). Oh... and it disables CF/SLI which is why it fixes issues in at least some cases.
(▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ΞSKYLERR()█Ξ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)