Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.4 Shadows

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lucas_Sorrell
09.27.2012 , 06:36 PM | #1
Since the recent 1.4 patch I've started getting a very large FPS lag on any planet other than fleet. Operations still work fine as do Warzones, but whenever I travel to a planet instance my FPS drops from a steady 105 to anywhere between 32 to 59. I'm assuming this is due to the new changes to shadows, I'm also fairly confident in my computers quality as I've never had an issue with FPS till now. Either way, I realize this is a new patch and all that, I was just curious as to whether this is something I can expect to see a fix to or whether I'll just have to deal with it.
As an old friend once said... "Score one for the Republic."

Ratae
09.29.2012 , 03:43 PM | #2 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hello Lucas_Sorrell,

As you can see from this post from Allison Berryman the FPS/Graphics issues since Patch 1.4 have been acknowledged:
Quote:
Hey everyone - we're aware of some issues introduced in Game Update 1.4 that may cause frame stuttering or performance problems (particularly on CrossFire or SLi setups). If you are experiencing these problems, please try disabling shadows. We are working on resolving these issues, but disabling shadows in the meantime may result in a performance increase. If you notice a performance increase after disabling shadows, please post to let us know (as some of you already have). We'll update you if we have any more information to share as we work on this issue. Thank you!
This is being worked on and we’ll come back to you with an update just as soon as we are able.

Thank you.
Ratae | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Timozha
09.30.2012 , 06:53 AM | #3
Thanks for the update.

My current setup is 2560 x 1600, nVidia Geforce GTX 690. - Disable shadows to no affect, stuttering no matter what configuration I try.

My Partners PC is setup 2560 x 1600, nVidia Geforce GTX 580 (Single GPU). - Disable shadows fixes the stuttering.

I would be happy to help with logs / troubleshooting if you require it. Please let me know.

Just for everyone's info, who may read this thread. This problem relates to in-game stuttering for many players out there with SLI type setups OR with single GPU and shadows turned on. If you have single GPU, the problem for disabling shadows will probably work. For dual GPU driver changes do NOT help for this issue, but setting your game client to windowed fullscreen will reduce the stuttering significantly and more so when on low settings. This may help to at least make the game playable until a fix is released.

netslayer
09.30.2012 , 04:22 PM | #4
the problem only slightly gets better when you disable shadows, im noticing my games memory use getting well out of hand now the main game instance has been up to 2.5gb of memory use there is a memory leak somewhere.
I7 3960x (4.6 ghz) Asus Rampage IV ExtremeCorsair Vengeance 16gb quad channel 1333Ocz Vertex 3AMD Gigabyte 7970Corsair AX1200w PSU

HiltoftheDragon
09.30.2012 , 05:31 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by netslayer View Post
the problem only slightly gets better when you disable shadows, im noticing my games memory use getting well out of hand now the main game instance has been up to 2.5gb of memory use there is a memory leak somewhere.
Theres a huge one somewhere. Ever since 1.4 has went live, I have experienced just about all the graphical issues everybody is having....including crashing to desktop around every 2 hours or so. Its getting really irritating and im about to go find something else to do if BW doesnt at least announce something about it.
The Starkillerz Legacy
Creedess - 55 Assassin * Adea - 55 Marauder * Noliana - 55 Mercenary
Serinety - 55 Operative

Skylerr
09.30.2012 , 05:37 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by HiltoftheDragon View Post
Theres a huge one somewhere. Ever since 1.4 has went live, I have experienced just about all the graphical issues everybody is having....including crashing to desktop around every 2 hours or so. Its getting really irritating and im about to go find something else to do if BW doesnt at least announce something about it.
It seems like everyone is experiencing wildly different issues with 1.4... there appear to be something like 3 or 4 root causes for the stuttering (some still get it even with shadows off) and not everyone is having memory issues (my memory usage is completely normal even after 5+ hours of play).

It is weird... maybe some driver versions floating around that are compounding issues?! I can't imagine how that would cause memory usage issues though... maybe the leak is in a particular location I haven't been to with my alts today.
(▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ΞSKYLERR()█Ξ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

Metalmac
09.30.2012 , 05:53 PM | #7
Yea memory leak explains the stuttering for Mouse/Network/Video and keyboard.

My personal thoughts are the game interface sucks. When I click on a Icon there should be ZERO DELAY.

Or if I click on a Icon it should not require 2 or more clicks when Global Cooldown is not a factor.

Nor should I click on a Icon and it responds by 2 clicking it on and off.

Running GENERIC WINDOWS 7 DRIVERS and EVERYTHING IS WINDOWS DEFAULT indicates a huge issue.

Lucas_Sorrell
10.01.2012 , 03:42 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratae View Post
Hello Lucas_Sorrell,

As you can see from this post from Allison Berryman the FPS/Graphics issues since Patch 1.4 have been acknowledged:

This is being worked on and we’ll come back to you with an update just as soon as we are able.

Thank you.
Thank you for your response, I have turned the shadows down which did help a little where as removing them completely fixed the issue of frame rate lag, however the other graphical issues, which I'm not sure how best to describe beyond, certain animations and actions causing a long streak of a particular colour to stream out in a random direction, still remains.

Thanks again for the response, it's good to know you are working on this and I look forward to a fix.
As an old friend once said... "Score one for the Republic."

_Luthais_
10.01.2012 , 05:06 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Metalmac View Post
Running GENERIC WINDOWS 7 DRIVERS and EVERYTHING IS WINDOWS DEFAULT indicates a huge issue.
It indicates that you should install the newest dx9, newest video and sound card drivers. and you should update your windows 7 SP1.

NoaFlux
10.02.2012 , 10:15 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Lucas_Sorrell View Post
Since the recent 1.4 patch I've started getting a very large FPS lag on any planet other than fleet. Operations still work fine as do Warzones, but whenever I travel to a planet instance my FPS drops from a steady 105 to anywhere between 32 to 59. I'm assuming this is due to the new changes to shadows, I'm also fairly confident in my computers quality as I've never had an issue with FPS till now. Either way, I realize this is a new patch and all that, I was just curious as to whether this is something I can expect to see a fix to or whether I'll just have to deal with it.
I am a shadow and have no problems. I have NVIDIA GEFORCE GT220.

You know what though I have everything running on low ATM. Run it on low until they fix it...?